Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Lifter failure  (Read 14322 times)

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
Re: Lifter failure
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2014, 09:04:14 PM »

I can tell you what i would do if i bought a new bike.  I'd have the heads, cams, and exhaust upgraded and a real tune done right after break in.

Just seems a shame that we've come to expect this....And have to come up with a plan to correct it. I remember someone else suggesting that HD could sell us the bikes without powertrains sortta like a lower cost option then we could put in our own engine and tranny.....
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2014, 09:06:01 PM »

Just seems a shame that we've come to expect this....And have to come up with a plan to correct it. I remember someone else suggesting that HD could sell us the bikes without powertrains sortta like a lower cost option then we could put in our own engine and tranny.....
Honestly i would like that option. I agree it is sad.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2014, 09:13:05 PM »

I am in the same boat with my new 13 CVO
Clatters to beat hell.
"NORMAL" my ass. Sure I can fix it but why would I. I bought a new bike to ride not fix.
Well I guess if they all do that it is considered normal.
Somebody should give the MOCO a lesson in Critical Thinking.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2014, 09:57:18 PM »

I am in the same boat with my new 13 CVO
Clatters to beat hell.
"NORMAL" my ass. Sure I can fix it but why would I. I bought a new bike to ride not fix.
Well I guess if they all do that it is considered normal.
Somebody should give the MOCO a lesson in Critical Thinking.

Dewey your nominated :)   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2014, 10:18:11 PM »

How about you stop buying the POS!!!!!  Tell HD why you will not buy their POS!!!!
Tell your friends not to buy their latest POS!!  If 100,000 bikes didn't get sold this coming year, and they (HD) knew they didn't sell because you have now refused to accept the junk they are pawning, I think they'd either step or go bankrupt!!
Tell them you are going to buy an Indian!! Maybe that would shake them up.
As things stand now, I personally wouldn't even consider a new HD of ANY type!! I would consider a new Indian Scout tho.   Buffalo

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2014, 10:36:50 PM »

How about you stop buying the POS!!!!!  Tell HD why you will not buy their POS!!!!
Tell your friends not to buy their latest POS!!  If 100,000 bikes didn't get sold this coming year, and they (HD) knew they didn't sell because you have now refused to accept the junk they are pawning, I think they'd either step or go bankrupt!!
Tell them you are going to buy an Indian!! Maybe that would shake them up.
As things stand now, I personally wouldn't even consider a new HD of ANY type!! I would consider a new Indian Scout tho.   Buffalo

Not a single bike on the market catches my eye like my HD and until one does I'm stuck.

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2014, 11:09:07 PM »

Not a single bike on the market catches my eye like my HD and until one does I'm stuck.
Once you've had the motor apart a few more times, replaced the comp a few more times, etc. all on your dime, Your eye begins to wonder ;)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2014, 11:11:08 PM »

Once you've had the motor apart a few more times, replaced the comp a few more times, etc. all on your dime, Your eye begins to wonder ;)

I hear what you are saying but you need to remember it's not just my eyes it's my wife's as well and she won't even bat an eye at another brand.

Jesse

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2014, 12:46:41 AM »

Not only expect it, we have been trained to accept it and pay for the rebuild ourselves. Looks like mother Harley has done an excellant job of brain washing its followers.  :confused5:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2014, 01:08:31 AM »

Not only expect it, we have been trained to accept it and pay for the rebuild ourselves. Looks like mother Harley has done an excellant job of brain washing its followers.  :confused5:

Damn I get it from HD and Jerry Jones  :P

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2014, 11:07:16 AM »

Dewey your nominated :)

Harry I am Don not Dewey
And in retrospect I have to say the MOCO must really have their critical thinking skills in order considering they have raised the bar beyond traditional philosophy (or lowered the depending on what seat you are in buyer or seller).

1. Build mediocre and they will come
2. Build mediocre and they will spend more with us to fix them, sometimes even on the initial purchase and we will call that "customizing" or "accessorizing". Roll add-ons into a finance purchase if possible
3. If in doubt on a new product release it anyway and beta test on the public
4. If a problem arises use every effort to patch the root cause or ignore issues that are not imminently dangerous
5. Train your dealers to browbeat customers into believing the issues with their bike are "normal" and weasel out of settling drivetrain issues whenever possible
6. Customer service moto: The answer is "NO" first then lets' talk about or negotiate a possible "YES"

The good:
I love every aspect of the style and the fit and finish is good.

The Bad:
The drivetrain, all inclusive
A poor support network

Things have changed considerably from the early 90s when the bikes were quality and you waited to get one. When the MOCO had issues they held back deliveries and went after the production system to improve efficiency and improve quality, a good thing for all.
Problem however is if a little is good then a lot more must be that much better. Fallacy!
The consumer lost on this iteration and here we sit. MOCO has record sales, higher profit per unit, lean manufacturing, and lower headcount (jobs) due to automation. Why change anything? A person smarter than me would buy their stock not their products.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:12:55 AM by HD Street Performance »

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2014, 02:25:59 PM »

Harry I am Don not Dewey
And in retrospect I have to say the MOCO must really have their critical thinking skills in order considering they have raised the bar beyond traditional philosophy (or lowered the depending on what seat you are in buyer or seller).

1. Build mediocre and they will come
2. Build mediocre and they will spend more with us to fix them, sometimes even on the initial purchase and we will call that "customizing" or "accessorizing". Roll add-ons into a finance purchase if possible
3. If in doubt on a new product release it anyway and beta test on the public
4. If a problem arises use every effort to patch the root cause or ignore issues that are not imminently dangerous
5. Train your dealers to browbeat customers into believing the issues with their bike are "normal" and weasel out of settling drivetrain issues whenever possible
6. Customer service moto: The answer is "NO" first then lets' talk about or negotiate a possible "YES"

The good:
I love every aspect of the style and the fit and finish is good.

The Bad:
The drivetrain, all inclusive
A poor support network

Things have changed considerably from the early 90s when the bikes were quality and you waited to get one. When the MOCO had issues they held back deliveries and went after the production system to improve efficiency and improve quality, a good thing for all.
Problem however is if a little is good then a lot more must be that much better. Fallacy!
The consumer lost on this iteration and here we sit. MOCO has record sales, higher profit per unit, lean manufacturing, and lower headcount (jobs) due to automation. Why change anything? A person smarter than me would buy their stock not their products.
I do own some of their stock but unfortunately not enough that the gains come anywhere near paying the 'harley tax!'   :bigcry:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2014, 03:23:41 PM »

I can tell you what i would do if i bought a new bike.  I'd have the heads, cams, and exhaust upgraded and a real tune done right after break in.
I tried that in 2007 and it backfired.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2014, 07:27:58 AM »

Here you go Jesse.
Local shop dropped off a 2012 CVO 110" rear head with a similar problem like you had. Guide was much worse than yours.
This was what I found, guide broke in half in the guide bore, exhaust valve slightly bent.
John

John,
Seen the same here, actually in an 88".
Valve was bent like a pretzel.
Scott

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2014, 09:04:53 AM »

I tried that in 2007 and it backfired.

Maybe I'll just by a convertible roadster  :nixweiss:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 25 queries.