Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: My 110 took a dump on the way home from Daytona  (Read 22896 times)

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: My 110 took a dump on the way home from Daytona
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 08:40:39 PM »

When we've had clients here with a "normal noise" that our local dealer has grossly mis-diagnosed, it has always been lifter-related in those 110"s.
S&S lifters have been our go-to lifter here for a looooong time, and for good reason.
Those, combined with a good lifter load of .140-.150", tames the noises, ups the reliability 1000 fold, and allows us and the client to sleep soundly.
Installing the same "genuine" parts, may very well result in the same "genuine" problems.
Scott
  I have not had any issues with my 110 at 10.000 miles would it be good insurance to replace the lifters and pushrods  to help prevent any problems????

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2014, 08:42:04 PM »

Words out that ESP inspectors are now wanting to see ECM values now in order for claim denial. I was denied coverage due to a piggyback unit over a year ago. They are tightening up the reigns.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2014, 09:13:15 PM »

Left out Friday morning for Daytona.  Great ride down, no worries, rode all the way down, ride got warmer farther south i went. Spent three great days riding around Florida and seeing the sites around Daytona.  First time i have been back to this rally since 2005.  Left out Tuesday morning, in brilliant sunshine, lite easy breeze.  Filled up the tank set the cruise for a leisurely ride back on the Freeway, until, i got out of Florida. Stopped for gas approx 200 miles later 95 N to Jville, 10 West to Tallahassee.  Everything ok.  Bike running good.  Had something to drink and a snack.  Back on the bike, cruising along. Stopped at rest area for a nature break about 30 to 40 miles from Tallahassee, bike had a loud tick, i thought maybe it was starting to warm up a bit.  Cut it off, went to use facilities, came back started bike and tick was very pronounced.  Listened for a minute, no miss, good oil pressure (10 PSI for a warm stock 110) at idle.

got back on freeway, riding toward Tallahassee, bike starting to get warm, seat starting to get warm, R leg, starting to get real warm.  Oil Pressure 32 PSI.

Get into Tallahassee, bike is getting uncomfortably hot, noise getting very loud.  Saw sign for Harley dealer Tallahassee Harley-Davidson. Took exit, pulled in cut bike off, very loud tick.  Talked with service pulled bike in to service.  1 hour later.  Diagnosis....

Lifter grenades, metal in cam chest, cams scored, cam plate scored, crank scored, case busted in lifter galley, oil pump scored, metal in oil, oil pan, oil cooler, and i am guessing it probably ruined the cylinders as well.  They did not take the heads off, bike was running under its own power when i pulled into the dealer and was running (although not perfect) at speed on the freeway.  Never lost oil pressure....

So ESP sent a inspector out (very quickly too) and i am waiting after an overnight stay and a 600 mile rental car trip home to hear about my bike.

Engine had approximately 18.5K on it and has been routinely serviced by Harley.  Had Syn 3 in it for all engine oil services, was not hot rodded, and was my long distance touring bike, set up with lowers and a tour pack.  I had the bike into the dealer at approx 17K and with about a month left on the original warranty before ESP kicked in, asking them to determine the ticking noise i was hearing upon startup as i suspected the lifters were going bad. I was told in writing to "ride the bike" they could not duplicate the noise.

So, for those of you with 110's, check your lifters. 

I now get to see what ESP is going to do, rebuild, replace or what?

What would you guys prefer, repair, or replace... I ride 25 to 30K a year.  Approx 15 on this bike.  the rest on another.

Bike is a 2012 RG Skunk Model

'Surprised ESP didn't deny the claim since you added a Tour Pak and Lowers :'(

All kidding aside, (I starred in the exact same movie with the '09 SERG last Oct. "taking the long way home from Sturgis")

ESP will have to give you (or probably have the Dealer build you) a new motor, since your cases are damaged and the VIN has to remain intact. ESP will skimp where ever they can, but if you plan to keep your Skunk stock throughout the rest of the ESP period, than just let the Dealer do his thing, and the next time it blows, ESP will have to eat another one. If you plan to mod the motor at all (say for instance, you want to upgrade to some decent lifters ~ have another failure ~ even if the failure is unrelated, ESP will deny that claim!) then you might consider doing what I and others here have done, take the ESP $ and Build / Buy a motor that you can have confidence in...
Good Luck,     
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 02:25:45 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Bike30

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 09:17:53 PM »

When we've had clients here with a "normal noise" that our local dealer has grossly mis-diagnosed, it has always been lifter-related in those 110"s.
S&S lifters have been our go-to lifter here for a looooong time, and for good reason.
Those, combined with a good lifter load of .140-.150", tames the noises, ups the reliability 1000 fold, and allows us and the client to sleep soundly.
Installing the same "genuine" parts, may very well result in the same "genuine" problems.
Scott

This Thread has two topics. Before it gets lost, can you please recommend an S&S P/N for the lifters you prefer for the current 110 CVO?. Are travel limiters a good option, or do the ones you install come with them already?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2014, 09:41:59 PM »

This Thread has two topics. Before it gets lost, can you please recommend an S&S P/N for the lifters you prefer for the current 110 CVO?. Are travel limiters a good option, or do the ones you install come with them already?

S&S Premium Lifters w/o Limiters, go to the S&S web site.
I asked the same question about the limiters, and all the Builders said "no limiters"
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

lennyj

• PA

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2014, 10:06:51 PM »

Are these the ones I want?  My builder is about to install fueling ones.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2014, 10:07:05 PM »

I have not had any issues with my 110 at 10.000 miles would it be good insurance to replace the lifters and pushrods  to help prevent any problems????

At 10,000 miles absolutely!
Have Pat install the S&S lifters.
It's cheap insurance.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Bike30

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2014, 10:21:42 PM »

Great sharing of info...thanks all...too bad the OP had to open this can of worms again for all to smell.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2014, 10:34:59 PM »

At 10,000 miles absolutely!
Have Pat install the S&S lifters.
It's cheap insurance.

SBB       How about the pushrods and what are the part #s   for pushrod and lifters  I will have the bike in for bars led daymakers and speaker upgrades so might as well do it all at once

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2014, 11:28:07 PM »

Are these the ones I want?  My builder is about to install fueling ones.
The ones without limiters are part no. 330-0175.  Just had them put in my '07.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2014, 11:42:33 PM »

Skippy,
When I asked Oasis about pushrods, they told me the SE Premium Tapered Quick-Install Adjustable Pushrods p/n18404-08 "are a mechanics dream" 'am sure that S&S are good to go also.

Snakebyte

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2014, 06:16:28 AM »

With all that metal debris floating around in all the oil passage ways,  make sure they thoroughly flush, or replace the oil cooler. That thig is probably full of contaminated oil. Maybe pay a few extra bucks and get them to put in a 120R

That's is what I would do.
Sorry to here what happened. How many miles did you go with the noise?

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2014, 11:17:56 AM »

On page 50 of the latest American Iorning mag, Donny Petersen talks about Jims Powerglide ll
Lifters.  He sez it's the only lifter on the market (as far as he knows) that has oil feed to the roller axle. 
Anybody have experience with these?
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »

My 2013 110 At 15 k just got done with cams/ lifters ect all I can add about the lifters is replace them !!! One of them had a score/ scratch on the roller and cam probly got them out of there just in time ?? Can post up a pic later if any interest in seeing it
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Bike30

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2014, 12:41:07 PM »

My 2013 110 At 15 k just got done with cams/ lifters ect all I can add about the lifters is replace them !!! One of them had a score/ scratch on the roller and cam probly got them out of there just in time ?? Can post up a pic later if any interest in seeing it

I'd like to see what they looked like at 15K.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.