Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: How much should I trust my dealer when it comes to buying a tuner and exhaust?  (Read 6654 times)

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO limited stardust silver and autumn sunset. Rinehart Slimline headers and slipons, SE extreme ventilator intake.

I have a 2014 CVO Limited coming it next month. I want a great sounding exhaust system heads and all. I'm not very knolageable when it comes to this so I don't want to be taken for a ride. They pointed out S&S heads (true dual) paired with a SE tuner and the. What ever pipes I wanted. My question is, is this a good tuner, are the heads a good set and is it good to go true dual over two into one? They said the would take out the catalytic converter witch would help with heat and better air flow. Any help would be great thanks!

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG

This is a long contested argument about what works best, I would suggest using a tuner suggested to you by the guy who will do the tuning, if he isn't familiar withe the tuner you pick the results may not be good. As far as Truduals, I prefer the sound, but 2:1 is a better option for performance increases. There are may threads on this forum about different stage kits and packages with dyno results, take the time to look through the info, and remember what type of riding you want to do before making any decisions, because you get to ride it after the mods are made.
Supershooter

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana

Vance and Hines power duals and 4 inch Rinehart mufflers. Good sound but not to loud.

As for tuner, see post above, he has the right idea.IMHO

FLHTCUSE7

I went with the V&H power duals but kept the stock mufflers. It sounds very good in my opinion. I had a set of V&H pipes purchased but decided to give the stock pipes a chance after reading on here that they sounded good. Glad I did and it saved me some money I spent on a new helmet instead. (Returned the pipes)

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO limited stardust silver and autumn sunset. Rinehart Slimline headers and slipons, SE extreme ventilator intake.

Rotarywing did you leave the cat in or have that taken out?

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

I have a 2014 CVO Limited coming it next month. I want a great sounding exhaust system heads and all. I'm not very knolageable when it comes to this so I don't want to be taken for a ride. They pointed out S&S heads (true dual) paired with a SE tuner and the. What ever pipes I wanted. My question is, is this a good tuner, are the heads a good set and is it good to go true dual over two into one? They said the would take out the catalytic converter witch would help with heat and better air flow. Any help would be great thanks!

Since you're in Minnesota, why don't you contact Mike Roland (World Class Tuning) or Bob Wright (R&D Performance), they're together on White ST. in Watertown. They can guide you as well as handle anything you need.
John

mark

I'd predict that 9 out of 10 HD dealers are going to recommend tuners made by the MoCo. 

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU

I'd predict that 9 out of 10 HD dealers are going to recommend tuners made by the MoCo. 

So true ($$ for them).  Then they send you straight in to their in-house tuner guy (more $$ for them), sell you a canned map (even more $$ for them, but maybe not optimized for your bike).  Can you tell I'm cynical about some dealers?
If you want peace, prepare for war.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded

Rotarywing did you leave the cat in or have that taken out?
The cats are in the head pipe not the muffler on your bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint

Since you're in Minnesota, why don't you contact Mike Roland (World Class Tuning) or Bob Wright (R&D Performance), they're together on White ST. in Watertown. They can guide you as well as handle anything you need.
John

Great Advice!  If you are on a limited budget, I've found that it is hard to beat the Fullsac setup.  Steve will ship you the tuner(TTS Mastertuner), X-Pipe and cores to your choosing.  It's a really easy install if you want to do a little mechanic work to save a few bucks.

I would not trust a dealer for a recommendation.

Cowboy
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:07:51 AM by CowboyBagger »
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others

Great Advice!  If you are on a limited budget, I've found that it is hard to beat the Fullsac setup.  Steve will ship you the tuner(TTS Mastertuner), X-Pipe and cores to your choosing.  It's a really easy install if you want to do a little mechanic work to save a few bucks.

I would not trust a dealer for a recommendation.

Cowboy

:2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

Cvo dude

• Full CVO Member

X2 on Fullsac  did my install myself. My consider taking it to a good tuner at some point but seems fine for now. Good stuff from Steve and great service.
2012 flhtcuse7 Fullsac dx pipe 2" baffles ,Tts master tuner

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member

Depends on the dealer.

If/when I need work done that's above my patience/skill level or warranty stuff, I cart my bike 200+ miles away to the dealer where Dave (formerly of JD's Cycleworks) is now.  The local dealers suck; Dave's doesn't.

The best you've had is the best you know.

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

John

I called world class tuning and the number is not good any more. Now R&D is that in GA?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7

HD has 2 tuners available, The SE Street Tuner, and The SE Pro Super Tuner.

The SEST is very limited "The Street Tuner permits limited tunability within the emissions range..." and to me there are much better choices out there, including the SEPST. The SEST will not accommodate any further mods, (cams etc...) the SEPST (and others) will.

Harley is getting really picky about mods and has the right to void your warranty for tampering with emissions control devices, that is something that you need to speak about with your Dealer (are they going to stand behind the bike with the mods that they are recommending?) I would pay a little more$ for your Dealer to do the work for this very reason. Also get an "out the door price on the mods that they are recommending, as tuning can add up$$.

I'm not a big fan of the true duals, but there are those that really like them...

You might want to put some miles (at least the 1k checkup) on the bike first, before you commit...   
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 25 queries.