Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Bikers go to Sacramento to fight for M/C rights  (Read 8173 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: Bikers go to Sacramento to fight for M/C rights
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2014, 02:01:46 PM »

What has freedom have to do with me paying for someone that decides to not wear proper protection?

Wear whatever you want but I should not pay for other peoples poor choices.

Rotarywing,

I agree with you 100% and I'm going to have to notify the authorities that you are not wearing a full face helmet, an armored jacket, armored pants, and a hi-viz vest in your avatar! Also you appear to be operating your motor vehicle in a reckless manner, as evidenced by the angle of lean! (I have a picture ~ your avatar ~ to prove it!) And since you do not appear to have the fiscal responsibility (only 1 CVO) to support your lack of commitment to safety, I (3 CVOs) will have to suggest jail time to the authorities.

Where does it stop???
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2014, 02:29:09 PM »

Rotarywing,

I agree with you 100% and I'm going to have to notify the authorities that you are not wearing a full face helmet, an armored jacket, armored pants, and a hi-viz vest in your avatar! Also you appear to be operating your motor vehicle in a reckless manner, as evidenced by the angle of lean! (I have a picture ~ your avatar ~ to prove it!) And since you do not appear to have the fiscal responsibility (only 1 CVO) to support your lack of commitment to safety, I (3 CVOs) will have to suggest jail time to the authorities.

Where does it stop???
[/quot

AND  ------- I sincerely hope he has not removed his factory installed reflectors, so he will be visible at night.  No wait--- I think it is much to unsafe to ride at night. We pay for the " stupid" things that people do, every second of every day, but for some reason the no helmet thing is a real problem for those that like to police everyone. And on and on and on and------

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2014, 05:03:02 PM »

Let me know how that goes for you. Very mature way to debate a topic.

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Rotarywing,

Where does it stop???
[/quot

AND  ------- I sincerely hope he has not removed his factory installed reflectors, so he will be visible at night.  No wait--- I think it is much to unsafe to ride at night. We pay for the " stupid" things that people do, every second of every day, but for some reason the no helmet thing is a real problem for those that like to police everyone. And on and on and on and------

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2014, 05:04:14 PM »

Just got a hat made of tin foil

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2014, 07:55:05 PM »

OK, enough about paying for people who refuse to take reasonable actions to protect themselves.  Let's move on to the other subject that these "motorcycle rights" threads bring to my mind.  I've gone to a great deal of effort in the past to research the Bill of Rights and the Constitution to find the claimed "rights", and I've got to admit I can't find them anywhere.  However, I am fully aware that driving or riding a motor vehicle on public roads is in fact a "PRIVILEGE" that we can enjoy as long as we meet certain requirements, such as operator licensing, vehicle registration including meeting insurance requirements, and adherence to all rules and laws of the land pertaining to using that vehicle on public roadways.  So maybe some of these folks yelling about their "rights" can point me in the right direction to get a definitive and official explanation of these "rights" of which they speak.  If I were to believe everything I read some motorcyclists seem to think they have the right to run illegal equipment, make enough noise to raise the dead in the name of "safety", and not have to adhere to valid laws and rules just because they don't agree with them.  Yup, sure would be nice if we could all just do whatever the hell we want whenever the hell we wanted to do it, as long as the other guy couldn't do the same thing and irritate the crap out of us.  Funny thing about all this "freedom" and "rights" is that in the real world often one man's so-called right conflicts with another man's right.  Thus the need for rules, hopefully determined fairly by the majority.  The opposite approach is called anarchy, and it's not a very good way to live.

Anyhow, for all those who seem to think that they should be able to do whatever they please and to hell with everyone else, good luck.  I hope a bunch of tree huggers move in next door and build a wind farm outside your bedroom window.  After all, they have "rights" too. ;)

Jerry

Oh, btw, as for the suggestion that if a biker has to wear a helmet then a car driver should have to also wear a helmet, I'll agree with you just as soon as you install on your bike all those safety features that come on modern cars and trucks.  For starters you will need to add seat belts, airbags, a roll cage (yes cars and trucks have them built into the structure to meet rollover standards), stability and traction control, ABS, crush zones, etc..  Suddenly a requirement for just a helmet doesn't look quite so bad, does it?
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2014, 09:09:38 PM »

Clearly I made reference to the legislation being considered as an erosion of freedoms. My view is that all of the justifications I have heard here supporting CA’s proposal could just as easily be used to legally legislate two wheels right off the road. Clearly we are the minority on the road, just because an action is by the majority or is legal doesn't mean that it is right.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2014, 09:19:25 PM »

I guess that my right to not wear a helmet in the no helmet required states, infringes on your right to feel miserable about yourself???

With some of the attitudes in this thread I'm amazed that some of you even have motorcycles, do y'all ever ride them? or are they too dangerous?? Did you have to get permission??

What is it about my choice to not wear a helmet that infringes on you in any way???
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2014, 09:27:55 PM »

I guess that my right to not wear a helmet in the no helmet required states, infringes on your right to feel miserable about yourself???

With some of the attitudes in this thread I'm amazed that some of you even have motorcycles, do y'all ever ride them? or are they too dangerous?? Did you have to get permission??

What is it about my choice to not wear a helmet that infringes on you in any way???

None at all, if you crush your head on the Tarmac it does not bother me, fell free to if you like.    I just don't want to pay for it.

Why so hostile? Don't tell me you get emotional about stuff of www board.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2014, 10:32:22 PM »

What has freedom have to do with me paying for someone that decides to not wear proper protection?

Wear whatever you want but I should not pay for other peoples poor choices.

You pay for them every day when your tax dollars finance correctional institutions in your state.  At least, in most instances, non-insured hospital patients medical expenses are paid not by your tax dollars but through charitable foundations associated with that particular hospital.  Your tax dollars also help finance abortions which is the biggest travesty to life so you should be much more concerned about that than somebody crashing their motorcycle without a helmet.
Jesus is Lord

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2014, 10:54:19 PM »

You pay for them every day when your tax dollars finance correctional institutions in your state.  At least, in most instances, non-insured hospital patients medical expenses are paid not by your tax dollars but through charitable foundations associated with that particular hospital.  Your tax dollars also help finance abortions which is the biggest travesty to life so you should be much more concerned about that than somebody crashing their motorcycle without a helmet.

Yeah right. Don't get abortion and religion part of this discussion to. I believe in Santa Claus

There are roughly 4,200 religions so discussions why anyone's god and believes are the correct ones is pretty useless. (What ever ones religion is of the 4,200, you will have 4,199 that thinks you are wrong, and they are correct )
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:03:09 PM by Rotarywing »

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2014, 08:38:30 AM »

MA is going to be paying for an inmates sex change...with my tax dollars.....I cant stop it.  If I wear my beanie here, they HAD BETTER collect from every resident if needed.

/WFP
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2014, 09:37:10 AM »

MA is going to be paying for an inmates sex change...with my tax dollars.....I cant stop it.  If I wear my beanie here, they HAD BETTER collect from every resident if needed.

/WFP

Ouch, yeah I really don't want to pay for that either. At least he will move to a women's prison after that, maybe he is on to something

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2014, 09:44:59 AM »

Just for clarification, are you saying A.B.A.T.E does not believe in freedom of choice? Or did I mis-read this post?
Sorry I responded to the first few words, yes to freedom of choice. The wife and I wore beanies for years full of stickers. I just liked the lightness and ease of carry. I even have a good friend that uses his to keep his kickstand from sinking in the ground. Anyway as we have aged we progressed to modular helmets now which is kind of nice for no more ringing ears burnt faces and actually don't feel as fatigued at the end of a long day in the saddle.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2014, 09:52:24 AM »

Speaking about ins rates I found out if you think you save $$ by just having the bare minimum of ins you actually get charged a higher rate and may be able to have better coverage for the same $$.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2014, 12:40:05 PM »

OK, enough about paying for people who refuse to take reasonable actions to protect themselves.  Let's move on to the other subject that these "motorcycle rights" threads bring to my mind.  I've gone to a great deal of effort in the past to research the Bill of Rights and the Constitution to find the claimed "rights", and I've got to admit I can't find them anywhere.  However, I am fully aware that driving or riding a motor vehicle on public roads is in fact a "PRIVILEGE" that we can enjoy as long as we meet certain requirements, such as operator licensing, vehicle registration including meeting insurance requirements, and adherence to all rules and laws of the land pertaining to using that vehicle on public roadways.  So maybe some of these folks yelling about their "rights" can point me in the right direction to get a definitive and official explanation of these "rights" of which they speak.  If I were to believe everything I read some motorcyclists seem to think they have the right to run illegal equipment, make enough noise to raise the dead in the name of "safety", and not have to adhere to valid laws and rules just because they don't agree with them.  Yup, sure would be nice if we could all just do whatever the hell we want whenever the hell we wanted to do it, as long as the other guy couldn't do the same thing and irritate the crap out of us.  Funny thing about all this "freedom" and "rights" is that in the real world often one man's so-called right conflicts with another man's right.  Thus the need for rules, hopefully determined fairly by the majority.  The opposite approach is called anarchy, and it's not a very good way to live.

Anyhow, for all those who seem to think that they should be able to do whatever they please and to hell with everyone else, good luck.  I hope a bunch of tree huggers move in next door and build a wind farm outside your bedroom window.  After all, they have "rights" too. ;)

Jerry

Oh, btw, as for the suggestion that if a biker has to wear a helmet then a car driver should have to also wear a helmet, I'll agree with you just as soon as you install on your bike all those safety features that come on modern cars and trucks.  For starters you will need to add seat belts, airbags, a roll cage (yes cars and trucks have them built into the structure to meet rollover standards), stability and traction control, ABS, crush zones, etc..  Suddenly a requirement for just a helmet doesn't look quite so bad, does it?

I  don't know about everyone else, but I for one do not believe, nor have I ever suggested that we should be able to do as we please and to hell with everyone else  as you stated. But I do believe when I live in a "helmet less" state, and then ride my bike without a helmet, I HAVE NOT BROKEN ANY LAWS. Apparently the majority fairly ruled that in the State of Colorado the rider still has the CHOICE to ride with or without a helmet if they are over the age of 18. So since I am over 18, I LEGALLY have the RIGHT to make the CHOICE if I want to wear a helmet or not. This is only one of the many reasons I own a home in Colorado and a second home in Arizona, which also gives you that choice. So to sum it up, if I want to ride helmet - less in the states that I reside, I will continue to do so, and if I should crack my head open on the pavement, my insurance will be paying whatever is mandated in my policy. And any thing that is over and above the limits of that policy will be paid for by everyone else. Just like they paid for my son's friend that was in an extremely bad wreck on his crotch rocket (WHILE WEARING A FULL FACED HELMET), after exhausting his insurance because of months in the hospital. I have been legally riding for over 46 years, and have been in two fairly bad bike wrecks ( both times hit from behind at a stop by a cager). Once in Colorado without a helmet and once in the left wing state of California with my mandated helmet. I survived both without any help from the government, and no cracked head and no scratched helmet. So as long as I am doing things legally, I will continue to ride without a helmet any F----n time I choose and have my 32 ounce drink in the cup holder if I choose, until someone like Bloomberg moves to Colorado or Arizona, and gets rid of our RIGHTS to CHOOSE. No one is ever going to change the way people think on the helmet laws. i just wish those that think they know what is best for me would just take care of themselves. We could write a list a mile long of things everyone has to pay for that we all feel we should not have to pay for. I think cracked heads from a motorcycle wreck is very low on that list. I won't try to convince you to not wear a helmet, and please don't try to convince me to wear one. Period.  Oh by the way, that tree hugger that just moved in next door to me is building his wind farm illegally, but he can still ride his bike without a helmet if he chooses, as he has that RIGHT.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 12:54:37 PM by 2harleys »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 25 queries.