Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 cvo road king neutral rattle  (Read 2344 times)

mikalias

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 14 cvo rk
2014 cvo road king neutral rattle
« on: August 12, 2014, 08:21:53 PM »

Is there anyone else with this bike that is experiencing the Neutral Rattle when the bike is at operating temp and in neutral?  When you operate the clutch the rattle coming from the transmission goes away.  It sounds horible and is embarrasing when I stop at a light while in neutral and I get the the people with orphan annie eyes looking at me :(  According to Harley this is normal according to bulletin M1304.  Going to try changing my tranny oil to Bell-ray 85w 140 and see if that helps and if that doesn't work I'll be one pissed Harley owner.

Mik

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 2014 cvo road king neutral rattle
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 08:48:43 PM »

Is there anyone else with this bike that is experiencing the Neutral Rattle when the bike is at operating temp and in neutral?  When you operate the clutch the rattle coming from the transmission goes away.  It sounds horible and is embarrasing when I stop at a light while in neutral and I get the the people with orphan annie eyes looking at me :(  According to Harley this is normal according to bulletin M1304.  Going to try changing my tranny oil to Bell-ray 85w 140 and see if that helps and if that doesn't work I'll be one pissed Harley owner.

Mik

It's a very common thing that has been around for many years now, basically since Harley went to the Cruise Drive transmission.  Harley, as you obviously know since you've seen the bulletin, blew this off as a "normal" situation.  Harley labels a lot of things "normal" that in fact most customers label "unacceptable".  They really don't care what customers think.

Try a true gear lubricant versus the motor oil that Harley installs in the trans.  The extra cushioning effect from the gear lube can soften that noise.  Unless you always ride in a hot climate, you may want to stick to a 75w90 or 75w140.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 01:21:14 AM »

Baker claims their DD7 will cure this due to less rotating mass, I bought one and once I get some time to put it in I will know first hand. I like the DD6 I have in my other bike. http://bakerdrivetrain.com/dd7 check it out, although changing to a different oil is much less expensive.
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Simpleman1025

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 05:51:25 AM »

What is the price on the DD7?

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 08:50:56 AM »

around $3000
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 24 queries.