Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Ohlins HD357 "Motor Officer Shocks"  (Read 12006 times)

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO FLHTCUSE8
Ohlins HD357 "Motor Officer Shocks"
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 08:05:21 AM »

Well, I ran it in pretty hard yesterday for the  "long way" down the Jersey shore for a Max's famous hot dog. About 200mi on varied roads: tight twisties, sweepers, highway, shore traffic, LOL! Lots of 50mph two-lane roads to attack. The bike has simply never handled or ridden better. Considering I've invested more than quadruple the original purchase price in this bike over the last 15-plus years, this is the single best mod/upgrade I've ever performed. Even that "hinge in the middle of the bike" feeling any owner of a pre-2008 FL chassis knows all too well, is greatly reduced. The limiting factor is, as always, cornering clearance. Leaned-over this beast has never been this stable. I am mildly concerned that, given the greatly improved chassis behavior,  I'll resist all my training,experience and common sense and push those dual 130mm-width high-profile 16" WWW OEM H-D/Dunlop bias tires a little too far. It is an over-900# behemoth of a cruiser after-all! My extremely competent (I helped train him, LOL) 20k-plus/year GL1800-riding buddy who just returned from his third 8k 700mi/day cross-country ride has ridden all my bikes, especially this one, on numerous occasions. He was blown away by the ride quality, control, stability and handling of the OHLINS suspension. He used the words "brand-new bike" multiple times. Bear in mind he scoffed at my then-new '13 CVO "Screaming Eagle" Ultra...until he rode it and loved it. He thought it'd be "screaming" to try to keep up with his Wing. He was shocked that it could, and then some, at least in the twisties. He was impressed and I continue to be impressed with this pricy, but worthy, upgrade. If I was keeping the CVO, it'd get the same TOL full OHLINS suspension, no question in my mind.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 09:38:06 AM by kmh364 »

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: Ohlins HD357 "Motor Officer Shocks"
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2014, 11:54:38 AM »

Well, I ran it in pretty hard yesterday for the  "long way" down the Jersey shore for a Max's famous hot dog. About 200mi on varied roads: tight twisties, sweepers,

OK, I'll bite - what tight twisties, sweepers etc did you ride to get to Long Branch?
What have met for a dog or two if we had known  :2vrolijk_21:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2014, 03:35:44 PM »

Well, I ran it in pretty hard yesterday for the  "long way" down the Jersey shore for a Max's famous hot dog. About 200mi on varied roads: tight twisties, sweepers, highway, shore traffic, LOL! Lots of 50mph two-lane roads to attack. The bike has simply never handled or ridden better. Considering I've invested more than quadruple the original purchase price in this bike over the last 15-plus years, this is the single best mod/upgrade I've ever performed. Even that "hinge in the middle of the bike" feeling any owner of a pre-2008 FL chassis knows all too well, is greatly reduced. The limiting factor is, as always, cornering clearance. Leaned-over this beast has never been this stable. I am mildly concerned that, given the greatly improved chassis behavior,  I'll resist all my training,experience and common sense and push those dual 130-width high-profile 16" bias tires a little too far. It is an over-900# behemoth of a cruiser after-all! My extremely competent (I helped train him, LOL) 20k-plus/year GL1800-riding buddy who just returned from his third 8k 700mi/day cross-country ride has ridden all my bikes, especially this one, on numerous occasions. He was blown away by the ride quality, control, stability and handling of the OHLINS suspension. He used the words "brand-new bike" multiple times. Bear in mind he scoffed at my then-new '13 CVO "Screaming Eagle" Ultra...until he rode it and loved it. He thought it'd be "screaming" to try to keep up with his Wing. He was shocked that it could, and then some, at least in the twisties. He was impressed and I continue to be impressed with this pricy, but worthy, upgrade. If I was keeping the CVO, it'd get the same full-TOL OHLINS suspension, no question in my mind.
Thats awesome news! Thanks for the great report! I hear what Rotarywing says about a Harley never being a sport bike but physics still do apply and like someone on this forum said once, "sometimes riding a slow bike fast can be as or more exhilarating than a fast bike fast"...
Alan

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2014, 06:51:23 PM »

YW. I rode again today, despite the atrocious heat/humidity here in NJ. Each time I throw a leg over, it validates my suspension choice further.

Aptly put! While certainly not the weapon of choice for most sporting duty, it honks for a tank and can be hustled through the twisties at a surprising pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2014, 06:58:24 PM »

My buddy lives in New Egypt-Plumstead Township where there's surprisingly lots of tasty twisty bits, and the area around the Manasquan reservoir isn't too shabby either. The ride to Maxs ended up being a huge open-ended box taking us east then south of Long branch and back up the coast. Not the quickest way, but excepting the traffic near Belmar, it offered a nice mix of riding situations.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2014, 07:04:17 PM »

Catch the rain? I did a bit. I'm a couple miles from the Belmar beach.
I originally thought you were coming from the north.

There are a few decent rides between Belmar and New Egypt. Just not long enough  :nixweiss:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2014, 07:11:45 PM »

Beat the rain. Yesterday was great, hotter than today, but without the humidity. I rode about an hour to Plumstead, from New Brunswick (all nice back roads), then took the very long way to Max's. My bud rides daily, so he knows all the nice back roads around Jackson/Plumstead after about 14yrs and there's a distinct lack of traffic and LEO's making it even better.

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2014, 05:52:47 PM »

Just confirmed with Ohlins USA that fitment for the FKC-101 fork cartridges are for UP TO 2013 FLH's. Apparently, 2014-up Touring models are using different forks. They're working on cartridges for that application, but they aren't yet available. They also stated that, while authorized dealers may have some left, the original shipment of 50 sets is sold-out and a new shipment of 50 isn't due until Sept. 14.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:56:58 AM by kmh364 »

lqqk_out

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2015, 08:26:07 PM »

Looking for the photos where the reservoirs are mounted under the tour-pak. Did you ever move them and post photos?

I you actually "ride" the bike, then you can't go wrong with these shocks.  I'm away for work at present, but hope to get the reservoirs moved in the next few weeks.  I'll post photos here when done.

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2015, 06:24:48 AM »

I have them but didn't install yet so would be curious to the tour pak mounting position.
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Masterblaster

• Hoka Hey #106
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2015, 08:44:58 AM »

Well, new CVO,

#1 Mod is the tune, will get tune done by dynodifference this weekend.

#2 Call Howard see what they got as far as forks for the 2015 Limited.

Dam shame we gotta spend this ind of money and time to get the bike right from the dealer floor.
2015 CVO Limited

Hoka Hey Finisher 2010
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 20 queries.