Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: My 113  (Read 10749 times)

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
Re: My 113
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2014, 09:46:56 AM »

a better look at the AIM piece.

You will like the Aim Lock up hat. Very clever design that works well.

steve@fullsac.com
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHXSE
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2014, 06:12:27 PM »

Most of the tools i used.  Tools from George's Garage were already put away.

put the stock little shield on and went for a ride.  Yep, it still looks cool on the bike.  Was setting and letting the bike cool down for part of the heat cycles.

Went back home and the big shield as it was around 54 degrees out.

By the time the bike cooled down and I had a cigar, it was starting to get dark.

Have to say, the bike ran great with the PV map that Steve sent me.  Only logged 14.1 miles today.  Hopefully tomorrow I will get time to do another 40 or so, so I can change the oil.

Chris

2021 FLHXSE

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2014, 06:18:32 PM »

Let me know how you like the AIM DEVICE. I am try to decide what to do this spring. Either the AIM or just get a Bandit or Barnett clutch

Its not bad.  Feels completely stock at lower RPM's, but does require more effort at higher RPM's.  Kinda the best compromise.  A bigger clutch will require more effort at all RPM's.  If I had a lot more miles on my stock clutch, I would have went with a new clutch, but since I only had 2100 miles...
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2014, 09:05:57 PM »

Its not bad.  Feels completely stock at lower RPM's, but does require more effort at higher RPM's.  Kinda the best compromise.  A bigger clutch will require more effort at all RPM's.  If I had a lot more miles on my stock clutch, I would have went with a new clutch, but since I only had 2100 miles...

Thanks for the report and congrats on getting yours finished and running. I have a shade over 24000 miles on my 2013 SERK now and have a few more months to go before doing the 113 mods to mine. Therefore, I believe I will get a new clutch. Also might get that new compensator from Baker.

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2014, 09:21:16 PM »

Absolutely!  I was hoping that Baker or Darkhorse would have released before I finished my build/assembly.  I wasn't going to wait, though.  And I can't say enough about how good Steve at GMR was to me.  Every time I had a question, he had the answers.  This was my first Twin Cam build and it took me 3 days to assemble it.  That includes cleaning parts, filing rings, and cigar breaks.  Not to mention, I don't have a lift so I would come inside and lay on the floor when my back or knees hurt. lol.

Tomorrow, I will finish the first 50 miles, change the oil, and possibly pull the cam chest apart just to inspect everything.

Chris
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 09:24:50 PM by cmashark »
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2014, 10:02:59 PM »

Random thoughts:

Bottom end-I wanted some piece of mind about the strength of the bottom end and didn’t want to wait for my crank to be welded up so I went with an S&S crank will full width H beam rods.

Cams-I used TW-555 cams for this build.  I had already ordered them before I got with Steve to do the heads, jugs, and pistons.  While this worked out for me, if you are planning a build, do not order anything till you talk with whom ever is working your heads, setting your compression and deck height.  I may end up swapping over to GMR’s 577’s, I dunno.

Jugs-I had a thought in my head about doing black jugs on my granite engine.  For whatever reason, I chose to stay with granite.  Wish I could have a do over with this one.  I think black would have looked sweet.

Pipes-They are exactly that.  I chose Jackpot ceramic coated stainless 2-1-2.  I like Fulsac’s pipes too, but I wanted ceramic stainless.  Now, for those that think ceramic coated pipes will be drastically cooler, I have a nice 1 inch long blister on my wrist from reaching under my bike during heat cycles.  They are cooler, but not drastically.  lol.

Larger TB’s with open elements-They make noise.  You can deal with it or…

Ward’s fans-Kinda neat.  I still haven’t hooked up the thermal switch.  Its in the 50’s here so I can manually turn them on in traffic.  Once my break in is done, I will hook it up.

RSD Clarity covers-They are the devil.  Lol.  They will have you on your knees shining your flashlight inside there just to see what is going on.  You’d be surprised how much moisture your engine creates in the crankcase during short operating periods.

Parts in general-Clean them.  Whether they are new or you just removed them, yesterday.  Clean them.

Tools-George’s Garage has all the specialty tools you’d need for this job, well except for the ring filer.  Believe it or not, I went to Auto Zone to get one and the manager (a couple years older than me) said he had never heard of such a tool.  Really?  I ordered it from Summit Racing.

The build-Now, I am not a motorcycle mechanic, but I am an aircraft mechanic.  I had a blast putting this thing together.  It wasn’t as cool as being a young Sailor in TJ, but it was great to see a portion of what Steve, Scott, Kirby, and the others do on a daily basis.  Next time, one of them will be pushing a crate S&S 124 into my bike.  :)  I know, I’m lazy, but I also like to support small American businesses.

Overall, I would rate this an 8 on the fun factor, unless you don’t like to tinker…

Chris
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

Ripcord

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2014, 10:24:40 PM »

I'm very impressed. I just knew you had to have some build experience. If I did that to my bike I would just call the scrap yard to haul it away!
12" Buky Malos and engine guard, Le Pera Continental, Zumo 665 nav, black lower legs, matching TourPak, Madstad windshield, and lots of other "stuff"

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2014, 09:14:45 AM »

You'll like a 113" . I feel your pain not having a lift. 2 winters ago I rebuilt my 113" with only a jack. Knees and back took a beating.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2014, 05:54:23 PM »

How do you like the TW-555 cams? How's the mid range power?
I had a Fatso motor built for my son for Christmas with similar specs. That cam is really close to the cam I selected. I just want a clue as what to expect.
Thanks

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2014, 03:03:59 PM »

I had a Fatso motor built for my son for Christmas with similar specs. That cam is really close to the cam I selected. I just want a clue as what to expect.
Thanks

I haven't had the opportunity to open it up yet.  So far I have had it up to 3500 rpms. Now I will say that during some low speed riding I had to blip the throttle to get out of someone's way and roasted the tire for about 10 ft.  Sucked having to do that in the first 50 miles, but I have had a grin on my face for the last 2 rainy days.   :)  tomorrow is supposed to be cold but clear, so I will get her out and finish the break in and do some gentle rolls up to about 4500-5000, followed be engine breaking back to 2000 rpms. Then the beating will begin  :bananarock:

Chris
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2014, 03:08:13 PM »

I have a video of it running during the heat cycles.  For some reason, I can't up load it to youtube with my iPad or iPhone.  It's too big to load directly to the forum, can anyone help?  It's not too big to text as I shot it to a couple guys I work with.

Chris
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

firefighter156

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2015, 02:04:01 PM »

I have a video of it running during the heat cycles.  For some reason, I can't up load it to youtube with my iPad or iPhone.  It's too big to load directly to the forum, can anyone help?  It's not too big to text as I shot it to a couple guys I work with.

Chris

Nice work. I'm sorry if i missed it but what tuner did you use?  Do you have any intentions of Dyno tuning it and find out how the HP/TQ number shake out??
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

2014 CVO Limited

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2015, 03:04:32 PM »

Nice work. I'm sorry if i missed it but what tuner did you use?  Do you have any intentions of Dyno tuning it and find out how the HP/TQ number shake out??

I'm using the Power Vision.  I do plan on dynoing it, but will have to wait till mid February as the Navy has something for me to do during the month of January.

Chris
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

firefighter156

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2015, 03:09:17 PM »

I'm using the Power Vision.  I do plan on dynoing it, but will have to wait till mid February as the Navy has something for me to do during the month of January.

Chris

Thank you.  Look forward to the results if you choose to post them.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

2014 CVO Limited

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2015, 06:27:07 PM »

Thanks

I took the bike out and beat on it with the PV's wide bands and have to say that my butt dyne is impressed.  From 2000 up to 5000 the bike pulls a lot harder than it did stock with the TW222's.  The 222's felt like they were losing torque rapidly by 5000 rpms.  I am sure that the 555's are starting to drop by then, too, but my butt couldn't feel it as it did with the 222's.  I can't wait to get it on a dyno to see what the curves look like.  Not sure if this helps, or not.

Chris

It was cold!

Chris

2021 FLHXSE
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 20 queries.