Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Warranty denied from a TTS install?  (Read 6269 times)

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
Warranty denied from a TTS install?
« on: April 28, 2014, 08:32:39 PM »

Well as the newness is wearing off with my cvo limited that I absolutely love, and felt that I'm not touching anything with it that might void the 7 year warranty. My question is has anyone ever been denied warranty work from a TTS download?

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Warranty denied from a TTS install?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 08:36:44 PM »

If you follow the directions with the TTS you can put the exact original calibration back into the bike as it was before the TTS install. If this is done prior to going to a dealership there is nothing for them to see. The Moco can and does void warranty for anything they feel like these days so it's better to be safe, than sorry. Since it only takes a few minutes to switch it back that is your safest bet.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 08:40:50 PM »

Why would you take your bike to a dealer with the TTS map installed (especially for warranty work). From what I understand you can save the original/OEM map and reload it if/when needed. If when traveling is a concern keep the original map on a thumb drive and the TTS dongle/cables (whatever is needed to return it to stock map) with you.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 08:50:52 PM »

Do dealerships routinely check the ECM?  I was just wondering because I have had my bike services post TTS and did not flash it back.  Is there away to see if your bike has been flagged?

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 09:00:26 PM »

Why would you take your bike to a dealer with the TTS map installed (especially for warranty work). From what I understand you can save the original/OEM map and reload it if/when needed. If when traveling is a concern keep the original map on a thumb drive and the TTS dongle/cables (whatever is needed to return it to stock map) with you.

So you can return the stock ecu with only a thumb drive and not have a computer with me? This would be sweet.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 09:08:15 PM »

So you can return the stock ecu with only a thumb drive and not have a computer with me? This would be sweet.
.. If when traveling is a concern keep the original map on a thumb drive and the TTS dongle/cables (whatever is needed  to return it to stock map) with you.
I would think you'll probably need some type of device (laptop, netbook, etc.) but if it is that big of a concern then take the needed device with you.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 09:26:44 PM »

TTS has for several years provided free storage of your calibrations on the web.

http://www.mastertune.net/repositary.php

Load your stock and modified tune to the storage location and you can get it back as long as the internet is running. The same goes for all the software, it can be downloaded and installed from our Web site onto any Windows XP or newer system. So all you really need to carry with you is the interface and cables, as long as you can find someone with a PC, your set. A small net book and you would have the means to do it all yourself right in the saddle bag if you want to go that route.

As far as the warranty goes it all depends on the dealership that your working with.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 09:07:20 AM »

The newer (blue) dongle stores the original HD map inside in non-volitile ram.  All you need is your laptop to put it back into your ECM (and the cables of course).

But if you have a  TTS map the dealer cannot read it or work on it with the HD computer, but some dealers may have the TTS dongle and could read it.  New ECM without the dongle that is married to the old ECM, so give the dongle with the bike if you sell it.

Problem is if you want to put the stock HD download back into your bike, and it's 2am and raining and you are a hundred miles from anywhere and just lost the whole left side of you bike (compensator and clutch for example).

TTS is a wonderful tuning device, version 3 is due out soon, and it will be even better, rumors have it tuning your spark maps automagically.

If I had a 7 yr warranty, I would only do the Harley tuner by a dealer, with a written assurance that it does not void my warranty.  I have a two year extended warranty and will wait that long to do the engine mods.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 11:20:45 AM »

The newer (blue) dongle stores the original HD map inside in non-volitile ram.  All you need is your laptop to put it back into your ECM (and the cables of course).

But if you have a  TTS map the dealer cannot read it or work on it with the HD computer, but some dealers may have the TTS dongle and could read it.  New ECM without the dongle that is married to the old ECM, so give the dongle with the bike if you sell it.

Problem is if you want to put the stock HD download back into your bike, and it's 2am and raining and you are a hundred miles from anywhere and just lost the whole left side of you bike (compensator and clutch for example).

TTS is a wonderful tuning device, version 3 is due out soon, and it will be even better, rumors have it tuning your spark maps automagically.

If I had a 7 yr warranty, I would only do the Harley tuner by a dealer, with a written assurance that it does not void my warranty.  I have a two year extended warranty and will wait that long to do the engine mods.

The above marked red statement is completely FALSE, it is nothing more than internet hype from our competitors. Not only has this been disproved but several HD dealer technicians have posted the test results using the HD factory tools themselves.

What is true is the the dealership cannot reprogram the ECM with the TTS calibration installed or marry a new TSSM to the ECM with the TTS calibration installed. This was done by us to stop people from losing there calibration at a dealership service. We put the owner of the bike in control rather than a dealership Tech that doesn't know any better.

As for the Harley tuner (SEPST)being different abut warranty, it is no different than having a TTS or any other tuner install regardless of what a dealership may tell you. All one needs to do is look in the SE catalog and it spells it out as a race application only.

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 11:25:14 AM »

If you read the literature that comes with the SE product.  HD can deny warranty also.   Same, same.

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 11:29:10 AM »

I spent some time at a dealership that I TTS tuned a bike for.  I went with my lap top, MTE, and final cal.  Most things you need a digital tech for still worked. The hitch cam in when they tried to down load a flash over my final cal.  I'm glad they can't wipe out my customer tunes that they have paid me for.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 12:45:42 PM »

Steve, what I meant was tuning or flashing over the tts map.  My intent was to make sure the seller gives the buyer the dongle.

Sorry I screwed it up.

Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 04:43:43 PM »

If one is to sell the bike we recommend one of two options at that point. Return the tune to stock and sell or sell the bike with the Mastertune unit. This gives both the seller and the buy options that they can settle between themselves.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:35:49 PM by Steve Cole »

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 08:59:42 AM »

I am smiling as I got in today after the weekend to listen to the messages on the shop phone..  Customer has Super tuner on his bike we tuned a t dual ex system with a 255 cam. No big deal guy is not a computer type person.. He is at HD for the free lunch deal and ride wins a free oil change.. So he has oil change done ,.. they re flashed the ECM :(........... They cannot tell him why but it was a standard checkup and they where helping him as it was N/C  :2vrolijk_21: 

So Customer is  :soapbox: hopping mad. I am going to show him how to reload his map.  Not stating that one tuner is better but this is a funny example of what the dealer can and does do..  Dealer has no reason to be re flashing anything unless you are asking for that service.

These get used in the car world. Some even have a locking device
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 10:30:13 AM »

I tell all my TTS customers,

Lock Your saddle bags when you go in for an oil change!

Tell them they are not to touch your ECM!

Steve G.

Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 25 queries.