Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Brian France.........No DUI?    (Read 10288 times)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Brian France.........No DUI?  
« on: December 18, 2006, 02:33:23 PM »

Friday, December 15, 2006  

France admits he was drinking night of accident, but no DUI arrest as he was inside condo

By Lyda Longa
Daytona Beach News Journal Staff Writer

DAYTONA BEACH, FL -December 15, 2006- NASCAR CEO Brian France admitted to officers he had been drinking the night a woman followed him to his condominium after she observed him driving erratically on U.S. 1. But because police never interviewed France until he was inside his residence, they could not arrest him for DUI, an internal affairs investigation released Thursday shows.

Regardless, Police Chief Mike Chitwood said that once his officers knew who was involved in the incident, they went the extra mile to make sure they followed the law and gave France no special treatment.

The investigation also shows that when a sergeant who was called to the scene learned the driver of the car was France, he in turn called a lieutenant. The sergeant then relayed to one of the officers: "We're just here to do our job, OK, we do what we always do under these circumstances."

The chief said officers were somewhat rattled when they learned the incident involved France. France crashed his Lexus sedan into a tree just outside his condominium on Marina Point Drive around 9 p.m., a police report states. When several officers responded to the scene at 9:51 p.m., the man had already gone upstairs to his apartment, Chitwood said. Roughly 20 minutes later, the officers knocked on France's door. France came downstairs with them, dressed in fresh clothes.

''I think that when everyone found out this was Brian France, they knew they had better dot their I's and cross their T's," Chitwood said Thursday.

Nonetheless, a police report prepared on the call witness Shirley Hill made to 911 as she followed France south on U.S.1, east on Orange Avenue then onto Beach Street on Nov. 6, does not mention that France had admitted to having "a few (alcoholic beverages) over at the Chart House" earlier that night.

That detail was not included in the paperwork, Chitwood said, because the officer was investigating a crash, not a DUI.

''That information of course came out in detail in the internal affairs investigation," the chief said. "I believe everything Ms. Hill told us and you can draw your own conclusions from that.

"The bottom line is, he (France) was out of his car, he was inside his apartment and he could have had the alcohol there and hours before. But since we didn't stop him in his car, we can't touch him," Chitwood said.

The matter , however, led to two policy changes within the Daytona Beach Police Department: Whenever there is a DUI incident, the highest-ranking supervisor on the shift will be called to the scene and take control of the investigation; and no officer will report off-duty until all of his or her reports are complete.

The latter stems from the fact that neither Chitwood nor Capt. Matt Doughney knew about the France incident when questioned by a reporter because the report had not been handed in.

Hills, accompanied by a passenger, followed France to the guard shack of his condo while she spoke to the 911 dispatcher and described how the man was driving on curbs, struck a parked car and then scraped a tree. She had no idea the driver she was pursuing was France until a condo security guard told her.

According to the initial crash report, France told officers he was driving and drinking a soda when he "bumped into something." When police checked the inside of his car, they saw evidence of a spilled soft drink and a half-eaten hamburger.

Officers sent to the area where Hill said France had sideswiped a parked car never found evidence of that, the investigation shows.

By the time other officers knocked on France's door to question him based on Hill's statements, he had already been home about 20 minutes, the investigation shows.

One officer who spoke to France, Penny Dane, is experienced in making DUI arrests and administering breathalyzer tests. Dane said that while she did not smell alcohol on France, she said "he did seem fatigued as if he had been drinking and he did openly state to me that he had had a few (alcoholic beverages) over at the Chart House."

The officer who accompanied Dane, however, Stephanie Donald, said she smelled alcohol on France.

But Dane knew her hands were tied, based on what she told internal affairs officials when she was questioned about France: "It would be illegal for me to even arrest and more investigate it, not knowing what he could have done in his condominium for 20 minutes."

Chitwood said investigators called the Chart House and officials at the Marina Pointe condos regarding France, but neither would cooperate with police
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: Brian France.........No DUI?  
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 02:35:53 PM »

Seems the "Chart House", and "Marina Pointe", officials know where their bread is buttered, huh?  ;) Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 03:30:24 PM »

So Hub

All of that is fine but whats your point?

Is this no different than when we run over a 120 for a few miles and then pull up behind a law enforcement officer. I'm not telling on you and I know your not telling on me. Does that mean your buttering my bread or me yours?

And for the record next time we do that, I am turning in Otis.
No way a stock 95" will do what his does.
That's against the law for sure! ;)

OK, OK,,,,, I wouldn't rat him out, but that bike should be outlawed.

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 04:01:23 PM »

The point is; There is no point.  That said, the next time you get loaded in FL, sideswipe cars, run up on the curb, and strike a tree with your vehicle, make sure you park up, and go upstairs for 20 minutes.  WTF?  I can't even sound off my Rinehart's down there, without getting a $30.00 ticket. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Later--HUBBARD    

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 04:10:49 PM »

Hubbard,
Unfortunately I understand where you're coming from, but from a legal standpoint unless the LEO can catch the perp under the wheel it will not stand up in a court of law that they were DUI. It doesn't matter whether the person was a “nobody” or someone w/a lot of influence such as Mr. France.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 04:18:28 PM »

The point is; There is no point.  That said, the next time you get loaded in FL, sideswipe cars, run up on the curb, and strike a tree with your vehicle, make sure you park up, and go upstairs for 20 minutes.  WTF?  I can't even sound off my Rinehart's down there, without getting a $30.00 ticket. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Later--HUBBARD    

Well now I agree with that!
But I am a little rough on the curbs also.
And you have over 50 K in Maude and your complaining about 30 $ worth of fun.
Hell Hub, we are lucky we are not in a Federal prison for the speeds we have gone.

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 04:30:45 PM »

I'D SAY FRANCE DODGED A BULLET. WONDER IF HEY PAID THE DAMAGE THAT HE CAUSED. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] OR IS HE IN DENIAL THAT HE DID ANYTHING WRONG? HOPEFULLY IF HE HAS A DRINKING PROBLEM HE'LL SEEK HELP, AND KNOW ENOUGH NOT GET GET BEHIND THE WHEEL AND DRIVE IF HE DONT. HUBB SORRY BOUT YOUR TICK IN DAYTONA, QUIT RAISING HELL IN TOWN [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 04:37:30 PM »

Hi folks,
I understand what HUBBARD is saying. When you look at a public danger which is worse,
a loud exhaust vs. a drunk driver.
As others have stated though the officer has to witness a violation in order to act since there are so many loopholes in most laws.
If society was really serious about the DUI threat they would close the loopholes and in turn the proceedures of dealing with them.
Imagine a system where someone is stopped,if officer suspects dui then a calibrated test is administered on scene and if over the limit the person is taken to jail and the car is confiscated. The driver then has to spend time in jail,community service and can't drive for a certain period,no excuses or exceptions. Clear and simple logic -you pass the test or you don't.Too many lengthy proceedures and paperwork now each with it's own problems.
The above story is a problem though because the guy could have drunk when in the apt. I have seen some DUI drivers carry alcohol in car so they can drink in front of arriving officer stating they were upset by accident and of course they didn't drink before the wreck. Their theory is it's better to go to jail for drinking in public then dui.
Society does look for a quick fix many times and "Let's just pass a law" and all will be fixed. They don't stop and realize how will it be enforced. DUI has to be attacked from a social or moral standpoint since the laws are weak and hard to enforce for all cases.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 04:41:29 PM »

Hubbard,
Unfortunately I understand where you're coming from, but from a legal standpoint unless the LEO can catch the perp under the wheel it will not stand up in a court of law that they were DUI. It doesn't matter whether the person was a [ch8220]nobody[ch8221] or someone w/a lot of influence such as Mr. France.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

GARY, DONT THINK THE OUTCOME WOULD HAVE BEEN THE SAME FOR YOU OR I, OR EVEN HUBBARD, THEY WOULD OF TOOK US DOWNTOWN FOR SURE. THATS WHY THEY CALLED THE BIG BOSS, CAUSE THEY DIDNT HAVE THE BALLS TO DO IT, I BET THEY EVEN CALLED GLENN RITCHIE, THE MAYOR. WHAT A JOKE. IMAGINE FRANCE IN JAIL IN DAYTONA WITH A BUNCH OF DRUNK SPRING BREAK COLLEGE KIDS.
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 04:50:20 PM »

GARY, DONT THINK THE OUTCOME WOULD HAVE BEEN THE SAME FOR YOU OR I, OR EVEN HUBBARD, THEY WOULD OF TOOK US DOWNTOWN FOR SURE. THATS WHY THEY CALLED THE BIG BOSS, CAUSE THEY DIDNT HAVE THE BALLS TO DO IT, I BET THEY EVEN CALLED GLENN RITCHIE, THE MAYOR. WHAT A JOKE. IMAGINE FRANCE IN JAIL IN DAYTONA WITH A BUNCH OF DRUNK SPRING BREAK COLLEGE KIDS.
If they had taken us downtown under same circumstances they would have been liable for outcome. The law is for everybody, and a lawyer would have eaten him or her up in court. Maybe because Mr. France was a prominent figure in this community they may have decided that they didn't want the embarrassment of arresting him and then have it determined "unjustified" later, but either way under the same circumstances the end result would have been the same. Unless the "Accused" is caught behind the wheel and it is determined they are intoxicated you can't charge them w/that offense.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 05:00:32 PM »

RIGHT, YOU HAVE TO PROVE IT,AND IT DONT LOOK AS IF THEY EVEN TRIED. IST STEP IS AN ARREST. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 05:04:53 PM »

RIGHT, YOU HAVE TO PROVE IT,AND IT DONT LOOK AS IF THEY EVEN TRIED. IST STEP IS AN ARREST. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
You have to have probable cause to arrest (w/o him behind the wheel you can’t arrest for DUI). Don't get me wrong I understand what you saying, but procedures should be followed for all accused.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 05:12:33 PM »

OK PERRY MASON YOU WIN.   [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif][smiley=pumpkin.gif] 5 GOOD REASONS FOR A IDE DOWNTOWN.
1- WITNESS
2- DAMAGE
3- CAR WAS STILL WARM
4- HAMBURGER HALF EATEN
5- DRINK SPILLED
GOOD THING ABOUT IT ALL, NO ONE GOT HURT.
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 05:23:24 PM »

OK PERRY MASON YOU WIN.   [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=pumpkin.gif] 5 GOOD REASONS FOR A IDE DOWNTOWN.
1- WITNESS
2- DAMAGE
3- CAR WAS STILL WARM
4- HAMBURGER HALF EATEN
5- DRINK SPILLED
GOOD THING ABOUT IT ALL, NO ONE GOT HURT.
Dave,
Trust me I'm not trying to be "Perry Mason", but being in public safety and having to run to many calls in the last 24 years w/impaired drivers I've seen to many times that all the "I's" have to be dotted, and all the "T’s" have to be crossed otherwise a lawyer worth his degree will get the accused off even when it is known they were guilty (and all the items you mentioned above could be contested as to whether the accused was actually the one behind the wheel). :(

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 05:36:06 PM »

Dave,
Trust me I'm not trying to be "Perry Mason", but being in public safety and having to run to many calls in the last 24 years w/impaired drivers I've seen to many times that all the "I's" have to be dotted, and all the "T’s" have to be crossed otherwise a lawyer worth his degree will get the accused off even when it is known they were guilty (and all the items you mentioned above could be contested as to whether the accused was actually the one behind the wheel). :(

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Hey Perry...I mean Gary, if yoU are so good at resiZing pictures for everyone, could you resize Gettinold's "font" my ears are ringing from all of the shouting ::)

PS:  Hide your keys and don't be in the car when they come for you.  Hard to prove you were driving.  I don't do anything knowingly illegal much on the road, too many cell phones and wakos with guns to take the chances I did when I was younger.

Although I still have the 100 mph rule.  Must do 100mph everytime the bike hits the road, just a deal I made with a buddy when I was 18.  Actually get 'er done most of the time.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 05:41:16 PM by Rjob749 »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 24 queries.