Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Bearings on Bushtec Trailer  (Read 12944 times)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Bearings on Bushtec Trailer
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 03:00:20 PM »

203-FF made me grin.  That's a very common bearing in the automotive world.  Used as an end bearing in alternators for many applications for years and years.  If they hold up to the heat, belt tension and RPMs of engine environment driving an alternator you'd tend to think the trailer wheel bearing application would be a piece of cake.  Certainly going to check mine now this weekend.

Sounds like I made a good choice in cross referencing the Part # of the bearing Bushtec supplies.  I'm with you Don if they hold up to the heat, belt tension and atmosphere  alternators live in they should be perfect for trailer use.   I guess time will tell.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 01:11:16 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 12:20:11 PM »

Chains, in post # 4 you referenced the specs for the Bushtec bearing:  Bearings are 15.875mm ID X 40mm OD X12mm single row sealed ball bearings.

That is the same info I got from Andrew Preston several years ago and he cautioned me that the NTN bearings come in different ID sizes and the 17mm is more common.  He said the 17mm will not correctly fit the axle shaft

From what I could find the National Bearings by Federal Mogul #203-FF is 17mm ID.  Does it also come in the 15.875mm ID?  If it is the 17mm version did it fit the axle shaft? :nixweiss:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 01:09:30 PM »

Chains, in post # 4 you referenced the specs for the Bushtec bearing:  Bearings are 15.875mm ID X 40mm OD X12mm single row sealed ball bearings.

That is the same info I got from Andrew Preston several years ago and he cautioned me that the NTN bearings come in different ID sizes and the 17mm is more common.  He said the 17mm will not correctly fit the axle shaft

From what I could find the National Bearings by Federal Mogul #203-FF is 17mm ID.  Does it also come in the 15.875mm ID?  If it is the 17mm version did it fit the axle shaft? :nixweiss:
h
Was going to put bearings in today, saw your  post and got out my calipers.  After un wrapping the bearing it is 17mm I'd and no it is not the correct option.  Even though the computer at the parts store showed it as a crossover to the original the id is too big.

Thanks for the heads up.  Looks like the 5 bad bearings won't be replaced today.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 01:12:59 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 01:19:38 PM »

h
Was going to put bearings in today, saw your  post and got out my calipers.  After un wrapping the bearing it is 17mm I'd and no it is not the correct option.  Even though the computer at the parts store showed it as a crossover to the original the id is too big.

Thanks for the heads up.  Looks like the 5 bad bearings won't be replaced today.
It would be nice if Bushtec used the more common 17mm size for their axle.  That's why I carry a spare set - I figured that a failure away from a major metro area might make it very hard to find the less common size.

Anyway, glad it all worked out.

IBA member # 45520

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 01:41:13 PM »

Just went on line and ordered them from a JSB Bearing, a supplier on Amazon. Should have them by the end of next week.  Turns out they are used in swimming pool pumps and riding mower decks.

I'm with you, if they used the more common 17mm id you could buy them anywhere.

Thanks again for the heads up.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 03:40:10 PM »

Hmmmm....  I just checked my bearing index sheet and the 6203LU you mentioned at the outset shows as a 17mm bearing.  Will be curious to see what fits when you get the pieces in hand.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 05:32:46 PM »

I got mine from the local Grainger.  I think Bushtec may actually be less expensive but don't know for sure.  It is 6203LLB - Grainger's part no. 5U537.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 05:36:30 PM by ultrafxr »

IBA member # 45520

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »

I finally got the right ones coming.  .625 id by 1.574 od by .472

The 6203lu is what is on the bearings that failed. I believe they can be had with the 15.875mm id as well as the 17mm. Therein lies the confusion at the auto parts store in the crossover.  The wrong bearings have been returned and new ones should arrive Thursday.  One would think why didn't you just get them from Bushtec?

The last items I ordered from them take way too long to ship.  It appears without a Preston at the helm the corporate buracrecy the wheels turn slow.  Shame, really a good product all the company needs is someone that cares.  I did notice when looking at their us trailers, one of them is in a warehouse and I saw a wooden box full of luggage racks.  To me it appears to be a shipping box like one would receive when importing items from China, Korea or some other country.  May explain why it takes so long to get things from them.

I still think I will send them my polished directionals for new tires, a little nervous about letting any of the local guys changing the tires out. Hate to have anyone destroy a high dollar set of wheels.  The local shops that I have been in have signs stating Not Responsible for breaking custom wheels.

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 08:57:30 PM »

I just read all the posts and I always keep 2 sets of bearings in my trailer. I have only had to replace 2 bearings since new (2008)
and I have always kept and used NSK #6203-625DDUC3, which is a .625" diameter, same as the axle diameter. As far as tires are
concerned I just replaced mine with new Bushtec 6 ply. I suggest anyone who wants OEM, check out their website for places they will be set up, and if you are in the area, make a reservation for new tires. I just did the Wing Ding in Madison WI. last summer. I got new tires, tubes and balance for a little over $160, which isn't bad for 7 years of usage.
The "TAZMUN"

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 09:23:16 PM »

That's real good I know Bushtec recommends replacement of tires when they are worn down to 1/16 tread life. Most guys probably never wear them down that far.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 10:29:22 PM »

The 6203lu is what is on the bearings that failed. I believe they can be had with the 15.875mm id as well as the 17mm. Therein lies the confusion at the auto parts store in the crossover.  The wrong bearings have been returned and new ones should arrive Thursday.  One would think why didn't you just get them from Bushtec?

The last items I ordered from them take way too long to ship.  It appears without a Preston at the helm the corporate buracrecy the wheels turn slow.  Shame, really a good product all the company needs is someone that cares.  I did notice when looking at their us trailers, one of them is in a warehouse and I saw a wooden box full of luggage racks.  To me it appears to be a shipping box like one would receive when importing items from China, Korea or some other country.  May explain why it takes so long to get things from them.

I still think I will send them my polished directionals for new tires, a little nervous about letting any of the local guys changing the tires out. Hate to have anyone destroy a high dollar set of wheels.  The local shops that I have been in have signs stating Not Responsible for breaking custom wheels.
I've got the same high dollar wheels on my Bushtec and that is the main reason I sent the wheels to them for new tires and bearings - simple and reasonably  priced.  I have used a local indy tire shop for the last couple tire changes on both my bikes as the owners also ride and have the right equipment and personnel to change out motorcycle tires.  One of the owners noticed my receiver hitch which lead to discussion about trailers and Bushtec.  He said that he had changed one set of tires on Bushtec wheels for a customer - but never again.  He said it was one of the most difficult jobs he'd ever had and he would not do it again.

IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 11:04:43 PM »

I don't think I've got a 5/8" internal bearing puller.  Oh well, bearings can always be managed.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 10:28:36 AM »

I don't think I've got a 5/8" internal bearing puller.  Oh well, bearings can always be managed.

Neither do I.  Actually I have an old pushrod from a 283 with the end ground flat on it and you can get enough of a bite on the bearing if you push the spacer to one side.  A few hits on each side and its out. Second one is a breeze then with a piece of tubing.

Safety glasses on and hammer down.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 11:04:51 AM »

Neither do I.  Actually I have an old pushrod from a 283 with the end ground flat on it and you can get enough of a bite on the bearing if you push the spacer to one side.  A few hits on each side and its out. Second one is a breeze then with a piece of tubing.

Safety glasses on and hammer down.
I checked this morning and didn't have 8.625 collette to go on a bearing puller. Didn't think I did either. But if is tight can always get one finger of a slide hammer or something else in there. More than one way to skin a bearing or cat.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2015, 11:44:24 AM »

Funny set up. I wish they would go with standard axles, bearings, rims, and tires. The old (pre-94) 2.50 tires, shocks, and suspension parts are no longer available from them. It would be nice to get on the road repairs when needed instead of having to overnight stuff, otherwise I'm happy with their products.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 24 queries.