Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: CVO RG Custom '13 replacement tires  (Read 4540 times)

Sharkbiker

CVO RG Custom '13 replacement tires
« on: January 24, 2014, 02:24:57 PM »

With 10k mikes on my '13 FLTRXSE3 I've started the hunt for a replacement rear tire. All of the posts I've read state the Michellin Commander II is the best all around performance tire.  So now I find out that not only does Michelin NOT make the 180/55 18" tire but on the front tire size of 130/60 19" Dunlop is the only manufacturer that offers these sizes.  Has anyone with a CVO RG Custom replaced their Dunlops with another brand and what did it do to performance and speedo accuracy?

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: CVO RG Custom '13 replacement tires
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 05:33:13 PM »

With 10k mikes on my '13 FLTRXSE3 I've started the hunt for a replacement rear tire. All of the posts I've read state the Michellin Commander II is the best all around performance tire.  So now I find out that not only does Michelin NOT make the 180/55 18" tire but on the front tire size of 130/60 19" Dunlop is the only manufacturer that offers these sizes.  Has anyone with a CVO RG Custom replaced their Dunlops with another brand and what did it do to performance and speedo accuracy?
Wow that sucks I have over 13k on my rear and still lots of tread left. You do a lot of burnouts?

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 07:41:46 PM »

The wheel sizes were obviously chosen by Harley to lock you into buying their H-D branded tires at their inflated prices.  Changing the wheels to a more common size is a possibility, but you can wear out one heck of a lot of Dunlops before the cost would justify the price of new wheels. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 08:12:52 PM »

i know it sux :o only got 9 thousand miles on mine and it was shot... thinking about changing my riding style so this one can last a lill longer... NOT  8)
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 08:16:53 PM »

i know it sux :o only got 9 thousand miles on mine and it was shot... thinking about changing my riding style so this one can last a lill longer... NOT  8)
Haha ride it like you stole it it's your $$ Freddy! What's shakin in Council Bluffs? Any good riding over there? I live about 3.5 hours NE of there.

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 03:30:41 AM »

The wheel sizes were obviously chosen by Harley to lock you into buying their H-D branded tires at their inflated prices.  Changing the wheels to a more common size is a possibility, but you can wear out one heck of a lot of Dunlops before the cost would justify the price of new wheels. 

Jerry

Jerry,
You are right as usual. In my nightly prayers, I always plead for alternative tires

'Use the '09 SERG for "Sport Touring" (90+ 2-up, loaded, for hours) the load range is very important to me.
For those that just barhop with their baggers, load range might not be a consideration.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:14:53 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 10:42:18 AM »

Haha ride it like you stole it it's your $$ Freddy! What's shakin in Council Bluffs? Any good riding over there? I live about 3.5 hours NE of there.
  J you know what they say a bad day riding beats a good day at work any time . Ya we got miles & miles of those twisting two lanes , only thing going on in CB now is cabin fever cant wait for this weather to break.  :2vrolijk_21:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 10:44:57 AM »

J you know what they say a bad day riding beats a good day at work any time . Ya we got miles & miles of those twisting two lanes , only thing going on in CB now is cabin fever cant wait for this weather to break.  :2vrolijk_21:
Heard that! I'd love to hit up that Quaker Steak and Lubes bike night!

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 10:55:36 AM »

Heard that! I'd love to hit up that Quaker Steak and Lubes bike night!
my girl & i never miss it , mid summer is the best time. bikes, bands & bootee , oops  :2vrolijk_21:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 12:41:40 PM »

my girl & i never miss it , mid summer is the best time. bikes, bands & bootee , oops  :2vrolijk_21:
Thanks man! Hope I can make it this year!

DtyHarry

• Junior CVO Member
  • Enjoy every day as if it's the last one...
    • CA
New tires for 2013 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 06:10:50 PM »

My Front tire, made by Dunlop, is a 130/60-19 and the rear is a 180/55-18 with the agitator wheels.

Anybody find any tires that will fit beside the stock Dunlop?  Seems like these tire sizes are only made by Dunlop for Harley, at least per "Motorcycle Superstore" that carries all brands.

Thanks for any help.
2013 CVO RG, Anniv Ed; Ohlin 159s; Race Tech Gold Emulators; Danny Grey weekday 2 up; 10" Black Chubby Apes; Fullsac DX Pipe; V&H OS 450s; chopped tour pack; TTS Mastertune; Zumo 665; Focal 165 speakers;

DtyHarry

• Junior CVO Member
  • Enjoy every day as if it's the last one...
    • CA
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 06:14:18 PM »

I just posted the same question here... You have any luck with alternative tires??
2013 CVO RG, Anniv Ed; Ohlin 159s; Race Tech Gold Emulators; Danny Grey weekday 2 up; 10" Black Chubby Apes; Fullsac DX Pipe; V&H OS 450s; chopped tour pack; TTS Mastertune; Zumo 665; Focal 165 speakers;

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 11:22:45 PM »

I see several 200x18 tires out there. Will these work on our bikes?
RETIRED! :fireman:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 09:04:15 AM »

I see several 200x18 tires out there. Will these work on our bikes?

You have to look at several factors, not just the size.  First, make sure the tire is designed to work with your stock rim size (5.00" width).  The ones I've researched are not, and they require a wider rim.  Then make sure the tire has the same or higher load rating as the original.  Once again, the ones I've researched do not have high enough load ratings because they were designed for bikes that are much lighter than a Touring model Harley.  Then you have the speed rating.  In this regard most of the tires have a speed rating higher than the stock tires, so that's not a problem.

Harley really did stick it to you guys when they designed this setup.  Most 180 series tires are designed for a 5.50" or wider rim, so of course Harley used a 5.00" rim and had Dunflop design a special proprietary tire to fit the Harley wheel and set up the contract so that Dunflop could only sell the tires through Harley.  Folks who persist in buying Harley's just have to understand the game they play and suck it up.  And tires  are just one of the many areas where they have customers over the barrel. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

xsdbs

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide
    • Vincent's Web Page
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 09:26:42 AM »

Dunlop is the only manufacturer that offers these sizes.
My local Harley Dealer usually has a "Spring Sale" on tires...

All Tires 15% OFF!
Buy a set of Tires and receive a $40 Gift Card!
Get them installed for only $49 per tire!

If you can "time it right", you can save a few dollars....

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.