Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Jump starting from the battery tender pigtail  (Read 26458 times)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Re: Jump starting from the battery tender pigtail
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 04:49:29 PM »

When I have to jump start a bike I use the lug on the starter and a ground. This way I don't have to pull the seat. I use one of those Micro Start PPS X1 jump boxes (carry it in my saddlebag).

http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/micro-start-xp-1/
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 05:00:23 PM »

Sorry if I led anyone to believe I meant that you could jump start using the tender as a source... it will only 'charge' at the rate it's intended.  Jump starting is not an option as mentioned above.
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 05:01:50 PM »

First, let's stop all the speculating this point: the battery tender connection WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT work for jump-starting the bike. Period. (that's a real one...not an Executive period) The fuse will blow (if you're lucky) or if it has no fuse, the itty-bitty wires will immediately fry.

The same connection COULD be used to slowly CHARGE the battery with a regular 10~15 amp battery charger or by connecting to a car's charging system. Of course, if you've already tried to jump-start it through this connection, you'll need to replace that fuse.

Second, the easiest way to hook up jumpers on the bike is by connecting the jumper cables to the trans case (which has a direct negative cable to it from the battery) and to the battery cable post on the starter (which has a direct positive cable to it from the battery) and you don't have to pull the seat or anything else off of the bike.

I agree with everything you said except for the part I highlighted in blue.  Unless you have a pigtail with a much bigger fuse than what comes in the standard Harley pigtail (7.5 amps), using a 10 amp or larger battery charger or a car charging system to charge the battery will blow the fuse immediately.  I actually made that mistake many years ago with my 10 amp charger when I failed to engage my brain before I tried it.  That 10 amp charger starts out at nearly 10 amps and only tapers to 5 amps or less as the battery voltage comes up.  So it will pop that fuse immediately.  And an automotive charging system will crank out a heck of a lot more than 10 amps.

By far the best method if someone doesn't want to remove the seat to access the actual battery is the one you mentioned.  The starter lug is connected directly to the battery positive terminal, and there are several possibilities for the negative charger connection including the one you mentioned at the trans side cover.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 05:31:49 PM »

When I have to jump start a bike I use the lug on the starter and a ground. This way I don't have to pull the seat. I use one of those Micro Start PPS X1 jump boxes (carry it in my saddlebag).

http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/micro-start-xp-1/

That is really cool! How long will the power pack hold it's charge if unused?

Joe

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 07:17:25 PM »

That is really cool! How long will the power pack hold it's charge if unused?

Joe

I've owned mine since seeing one in action in March while in Daytona and I've only charged it once since the initial charge.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

BigD2112

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 10:36:21 PM »

Mr. Surly
you are a genius...i appreciate your post.....BTW take it from a chump (ME) that tried jumping the battery thru the tender...IT DOES NOT WORK,,,,thank God the fuse went and i had no damage...that little wire will melt together in a snap...then its a tender and more than likely a battery you will need....because if your battery died out of the blue and its a little bit old then it will never regain its full charge....Anytime a battery has a glitch...best to replace it...because take it from another chump (ME) the worse thing on a bike is to have a night at the watering hole, go to your bike at 2 am and that booger will not fire up...  Lucky a nice girl felt sorry for me and drove me home about 15 miles from the bar....(NOTHING HAPPENED, but i did treat the girl to $20 in gas and a Denny's breakfast) so we had a lot of fun......
2014 CVO Limited
2009 XR1200
2012 Challenger SRT8

senorjeem

• Starting Out
  • Full CVO Member
  • I SURVIVED THE MAYAN END OF DAYS!!!
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 11:13:16 PM »

(NOTHING HAPPENED) ....sorry for your luck!

popsracing

• Full CVO Member
  • 2011 CVO Road Glide SE
Jump starting another bike
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 11:36:53 AM »

A buddy if mine left the key on for a couple hours yesterday and drained his battery...I've been carrying around the little alligator clip battery tender cables just for this situation...I plugged in to the tender port on my bike in hopes of being able to start his but I had no power at the clips...Shouldn't this work or am I missing something here??
2011 CVO FLHTRUSE
FULLSAC DX pipe W/2" baffles & TTS tuned
SoCal Tru-HID headlights
Easy Up center stand
Tour Pack Quick Detach Docking Kit Installed

IF YOUR GONNA BE A BEAR...BE A GRIZZLY

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Re: Jump starting another bike
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 11:44:14 AM »

A buddy if mine left the key on for a couple hours yesterday and drained his battery...I've been carrying around the little alligator clip battery tender cables just for this situation...I plugged in to the tender port on my bike in hopes of being able to start his but I had no power at the clips...Shouldn't this work or am I missing something here??

Sorry, won't work
Not good for amps needed by starter
 8)
HOGMIKE

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Jump starting another bike
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 12:34:18 PM »

See Puzzled's reply #15 of this thread... just read an article about them in September Bagger magazine also.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2014, 01:38:09 PM »

You also need to understand that the color coding on those alligator clips assumes you are connecting to the polarized connector coming from the battery tender, not the connector on the bike.  In other words, if you connect it to the pigtail connector on the bike the red clip won't be the positive any more, and if you connect to the other guys battery using red to positive, black to negative, you will definitely have a problem.  The smart thing to do is forget about the tender connector for anything other than using the battery tender on your bike, or using it to attach a voltmeter when you don't want to remove the seat.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 12:18:06 PM »

Between the 4 Harley's, and 2 ATV's on tenders in my garage,  I have all the extra plug connections they give you with the alligator clips.

I took 2 of them  and cut off the alligator clips. reversed the wires and made myself some jumpers with a plug on each end. (this left a fuse in both sides of the cable)  Yes I have jumped a bike twice with these cables and never had a problem. The thing you have to remember, is just like jumping a car with cables. the doner vehicle ( the one suppling the battery) should always be running. Hook the cables up and let your bike run for a few minutes so your alternator can help charge the dead battery. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:23:49 PM by harleyteam »

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 24 queries.