Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Aviation Build.  (Read 21841 times)

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
Re: Aviation Build.
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2014, 12:01:04 AM »

Thanks BakedInMN,
So if I understand here...in Plan B the oil in and out locations on the case remain the same but the oil filter location will change.
That was a great Barney explanation...even I understood it...is this site great or what???
Thanks again.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2015, 10:06:58 AM »

OK finally some movement on the monster truck build.  Got the new wheel and installed the front end. Will tackle the rear end and the wiring later today.  As far as the main problem ( snapped off filter base  ) the owner of the bike hauled away the engine and all the broken parts in a attempt to repair it all on his own. We have no idea what he is up to. Even though he is by the shop all the time, there has bin no talking about his progress with the repair. We are hoping he will one day soon show up with the engine all fixed and ready to bolt in. Maybe seeing his ride coming together will spur him on.   More picks to come.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2015, 05:05:10 PM »

Well we all had a bit of a surprise this morning. The owner of the Road Glide build came back with the engine. And against the advice of the builder, he JB welded the oil filter assembly back on to the engine.  :-X :confused5: :nixweiss: We all love the guy, and he is part of the family but this was a bit out of left field. So the builder, after ample warning of the impending doom assembled the bike as per instruction. We are all hoping this fix will work, but no one is holding there breath. I just hope the glue job fails as soon as the bike starts and not at a 100 MPH in a turn while racing his buddy.  You know what I mean?  We shall see very soon. Every one is going skiing for the weekend so the bike wont start till next week.  The rest on the build is coming together very nicely. Some of the paint is ready to go nut not until we know if it will leak.  Here are some picks. Cheers.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2015, 05:05:48 PM »

Another.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2015, 05:06:20 PM »

Another.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2015, 06:19:57 PM »

Well we all had a bit of a surprise this morning. The owner of the Road Glide build came back with the engine. And against the advice of the builder, he JB welded the oil filter assembly back on to the engine.  :-X :confused5: :nixweiss: We all love the guy, and he is part of the family but this was a bit out of left field. So the builder, after ample warning of the impending doom assembled the bike as per instruction. We are all hoping this fix will work, but no one is holding there breath. I just hope the glue job fails as soon as the bike starts and not at a 100 MPH in a turn while racing his buddy.  You know what I mean?  We shall see very soon. Every one is going skiing for the weekend so the bike wont start till next week.  The rest on the build is coming together very nicely. Some of the paint is ready to go nut not until we know if it will leak.  Here are some picks. Cheers.

Well the odds of that working are  ............

Maybe just "bump" the engine around a bit when installing it  :nixweiss:
Break it off before any bolts get torqued.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2015, 06:45:38 PM »

I don't foresee this ending well...... :nervous:

It's not my project but I wouldn't trust an epoxy to withstand the heat, vibration and pressurized oil feed. As I stated in an earlier post I think the machining of the area and relocation of the filter is the way to go. The owner should probably trust his builder to know whats best for longevity of the repair and  the safety of the rider/owner.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2015, 07:01:39 PM »

Wow........Just.........WOW!!!! I am speechless.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2015, 07:53:09 PM »

I don't foresee this ending well...... :nervous:

It's not my project but I wouldn't trust an epoxy to withstand the heat, vibration and pressurized oil feed. As I stated in an earlier post I think the machining of the area and relocation of the filter is the way to go. The owner should probably trust his builder to know whats best for longevity of the repair and  the safety of the rider/owner.

The builder is blue in the face at this point. He would definitely, and is recommending the external/separate oil filter system. As you described above.  This bike will end up with the correct repair 100% sooner than later. I think the owner wants to try the organic, natural medicine, back yard shady tree way first. In the end, the full surgery will be done at his expense. ( unfortunately, to re and re the engine ) It's definitely sparking a lively debate in the shop. Oh what fun!!!   :P   Stay tuned.   

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2015, 08:00:55 PM »

Wow........Just.........WOW!!!! I am speechless.

You should see the builder! Poor perfectionist. He just rolls his eyes and is also speechless. LOL!  What do they say, the customer is ALWAYS right, right?    I don't think Raph ( builder ) will let this bike out the door with this repair. To much liability of this repair failing at speeds and taking out the customer, and a school buss full of nuns in a fiery train wreck the likes of which can only be seen in a Bruce Wallace film.  I'm pretty sure it will "fail" on the bench. ;)  We shall see.

ultrarider123

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2015, 08:20:08 AM »

Good golly....what a dork. 
Ask him if he would like for his surgeon to do that to a broken bone?  "Hey, don't worry about that broken fibula, Instead of setting it, I just put some Elmers on it.  You can go back to running marathons in a week"
I'm all for fixing things and re-using when you can.  Ain't no way this "repair" would be one of those times. 
This was always a great thread but this info has bumped it up a notch.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2015, 09:43:01 AM »

Does this guy often make bone head moves like this?  In the end, this problem will cost him twice the labor what it would if he just fixed it right the first time.  Incredable!

Maybe have him read this thread. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2015, 10:13:23 AM »

He is aware of this, and still wanted to go ahead.  Makes for a interesting experiment. The bike just started and idled for about a minute with no leaks yet. Will probably leave a drip pan under it for the weekend though. LOL.  I am unable to post a vid as it is in "mov" and not Jpeg.  I tried, it just wont work.   Well off to the slopes.   So long people.

Beak Boater

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC Progressive Mono Tubes, Klockwerks 8.5; Heads By TMan, Rinehart True duals, TTS Mastertune By Doc's
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG Hard Candy, Crusher Tridents, Fulsac X, TTS Mastertune by Docs Performance
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2015, 08:45:56 PM »

If that works.....I would be contacting JB Weld. That would make for one hell of a sales pitch for their product!!!!
Yesterday's History, Tomorrow's a Mystery, Live for Today.

Screeper

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: First CVO 2015 Street Glide Black/Gold
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2015, 12:24:48 PM »

Thats just reckless for him and others.  If it fails he will immediatley dump several quarts of  oil all over the road.  Certainly will take out his own bike and several bikes in the group behind him if it dumps in a turn.  I hope the shop just refuses to do it.
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men,out of necessity, are forced by circumstance to meet.”

Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 25 queries.