Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Extended service plan (ESP) worth the price?  (Read 14935 times)

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
Re: Extended service plan (ESP) worth the price?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 10:43:32 PM »

no, matter what you are told,only time will tell if the warranty is worth the price!!! ;)

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 10:55:08 PM »

Ok so I ordered my bike should be here mid March. The dealer went over some things to think about. They offered the 2+5 year ESP for $1699 and the same time frame on the rim and tire coverage for $1999. So seven years of "bumper to bumper coverage" they said it is the same as the warranty you get for two years just extended. Has anyone had to use it if so what is not covered? I tried looking for current info on it and found nothing.
Some benefit from them but the majority do not, if the odds were in your favor they would not be marketing them.

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO limited stardust silver and autumn sunset. Rinehart Slimline headers and slipons, SE extreme ventilator intake.
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 10:57:13 PM »

I think I'm going to take the ESP and see what the out come is down the road. I do agree dealers are out to make money and ESPs are very profitable for the dealers. I also think better safe then sorry. I'm still on the fence when it comes to the tire/rim coverage.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 11:38:13 PM »

my esp expired a couple months ago - i can't believe how fast time has flown.

ended up with new rings, new header pipes & some other bits and pieces - in the shop two times over all that time. [well, plus quite a few tires]

when its all said and done i would have been ahead without the esp, IF i put the cash in savings and tapped it when something broke.

oh well live and learn

to

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 04:13:05 AM »

If you ride it.. take the ESP + tire and wheel.

On the wife's 11 Road King we did not.. in three years less that 4K...

On my '12 FLTRXSE... 3 tires, one front wheel, three radio replacements... and so on... Consider I ride this everyday in all weather (no snow) and the bike sits in an open lot at work with no cover.

Well worth it.... IMHO... I replaced 4 tires. They covered three... the fourth was a little too far gone and it didnt have any debris in it...

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 07:55:20 AM »

I think mileage is the key word here. I f you ride enough the tire and wheel will pay for them self. I had 2 new tire from damage. The extended warranty  saved me 9000.00 over the extra five years.   It was an 07 SERK . They were the worst of the bikes it looks like but I still bought the ESPO fort he 14 SERK. I put about 12000 miles a year and plan on more as I age I hope.    Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 09:08:08 AM »

It's American union labor, get the warranty.  :2vrolijk_21:

I'd rather have American union labor any day versus the cheap crap Chinese labor involved in many of the cheap crap parts Harley installs on their bikes and sells in their accessory and motor clothes boutiques.  And the vast majority of the failures on the bikes are not related to the American assembly labor, but rather the lousy design work and lousy purchased part quality and excessive cost cutting by management.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 09:57:14 AM »

I'd rather have American union labor any day versus the cheap crap Chinese labor involved in many of the cheap crap parts Harley installs on their bikes and sells in their accessory and motor clothes boutiques.  And the vast majority of the failures on the bikes are not related to the American assembly labor, but rather the lousy design work and lousy purchased part quality and excessive cost cutting by management.

Jerry
Very true, Brother!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »

You will note that ESP for cars have both a time limit and mileage limit.  The actuaries know they can get hurt
if they allow unlimited mileage in their plans.  Whoever said the number of miles you ride dictates whether the ESP makes financial sense struck the nail on the head!  What that number is, who knows?   
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 11:01:13 AM »

I think I'm going to take the ESP and see what the out come is down the road. I do agree dealers are out to make money and ESPs are very profitable for the dealers. I also think better safe then sorry. I'm still on the fence when it comes to the tire/rim coverage.
if you ride very often,you probably made the right choice and only time will tell. if, it helps you sleep a little better then its probably a good choice for you. i bought it and the verdict is still out, but i do ride whenever and wherever when i can with a little more confidence and security. only you know if the esp is worth it to your situation. congrats on the coming of a new ride! :2vrolijk_21: :pepper: :pineapple:

mark

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 11:12:53 AM »

Every time someone posts a question about getting an ESP, there's always the two sides that emerge: the pro-ESP and anti-ESP crowd.  We read many antidotal responses in which riders credit the ESP with saving them money.  However, logic dictates there is a much larger number of owners that never come close to breaking even.

If buying an ESP gives you comfort and piece of mind, then buy it, you'll ride with ease.  

ole bill

• Fullsac baffles, 7" Freedom windshield

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 11:20:12 AM »

If you trade every  2 years skip it, if you ride a lot of miles, and you need to feel content, then buy it.
IBA #58709
HOG Senior Road Captain

CaptKaos

• 2012 FLHXSE3
    • ON

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2014, 09:01:22 PM »

I took the 5 yr + tire and wheel have not had to use it yet but another comment I had from the dealer was about trade in. If you have the ESP the bike can be more desirable if there is time left on the ESP vs none.

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 02:49:34 PM »

Crank went out on my 2010 w/ 15,000 miles on it.  Had the ESP from the dealer, and found out the following:

1.  The warranty company is CNA Warranty, it is not a Harley Davidson program that the dealer is selling you.
2.  Shop rates are negotiated in the contract, so the dealer loses $ on the work, and if you go with an independent shop, they will get screwed on the reimbursement from CNA.
3.  They are really looking for any engine modifications, including tuners, which ALL void the warranty by contract, even the HD Tuner.
4.  I would still buy the warranty, as it is better than nothing and covers an extensive amount of other things on the bike.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO limited stardust silver and autumn sunset. Rinehart Slimline headers and slipons, SE extreme ventilator intake.
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 03:20:06 PM »

Mike did you have anything done to the bike other then stock?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.