Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Touch Up Paint or??  (Read 5254 times)

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
Re: Touch Up Paint or??
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 05:54:25 PM »

Found out that D.O.T. orange paint looks OK on the pumpkin, comes in handy, inexpensive spray cans at Home Depot.

How many of ya believed that? ;Dsuckers

Years ago a service guy at the dealer gave me some quick tips that worked for me several times (don't bother reading if yer in a big hurry):
1. touch the area with a ladies fingernail 'burnishing' stick. It's barely rough, but enough to dull the spot, and JUST the spot. It ISN'T sandpaper!! And it's stiff and small so you can do just the dingspot.
2. shake the touch up paint really good, then pull the little brush out (or use your own little brush) and wipe the brush on a piece of paper, taking off almost all the paint.
3. "Touch" the spot ONE TIME, leaving hardly any paint on the spot. ONE TIME! (I know, I know. Hardly anything there)
4. walk away for a day (or however long it takes for the paint to dry good).
5. burnish the spot again, and repeat #2 - 4.
6. repeat #5... keep repeating until you've built up the spot.
7. don't burnish your final 'touch'
8. when it's good and dried, polish carefully, and wax-on.

This worked for me on my States Blue Pearl '96 Road King and my wife's '97, uh, 'purple something' several times.  I didn't use any clear coat on those, but I guess clear coat would be the final 2 or 3 layers.
--The key is to NOT blob the paint on, trying to git-r-done in one pass, and it sure worked. I still have a little piece of paper in the garage cabinet with those two colors on it where I wiped the brush... kinda nostalgic.

Garz
You can do it, we can help!  
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2006, 08:02:47 PM »

..............................Years ago a service guy at the dealer gave me some quick tips that worked for me several times (don't bother reading if yer in a big hurry):
1. touch the area with a ladies fingernail 'burnishing' stick. It's barely rough, but enough to dull the spot, and JUST the spot. It ISN'T sandpaper!! And it's stiff and small so you can do just the dingspot.
2. shake the touch up paint really good, then pull the little brush out (or use your own little brush) and wipe the brush on a piece of paper, taking off almost all the paint.
3. "Touch" the spot ONE TIME, leaving hardly any paint on the spot. ONE TIME! (I know, I know. Hardly anything there)
4. walk away for a day (or however long it takes for the paint to dry good).
5. burnish the spot again, and repeat #2 - 4.
6. repeat #5... keep repeating until you've built up the spot.
7. don't burnish your final 'touch'
8. when it's good and dried, polish carefully, and wax-on.

This worked for me on my States Blue Pearl '96 Road King and my wife's '97, uh, 'purple something' several times.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 08:11:06 PM »

Garz,

Excellent info.  As you said, slow and gradual is the secret.  It's very difficult to remain patient enough to do it this way, but the results will be worth it.

One other trick many of us "old timers" use is to apply the thin coats with a paper match.  The paper match stick picks up just enough of the paint without the problem of having to wipe the excess out of the brush each time.

Jerry

Huh, paper match... they still make those? [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] Good idea.  Just DON'T, as a friend of mine did, use a 'Q-Tip'. ;D Can you say "fur"?   ;D ;D ;D
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 08:18:30 PM »

CAll Jenny @ BenjI's.. I she can't get it for you >>>>they didn't make it>>>>>Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 08:21:33 PM »

Looks like everybody has the same problem i to am trying to find parts # for my 05 teal cvo, Cant seem to keep my fat foot of the bags! Any help would be appreciated.
iamtrker2,

94278 is the candy teal set.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

03glide120

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2006, 08:41:37 PM »

iamtrker2

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2006, 09:56:10 PM »

iamtrker2,

94278 is the candy teal set.

Jerry

Appreciate the info great help.
iamtrker2

iamtrker2

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2006, 11:08:58 PM »

CAll Jenny @ BenjI's.. I she can't get it for you >>>>they didn't make it>>>>>Greg

Thank You
Ernie

iamtrker2

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2006, 11:11:02 PM »

Try this http://www.cyclecolor.com/id72.htm

I will give it a try

Thank You
Ernie aka iamtrker2

elvislee

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 11:06:15 PM »

I didn't read all the posts for touch up paint but here is a site I ran across about a month ago.

http://www.hmhd.com/webstore/viewprod.asp?pid=paint

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 01:07:38 AM »

Ordered a Cherry and Teal set last Thursday afternoon. Dealer called first thing this morning and they were already in.

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (05)  Cripple Creek, CO (06) Nelson, BC (07) Sedona, AR (08) Hood River, OR (09) Pala, CA (10) Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Spokane, WA (12) Santa Fe, NM (13) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray, CO (15) Fortuna, CA (16) Victoria BC (23)

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 01:15:28 AM »

On the way to Ft. Worth last night and got popped by a gravel truck big time. Ding in the faring right below the windshield. [highlight]Call dealer today and MOCO doesn't offer ony "touch up paint". [/highlight]What have you all done to fix your dings,get paint etc: other than staying away from gravel trucks?????Thanks greg
West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (05)  Cripple Creek, CO (06) Nelson, BC (07) Sedona, AR (08) Hood River, OR (09) Pala, CA (10) Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Spokane, WA (12) Santa Fe, NM (13) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray, CO (15) Fortuna, CA (16) Victoria BC (23)

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

hogheritage04

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, but rather the journey
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 03:14:56 PM »

Hey Mtncop73, I too am interested in the number for the touch up kit.  Please post as soon as you have it.  Great help...thanks

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2006, 07:48:51 PM »

Picked up the paint sets today and the first thing I noticed was the cherry is three parts (light candy cherry basecoat, dark candy cherry basecoat and candy cherry topcoat) and the teal is a two part set (light candy teal and dark candy teal).  Both the same price.

Does anyone know why the difference. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Part numbers are 94278 Candy Teal and 94276 Vortex Candy Cherry.  Not sure what the vortex part means.

Likely because the red bikes are faster they require the additional coat to protect from bugs and other objects that may hit the bike.[smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

West Coast GTG   

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2006, 08:02:57 PM »

Picked up the paint sets today and the first thing I noticed was the [highlight]cherry is three parts (light candy cherry basecoat, dark candy cherry basecoat and candy cherry topcoat) and the teal is a two part set (light candy teal and dark candy teal).  Both the same price.

Does anyone know why the difference[/highlight]. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Part numbers are 94278 Candy Teal and 94276 Vortex Candy Cherry.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 25 queries.