Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Extended service plan (ESP) worth the price?  (Read 14934 times)

ultrarider123

Re:
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2014, 01:48:10 PM »

I bought the ESP with my 2014 Limited.   I was initially planning to have the dealer install Rineharts and a super tuner, but I changed my mind after learning it would void the warranty. It says so in the catalog and i confirmed it on the phone to Milwaukee. The dealer tried hard to convince me that they would look out for me, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.  I went with Street Cannons and a download and couldn't be happier.  All street legal and warranty intact. The catalog clearly indicated what parts are street legal as well as what parts will or won't void the warranty.

One other thing concerning the statement your dealer made......no matter how you feel about that dealer, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER (did I say that enough)....NEVER trust one that makes this comment and I don't care how long you've known them.  If you don't get outside their "realm" of coverage (more than 50 miles), this could possibly work however I still wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw my bike.
If you take your bike on trips where you get outside their "area", ain't no way this works.  Sales pitch all the way......just something to ponder on again.... ;D

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2013 Road King in Sapphire Blue (Saphira)
Re: Extended service plan (ESP) worth the price?
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2014, 02:00:14 PM »

Very good points, Haird.  I'm deliberating that myself, but have quite a bit of time before reaching a decision (factory warranty on Saphira doesn't run out until Sept. 2015).  I won't be putting a ton of miles on baby for the first few years due to my existing schedule (working full-time and going back to school full-time right now).  That actually makes it harder because I won't have as much of an opportunity for things to rise to the surface from usage.

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2014, 02:48:23 PM »

Having experienced this, and then having an opportunity to speak with the President of CNA Warranty Company (I'm an Insurance Agent and know the CEO of CNA) about my experience on this, I still believe I would purchase the warranty on the bike.  I agree with much of what has been said, and like I told CNA's President, I have several concerns about the contract and enforcing the contract given the relationship with the dealers that everyone knows is going on.  It seems counter intuitive, but in my case, even with the modifications, I was able to get coverage and will basically pay for my new S&S motor after selling the rebuilt 110 this spring.  So using the gambling analogy, is it worth the $ to get some coverage, or keeping the money and having no coverage?  That's what makes gambling fun ;)

Harley is not the culprit and CNA is not the culprit, if that were the case, then I wouldn't have the same decision to make on my Ford F250, BMW, Nissan, Mastercraft, Ski Doo's, Sea Doo's, and Yamaha!  Stuff breaks, and you have to decide on how you want to deal with it.  My concerns earlier, and my discussion with CNA, was that the Dealer needs to do a better job of helping the consumer understand what voids the warranty, and how and where the warranty provides coverage (see adding a plow to your Ford truck), and then let the consumer decide.  Ford doesn't make bad trucks, and BMW makes awesome cars; they just have to draw the line somewhere.

Bottom line is that the warranty is a good deal if you use it, and not a good deal if you don't or modify your bike to the point where it voids the warranty.  Everyone has to figure that out on their own. :soapbox:
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO limited stardust silver and autumn sunset. Rinehart Slimline headers and slipons, SE extreme ventilator intake.
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2014, 02:59:40 PM »

All I want is a full exhaust system that sounds great. But having to tap into the ECM to tune the bike could screw me. Does all electrical run through the ECM? If so now that opens me up for void coverage on electrical.

mark

Re:
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2014, 09:00:21 PM »

One other thing concerning the statement your dealer made......no matter how you feel about that dealer, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER (did I say that enough)....NEVER trust one that makes this comment and I don't care how long you've known them.  If you don't get outside their "realm" of coverage (more than 50 miles), this could possibly work however I still wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw my bike.
If you take your bike on trips where you get outside their "area", ain't no way this works.  Sales pitch all the way......just something to ponder on again.... ;D

Haird's right.  If it's not on paper, it isn't worth a bucket of warm spit.  All those verbal promises...useless.  Ask yourself this: is the guy who told you that even going to be working there in 2 yrs?  Will the dealership even be owned by the same person?  Even if the dealership made verbal promises, do you really want to go thru the heartache and aggravation of getting caught between the MoCo, the dealer, and CNA if you have a claim?

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO limited stardust silver and autumn sunset. Rinehart Slimline headers and slipons, SE extreme ventilator intake.
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2014, 09:13:45 PM »

I went to the dealer tonight and wanted the fine print. They have me a blank contract with all the info. I will go over it tonight. They told me it is a Harley warranty.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2014, 09:42:05 PM »

its not a warranty, its a service contract.

and its paid for by a third party

and non hd shops can do esp work - a few non hd shops specialize in that sort of work

there is a world of difference between a warranty and a service contract - there are laws about warranties - service contracts are just contracts - basically the esp boils down to this:  i agree to leave my bike as is, factory stone stock, change the oil and ride it - you , hd esp, agree to fix anything that goes wrong.

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2014, 01:21:27 AM »

All I want is a full exhaust system that sounds great. But having to tap into the ECM to tune the bike could screw me. Does all electrical run through the ECM? If so now that opens me up for void coverage on electrical.

I had my bike tuned 500 miles after I got it with a Fullsac system.  I just had the ECM, security module and heated grips replaced because it was shorting out.  All covered under ESP except the $50 deductible.
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2014, 01:26:10 AM »

I had my bike tuned 500 miles after I got it with a Fullsac system.  I just had the ECM, security module and heated grips replaced because it was shorting out.  All covered under ESP except the $50 deductible.

Good to know. At this point I think I'm moving foreword with the exhaust system idea and getting the ESP. Only time will tell what comes of it all. All I know is I want my bike the way I want it and if on the off chance something happens well so be it.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2014, 09:03:16 AM »

Good to know. At this point I think I'm moving foreword with the exhaust system idea and getting the ESP. Only time will tell what comes of it all. All I know is I want my bike the way I want it and if on the off chance something happens well so be it.

If all you want is an exhaust sytem and no concerns on the warranty, then just have the dealer use the street legal tuner for a stage one tune. But, if you ever decide to do other mods that tuner wil have to be replaced.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2014, 10:27:48 AM »

That was my thinking at first. For the extra $ I can have the pro tuner and then down the road if I want more done I'm ready.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2014, 12:33:23 PM »

Jerry and others often make people aware of the difference in the ESP.  Just prior to purchasing my bike (08) I got a tour of the service area from the SM and was told don't worry about a thing we will take good care of you.  He even went on to say they will cover anything they sell and install regardless of policies.  Some dealers are better than others but most get amnesia.  Some of you may remember a photo I posted of all the metal stuck on the primary magnet.  I was told that it was normal and common for a bike with high mileage.  It was banging loudly at start up & didn't shift as smoothly as before.  I pleaded with them to take a look inside but 3 dealers said if we don't find anything really substantial we will have to charge you and it won't be cheap.  The SM that told me he would take care of me told me that if he could just see the part he would cover it but other than that he strongly suggested that I ride it hard until it completely failed and they would get a new motor installed for me.  I didn't think that was the way to go for me. I asked him if I brought in the part's would he do the repairs, he said I don't usually do this but if you get it the parts here tomorrow I will see what I could do.  So the next day I brought in a badly stripped clutch basket thinking he would live up to his word but he just got angry and he told me you took it off now you own it!  Again nothing in writing,  the metal that came off the clutch basket damaged about everything in the primary so it was a new clutch basket, compensator, adjusting chain, etc. on my dime.  I'm just guessing here but I'm pretty sure the early 110's were very problematic compared to the newer ones.  Many of us have been deceived on numerous occasions, sold products that were supposed to solve the issues,  poor labor and other sub standard methods of running a business.  If you plan to ride it hard or rack up the miles and lack the time or skill to do the maintenance & repairs it may be worth it for you.  My story has nothing special or unusual about it, many have been forced to deal with much worse.  I was not an educated owner, I relied on their word and did not check my policy or get things in writing.   

Words to follow from the good book,  "You shall not steal, nor deal falsely nor lie to one another"  When I was younger I was guilty of breaking that statement, now I do my best to conform to those words. 
There is a lot of "dealing falsely" between the Dealerships that's for sure.

Not many forums have the people that take the time & effort to give you all the info you need to make a good decision,  I wish I had heard about this site before I got into so much turmoil.       

Freddie_ray

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2014, 12:58:22 PM »

Although I don't own a CVO I ride a 2012 Ultra Limited. When I purchased it 2 years ago I purchased the Tire & Wheel warranty along with the 3 year service plan. At 15000 my tires are at 4/32 so no replacement as yet, but I've not paid for service yet. I have 1 more year left. next month my 2 year factory warranty expires and the service writer asked if I were interested in the extended. I'm still up in the air about it. I think I will obtain a pre paid CC and put money on it every month, that way should i have a breakdown I'll pay for it with the CC.I've change the exhaust and have a TTS on it now but plan to switch over to FulSac and other mufflers. I love the HD brand, but I would never trust Harley concerning any warranty issues where parts have been changed on the bike. The MoCo is no better than a cracked out whore on the street corner.   :o

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2014, 01:35:25 PM »

I am very grateful for everyone responding to this. You have all helped me in a big way. This is my first Harley, I've been riding the same bike now for years and it was a Yamaha. So for me to be buying my first new bike I just want to make as few bad decisions as possible. I'm not even 30 yet so I'm a newbie to buying new. I have a lot to learn in the way of dealing.   :)

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2014, 09:08:54 AM »

I get it for peace of mind, if anything. 
RayZ
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.