Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Hayden Tensioner install by a noob  (Read 19758 times)

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
Re: Hayden Tensioner install by a noob
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2014, 08:07:19 AM »

I have 1500+ miles on my bike since we installed the Hayden tensioner and so far (fingers crossed) no issues whatsoever.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 08:23:03 AM by camcvo »

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2014, 08:10:58 AM »

I have 1500+ miles on my bike since I installed the Hayden tensioner and so far (fingers crossed) no issues whatsoever.
Good to hear.
The best you've had is the best you know.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2014, 08:22:29 AM »

Good to hear.
Sorry Russ. I should have stated 'since WE installed'. Corrected above. Thanks again for your expert assistance.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2014, 10:44:22 AM »

Sorry Russ. I should have stated 'since WE installed'. Corrected above. Thanks again for your expert assistance.
Nahh, you did the hard stuff. 

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2014, 02:25:03 PM »

I might have missed it somewhere, but what has Hayden's response to this? Been thinking about one but would sure like to see how this works out.

David
Most great stores start with a bad decision

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2014, 12:45:49 PM »

I might have missed it somewhere, but what has Hayden's response to this? Been thinking about one but would sure like to see how this works out.

David
I've been so busy with work and the various trips I've been doing, I haven't had a chance to call them yet.  Might see if I can make some time this afternoon.

bigsixman

• Full CVO Member
  • 2003 CVO Deuce FXSTDSE
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2014, 12:10:05 AM »

I just installed a Hayden in my 2007 Deuce and I am impressed with the improvement in the shifting of my bike. It only took about an hour on my lift table. I used the zip tie trick to hold the nylon block compressed and I did it in a vise with everything dry and it was easy. Thanks to the person with that tip in an earlier post.

I have very few miles on it and it has a little whine noise in the primary, but I only have about 10 miles on it since the switch.

I put the thin shim in it on the initial set up and I had to pull it out and go without a shim. I ended up with about a 1/4"+ for clearance.

I highly recommend the Hayden tensioner in the twin cam 96" motors.
2003 fxstdse CVO Deuce, 3,700 miles
2007 fxstd Deuce, 18,500 miles
2017 flhx Street Glide, 6,700 miles
Four 60s & 70s Japanese bikes

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2014, 04:42:05 AM »

I do like the better shifting the tighter chain provides but not if it's going to break something in the primary.

You have me confused ... I thought everyone was replacing the stock tensioner because it keeps the chain too tight ... and you're saying the Hayden piece makes it even tighter? I thought the Hayden allows a tad more slop since the spring has some give to it. I heard the stock one only gets tighter and can't back off because of the ratcheting action. Am I seeing this right?

I have my 1000 miles on my bike now and ready to drop all the oil and put the good stuff in, but I'm at a road block after reading about the Hayden tensioner. I love this bike and want to avoid any future problems from too much stress on the bearings from a chain that's too tight. Has anybody tried modifying the stock unit by maybe grinding the teeth with a dremel so it could actually float instead of only getting tighter?   
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:43:48 AM by Phantom309 »
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2014, 08:00:54 PM »

The Hayden kept mine substantially tighter than stock.

Kathy

• Hayden Enterprises
  • Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
    • Hayden Enterprises - M6 Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2014, 01:00:44 AM »

You'll find this installation one of the easiest things (and best) that you will do for your bike. All the things mentioned (spring compression measurement, shim useage - or not) need to be considered. The spring compression measure (3/8") is the most important part of the installation. Save your shims, at some point in time you will need them. We suggest checking the M6 at about 20k intervals to see if you've had enough chain stretch to warrent adding a shim. You'll see your shifting improve, easier to find neutral, bike will click into gear instead of clunk and DYNO testing has shown both increase in torque and horsepower due to less stress, drag, and friction on your entire primary system. Enjoy the ride.
http://www.haydensm6.com

We're here to help.

dano

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2014, 06:13:04 AM »

If the chain seams tight has anyone tried to take one of the springs out??

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2014, 07:20:44 AM »

If the chain seams tight has anyone tried to take one of the springs out??
:confused5:
I don't think you want to do that, it would defeat the purpose and proper tension required.  I'm not understanding 05 Trains situation of "too tight".   Assuming he is using zero/nada shims,  the Hayden should not be making the chain too tight.

I can't get the recommended 3/8" gap,  but only about a 1'4" on mine..........but all seems well.   Must be a matter of slight variances in parts/chain length, etc. tolerances.........to get a "too tight" situation. :nixweiss:

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2014, 08:13:10 AM »

I'm not understanding 05 Trains situation of "too tight".   Assuming he is using zero/nada shims,  the Hayden should not be making the chain too tight.
You're right, it shouldn't but it did.

Kathy

• Hayden Enterprises
  • Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
    • Hayden Enterprises - M6 Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2014, 01:54:22 PM »

The chain is not too tight if the measurement is between 3/8" and 1/4". Keep in mind the way a chain is designed guys, the rollers are recessed within the links. The links will only slightly cut into the nylon shoe until the rollers 'seat' themselves. Once the rollers make contact there won't be anymore wear on the shoe, but you will gain a slight 1/16" in the measurement as this occurs. It could take 300-400 miles to do this (depending how you ride). If you hear a slight 'whirling' sound as this is happening (most people don't), it will go away and it's merely the chain gliding across the nylon shoe. Enjoy the ride
http://www.haydensm6.com

We're here to help.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2014, 07:45:13 PM »

:cherry:
I'm not a sponsor here,  but based upon experience with my last two installations of a Hayden,  I would have to agree with what she said.

I've got a great sense of hearing and for sure heard the extra "whirring" that occurred (for a while) after each install.  After a few hundred miles,  that "noise" went away.  No problems after that. :drink:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 20 queries.