Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Is this too good of a deal?  (Read 8039 times)

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
Re: Is this too good of a deal?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 06:09:50 PM »

Unless you plan on buying the bike without seeing it IN PERSON there is absolutely no reason to have a title filled out prior to actual time of purchase. One person counts the cash the other fills out the title. NEVER send photos of a drivers license to anyone. A drivers license # and date of birth are not required to purchase a used vehicle in any state that I am aware of. Paranoid? Nope. That request would make the danger alarms in my head go off. Tread carefully and no photo.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 09:21:10 PM »

I learned my business from my Dad. He always told me a man's word is his honor. I deal with business owners and entrepreneurs every day. If you shake a person's hand, then that is your honor and you don't back out or rip them off, because that is a reflection on you. I guess I still like to believe that, although I agree that I see this less often. To this day though, I conduct my business like that. I have let people take merchandise from me with a promise and a hand shake that they would mail me a check. Most people seem to really appreciate that.

In my 25 years of being in business I have only had 2 people rip me off like that on business deals. One was a lawyer and the other was a doctor.... go figure.
I was also taught that my word was my bond. I now run a small business. Unfortunately, I have had several handshakes go wrong. Apparently not everyone believes in their honor. One time was both the husband and wife! I do business a little differently now and I've only had a few balk. I guess they were the ones that were planning to stiff me anyway.
RETIRED! :fireman:

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 11:44:05 AM »

guppytrash, just the fact that you had a funny feeling about it and started this thread is a red flag. My friends almost got scammed on a jet ski earlier this year. It was a really good deal, but the guy wanted a large deposit from them before he would take it off the market. I naturally said forget it. If it is really good deal especially on a motorcycle or car, it usually doesn't have to be advertised because the owner or one of his friends will know someone who wants it. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 01:24:59 PM »

I think this is just a straight up guy and a good deal.

I told him I would rather exchange personal info in person and he was fine with that.

Google searched the sellers name and found nothing alarming.

All stories add up, but I will still proceed with caution.

I think the seller is just very trusting, as he has given way more info to me than I ever would have give to a stranger.
He sent me a clear picture of the title with VIN, name and address.

I called a local dealer with VIN and found the dealer who had done the first service.
Called that dealer and they confirmed the service was done and that the owner was legit.
Dealer told me "if that guy tells you it has 900 miles then it has exactly 900 and not 901"

I am still proceeding with caution, but I do believe this is a legit deal.

Based on new info... I would appreciate your opinions.

mark

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 08:04:28 PM »

Transferring a title takes about 2 minutes.  Really no reason to forward your DL ahead of time.  I've never seen a title that required a DL number. 

If the seller is concerned about the validity of you cashiers check, do the deal at his bank and they can call your bank and verify the check. 

Giving up your DL gives the guy your full name, DL #, DOB, & address.  The only thing missing is your SSN.

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 08:48:53 PM »

How do you know if he is who he says he is???  He could be someone other than the owner trying to sell a bike he does not own. I would set up a day and time either with myself or someone I trust to make the purchase and title transfer. Also, I thought not only do you need proper ID but I believe you must show proof of insurance to transfer a motor vehicle title.
Good Luck with your purchase.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 11:18:53 AM »

I guess I am leaving to much info out on what has/is taking place.
I am meeting the seller to do the deal in person.
I am NOT sending my drivers license pictures.
Seller sent me a text with several pictures of the bike and one of the title.
Had a local dealer run the VIN to see when/where it was serviced.
Called the dealer that did the service.  They know the bike and owner.
Google searched the sellers name and found no red flags.

As far as knowing if he is who he says he is.  I guess that I don't know that.
I am not feeling like it is a scam anymore. 
The request for my DL info sent the red flags up.  Sellers reaction (or lack of) to me just saying we can do that in person
has me less concerned now.

In short, I guess, if a guy shows up with a title and motorcycle, and his drivers license matches the title I will be a new (to me) bike owner.

The bike is a 2014 model with less than 1000miles and several factory add ons, again not an HD.

My original red flags were:
1. price ($3500 to $4000 below market)
2. sellers willingness to give out too much info (who sends a pic of the title to a stranger... most of us blur our plates in photos)
3. asking me to send a photo of my DL

I am now thinking after the dealers description of the owner/seller he is just the type that over achieves.

Someone earlier said "trust your gut".  My gut is starting to feel more like I am about to get a good deal on a motorcycle and less like I am about to be scammed.

Still proceeding with caution and listening to the great advice here.

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 01:36:22 PM »

You can also use Google earth to verify the address on the title and make sure it is not an empty lot. I have used it in gun sales to make sure it was going to a business with an FFL instead of someone's private residence. You can also check the county website's online real estate section where he resides and verify who owns that property. It is very easy to verify things on the WWW. Good luck with your transaction, being face to face should alleviate a lot of stress.
T-MAN 117 kit

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 10:36:19 AM »

Just to update.  Thanks to all for your help.

The deal was legit and the seller was great.

I now have added BMW to the list of motorcycles I have owned.

I rode the bike from Williamsburg VA to Chicago, IL Thursday and Friday (20th & 21st).
Was a great trip and completely comfortable with my new heated gear from First Gear.  I bought the jacket and pants, gloves and socks. 
This would not have been a fun trip without it.
Temps on Friday were a low of 24 and a high of 36. 

The BMW R1200GS Adventure is a very fun scoot and is a world apart from my HD's. 

Here's some pics

ultrarider123

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 11:05:13 AM »

Very glad to hear it all worked out and you have a new horse in the stable.  Great bike that GS.  It's way too tall for me (as most BMW's are) but should be a good scooter for ya. 

Congrats on riding her home, too....your ride home brings this to mind (modified a bit to fit the thread...) "Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, (nor freezing your buttocks off cold) nor gloom of night, stays these couriers motorcyclists from the swift completion of their appointed rounds trip home."

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 11:10:24 AM »

more

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 11:12:16 AM »

selfie

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »

Thanks Haird

It is a great bike for me.  I am 5' 16" so I do fine with the height, but you are absolutely correct in this being one tall 2 wheeler.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 11:43:18 AM »

West Virginia

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2014, 11:50:01 AM »

Saturday was 50 and rainy so I took it out for its first off road adventure
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 20 queries.