Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Wards Parts Werks Cooling Fans  (Read 19241 times)

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
Re: Wards Parts Werks Cooling Fans
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 06:54:11 AM »

Installed mine this past summer with the thermal switch. I like the 'set it and forget it' aspect of it. Never had any issues with overheating afterwards when caught in traffic. Highly recommended.
Hey CAMCVO, I like that horn too!  Where'd you find that one?
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2014, 07:23:29 AM »

Hey CAMCVO, I like that horn too!  Where'd you find that one?

Thanks Speedy. I was looking for a round horn cover and couldn't make up my mind. Rather that spending a lot of money, I found this one to be reasonably priced and purchased it as a temporary solution until I come across one that I really liked. I have to say I'm happy enough with the way it looks to not be in a hurry to swap it out. Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRAG-SPECIALTIES-CHROME-FLAME-ROUND-HORN-COVER-1991-2013-HARLEY-COWBELL-HORN-/271404248811

Cam

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2014, 07:41:33 AM »

• Do I need to get the FCS at all, or will I be good enough running without them?
Being an old Porsche Air-cooled engine owner, I know these engines need air movement to stay cool. If the bike is not moving, neither is the air around the engine. So, following Porsche's lead, I made sure this was one of the first mods on my bike.
  • For those that have them, how loud are they when the bike is running (realize this could be a broad spectrum with pipe choice, etc)?
I really have to listen for them in order to hear them and even then I can only notice the fan noise when stopped at a traffic light with no other vehicles around me. Or when I shut off the bike and the fans kick in to cool down the engine, at which time I am off the bike and walking away. One more point here, the fan noise is not unpleasant at all (to me at least).
  • For those that have them AND have audio on their bikes, when these are running does it affect your ability to hear your tunes?
I have a cruiser so no audio for me (except for the V&H Big Radius 2 into 2!) but when riding with my buddy on his CVORK blasting Billy Idol's Rebel Yell, I don't hear the fans, just Billy's Yell.
  • Any issues I should be aware of if I DO decide to get them?
I got nothin'. :)
  • Anyone also try to use WPW Thermostat with the oil cooler that is on our CVO's?
I have added the HD Premium oil cooler to my CVOBO. Not exactly what you are describing, but an oil cooler, nonetheless. I swapped out the HD thermostat with the one from WPW, which opens up at a lower temperature.

Cam

Tru

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2013 Road King in Sapphire Blue (Saphira)
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2014, 08:41:33 AM »

Thanks for the replies, Cam and Phato - that does help make the decision a little easier with that info.

@Phato - the biggest reason that I would not use the chrome headbolt bridges with the FCS would be that you really won't see them too much with the fans in front of them.  Since, they're technically a no-no for the CVO 110 engine, I was going to break the rules to have it look better aesthetically.  But, since the fans will be covering most of them up, there's less of a drive to do it.  Plus, that area will get better cooling performance with them not there.  As a result, I'm meaning towards sending them back.

I think I'm going to go with a Mini Beast XR Off7 horn and the FCS fans with the thermal switch.  I'll probably see if there is a way I can adjust/replace/fabricate the mounting bracket where they could be mounted slightly higher.

Thanks again,

Tru

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2014, 09:35:58 AM »

Only thing I would say about the head bridges is make sure you have the right tools with you if you need to take them off to change a spark plug. Ask Soozie :'(

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2014, 04:08:12 PM »

Thanks for the replies, Cam and Phato - that does help make the decision a little easier with that info.

@Phato - the biggest reason that I would not use the chrome headbolt bridges with the FCS would be that you really won't see them too much with the fans in front of them.  Since, they're technically a no-no for the CVO 110 engine, I was going to break the rules to have it look better aesthetically.  But, since the fans will be covering most of them up, there's less of a drive to do it.  Plus, that area will get better cooling performance with them not there.  As a result, I'm meaning towards sending them back.

I think I'm going to go with a Mini Beast XR Off7 horn and the FCS fans with the thermal switch. I'll probably see if there is a way I can adjust/replace/fabricate the mounting bracket where they could be mounted slightly higher.

Thanks again,

Tru

You're correct that you wouldn't see much of the head bridges, and as Rooster said  - if you need to get at the plugs or compressiion releases while on the road.........I could foresee some angry words

Personally I wouldn't change the mounting location of the fans to much, Jason's write up on his site regarding his testing and development explains why they're mounted where they are - the mount positions them to direct the most airflow right at the hottest part of the cylinder.  I know, I know, every manufacturer claims theirs is best but again based on my experiences these fans work well and look pretty darn good while doing it.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2014, 07:04:09 PM »

There is also holes that go all the way through the heads at that location helping cool even more.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »

Does anyone think that this would be a problem with the Wards?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/finned-headbolt-bridge-pa-04-61400148--1

I am wondering if you would get better cooling with or without these?

:oops: :nixweiss:

I run the finned bridges with the Wards fans. Haven't noticed any problem with them. Some may not think this is good, but I think the finned bridges may actually help transfer more heat outward than not having them would. You knows?

Here's a pic with the fans, the bridges, and the (tacky?) giant chrome Ball O' Flames air horn!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2014, 08:40:22 PM »

I'm just saying if you install the bridges make sure you carry the right tool to get them off if you need to change a spark plug on the road. Luckily Roger RJobs came to the rescue for her with the correct tool.

tennesseeguy

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2014, 07:27:24 PM »

I hope it is OK to bring this thread back to life.
I just got my fan setup from Jason and I don't have Word
on this computer so I need to know where you folks mounted the thermal switch.
I see on his site the instructions are in docx and I can't view them.

Thanks for any help
Larry
2010 FLSTSE

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2014, 08:09:25 PM »

How about PDF?

tennesseeguy

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2014, 08:17:06 PM »

thank you camcvo..I do habla PDF :)
appreciate the help!!
2010 FLSTSE

HarleyGuy

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2014, 08:39:39 PM »

I have a '13 CVO Ultra and when I took it in for the 1,000 mile service I had Rinehart XT True Duals installed and had the bike dyno tuned.
My bike has never went into the "heat management mode", bit it did get very "warm" last season when I was in the NC mountains in 90 degree weather.

I installed the FCS this season with the "thermal" switch.
When I start my engine, the fans come on almost immediately and they DO NOT go off until about two minutes after I shut the engine off. My fans have never re-started without the engine being started back up so I'm hoping that this is a sign that the fans are keeping the engine cool.
The sound of the fans is noticeable at idle and very low speeds, but even the sound of the radio/iPod, you'll hardly know they're there.

Glad I got mine and I may order a pair set for my wife's '08 Heritage someday.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2014, 03:48:33 PM »

I went into "overkill" mode and have both Wards fans (transferred from a previous bike) and the Big Sky oil cooler fans. The Wards are on the thermal switch, while the BSF is manual.  I turn on the BSF for slow or stop-n-go riding, and can tell it works b/c the Wards don't come on as often or run as long as they do w/o the BSF, and the bike doesn't become a "one-lung" engine as often.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Skipper

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE-6
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2014, 11:31:59 AM »

Did anyone put thouse fans on S&S 124"? I have Jagg fan assisted oil cooler in staled, but the engine is still running hot, a specially when stop an' go (330 degree)!!
Skipper

"F..@* the Rushmore's, I'm gonna keep my Babe"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 25 queries.