Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Tie down strap location for trailering a Dresser.  (Read 23256 times)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: Tie down strap location for trailering a Dresser.
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 09:38:44 PM »

Don't like your straps, I use ratchet type. Other than that we are identical.
...as well, the ratchet strap hooks should have the spring loaded keeper.
http://accessories.harley-davidson.ca/product/94699-10/harley-davidson-125-ratchet-tie-down-straps
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 10:09:45 PM »

Be careful doing that... in theory it sounds good but I've heard of people that did that and it rubbed off powdercoating from the frame. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
Thanks for that advice. I'll rethink that for sure.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 09:08:14 AM »

I go around the frame at the engine guard and use a ratcheting strap, works well for me.  I do have lowers too.  For the rear, I hook to the frame below the engine and go to the side, those can be the pull straps as that is just to keep it from bouncing to the side. 

mark

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 09:34:01 AM »

I have both the ratchet and pull-type straps.  I've taken many trips with the pull-type, with nary a trouble.  1650 mile trip to Sturgis and back - the pull-type straps were just as tight as when I started. 

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 12:10:28 PM »

One thing I though of doing for the trip to MV in a few weeks is to put some wood blocks under the frame across the lift and compress the suspension down that far. Wouldn't be a lot and might give me a little more piece of mind along with some more stability.

that's the way i was taught, and the way that i have done it whenever i trailer anywhere.  never had an issue.  if you're concerned about the powdercoating, then put a rag between the two.  admittedly though, i don't trailer much, so it's only been 3 or 4 times, although i did it that way from louisiana to wisconsin without a lick of trouble.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 01:11:57 PM »

You know Chip, I'm really impressed with the way you tie the bike down! No suspension compression, and that trailer, wow! I think I'm going to have to get me my 2nd MC10.
I got rid of my first one, because I thought touring bikes are meant to be ridden, but the older
I get, I think trailer in is the way to go!!! Especially when you have to ride the same roads to get to new ones, if you know what I mean!

tazmun
The "TAZMUN"

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 01:32:54 PM »

You know Chip, I'm really impressed with the way you tie the bike down! No suspension compression, and that trailer, wow! I think I'm going to have to get me my 2nd MC10.
I got rid of my first one, because I thought touring bikes are meant to be ridden, but the older
I get, I think trailer in is the way to go!!! Especially when you have to ride the same roads to get to new ones, if you know what I mean!

tazmun

Thanks Richard!
I remember even before we became good friends I asked about what trailer was best to buy.
Your recommendation was the Aluma. You owned one and your opinion was based on experience not just some internet BS.
I researched Aluma and realized you had a winner. So I bought mine. People asked why with the 7X14 Haulmark at home did I need an open trailer.
The Aluma is the easiest trailer I have ever loaded. The Aluma only weighs 390 lbs. Aluma thought the entire motorcycle hauling process through and built a trailer to met or exceed those requirements. There are those that ask why haul a bike on an open trailer since it get's dirty, well DUH, it gets just as dirty when you ride it. Get you another MC10 and have some fun. Thanks for all your help!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »

The only time I was really glad I hauled enclosed was on a trip to the Outer Banks one year. We pulled into our ocean front parking in the middle of a NorEaster that lasted 3 days. Pulled our spic & span scoots out mid-week and rode for 3 days. Our truck/trailer was covered with 1/8" of dry salt spray. 90% of the time a light open trailer would be a godsend. Ever tie 4 bikes down in 100 deg weather.....now do it in a box!!!!!!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 07:11:16 AM »

Straps on bike.

SBB

Chip, what brand wheel chock is that ? Looks like it could mount very close to a wall in an enclosed situation. We're shopping toy haulers and some we've looked at have a 9 foot garage. For that to work, the wheel chock needs to take up as little length as possible.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »

I'm sure other companies make them, but Condor makes a trailer only chock that fits flush to the wall.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 09:04:48 AM »

SBB,

That is really quite helpful. I have always wanted to see a pic as a guideline for this. Does the strap that is on the front fork rub close to the connection point of the fender to the fork?  I may need to trailer my bike soon.  does anyone know if someplace rents trailers like this?  I assume it wouldn't have a wheel chock though.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 10:24:50 AM »

Chip, what brand wheel chock is that ? Looks like it could mount very close to a wall in an enclosed situation. We're shopping toy haulers and some we've looked at have a 9 foot garage. For that to work, the wheel chock needs to take up as little length as possible.

GC it is a K&L chock. K&L makes quality heavy duty equipment. I have two I use on the Aluma. (use 1 when towing the Harley and 2 when towing the scooters.
See link below,
http://www.klsupply.com/SHOPLIFTEQUIPMENT/KLMC10RUNIVERSALWHEELCLAMP.aspx

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 10:27:21 AM »

SBB,

That is really quite helpful. I have always wanted to see a pic as a guideline for this. Does the strap that is on the front fork rub close to the connection point of the fender to the fork?  I may need to trailer my bike soon.  does anyone know if someplace rents trailers like this?  I assume it wouldn't have a wheel chock though.

tir

The key is to make sure the strap is flat against the backside of the fork as you tighten the strap.
I'm not aware of anyone that rents trailers like mine.

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 10:30:03 AM »

SBB,

That is really quite helpful. I have always wanted to see a pic as a guideline for this.

I have meant to take some pictures of the bike strapped down but kept forgetting.
A good friend coming to Maggie Valley wanted a picture so I loaded the bike and took some.
Glad it helped.

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 11:53:35 AM »

Do what works for you, but....

I would never secure a bike by strapping to the fork legs.  The forks are held in place by the fender and the pinch bolt on the axle.  Tightening straps that would separate the fork lowers seems like an incredibly bad idea.

I would never secure a bike by strapping to the engine guard.  That guard flexes way too much, and is only secured at the top by a single bolt.

I use a Rampage lift.  The Ultra got strapped to the Rampage's sled via two straps to the Harley fork-mounted tie-down points.  I ran soft ties over the lower tree, then down to the front tie-down points in the truck.  Two more straps with soft ties went on the downtubes to the rear tie-down points on the truck.  Two more straps went from the rear passenger board mounts to the rear tie-down points.  Suspension gets compressed no more than 1-1/2".  The bike won't budge if it's strapped like this.

Again, not saying that the pictured way won't work, just that I wouldn't do it that way.
The best you've had is the best you know.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 20 queries.