Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Hawg-Wired Amp's Rock!!  (Read 31931 times)

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
Hawg-Wired Amp's Rock!!
« on: September 14, 2008, 05:24:02 PM »

It's raining like &#!! in Chicago.  I can't ride, so I thought I'd create a video demo of my Hawg-Wired amp.  This thing rocks!  I peak out over 100db's of perfectly clear audio from only two speakers.   I have no problem hearing this one with my stock windshield ;)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Hawg-Wired Amp's Rock!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 05:37:46 PM »

All I can say is WOW!!!! :shocked2: That is sweet. :bigok:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 08:59:06 PM »

Cool video.  But damn you Jim.  I never knew I needed a sound level meter from Radio Shack before this frigging post 8) .

HDCrazy

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '15 FLTRUSE Red (Sold)- '19 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: '15 FLTRUSE Blue (Sold)
    • CVO3: '14 FLHTKSE (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 09:00:27 PM »

That is great, you did exactly what I was thinking of doing. What set-up (part #) did you use, complete kit w/ speakers and amp ?  I also noticed you installed the rear bag guards on your bike. I was thinking the guards would not come down low enough on the SERG to look good because of the bag-extensions, are you happy w/ yours?
Thanks,
Greg

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 09:44:36 PM »

The Radio Shack sound meters are useful.  Not only can I use it to setup my home theater, I can also measure the db output of my pipes!  Of course I don't need a meeter to know the stock pipes are challenged by a weed whacker!

I installed the Hawg-Wired PSC/CX system that included the 150 watt amp (75x2) and the CX504 speakers.  The install is fairly easy.  The most difficult part is running the power wire to the battery. 

I got this baby to travel.  I like having the extra storage and a water bottle.  I use them all of the time.  They bars are not an exact fit, but it is close.  They just cut inside of the bottom corner of the bag a bit.  It looks fine to me.  Can't tell it isn't supposed to be that way.  The top of the bar fits the same as the stock bike.  here's a pic of the bottom of the bag and bar. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 09:52:10 PM by Jim Kerr »

HDCrazy

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '15 FLTRUSE Red (Sold)- '19 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: '15 FLTRUSE Blue (Sold)
    • CVO3: '14 FLHTKSE (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 11:22:39 PM »

That looks really good, thanks for the pix and info.

viaton

• Rockin' in Hellsinki
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2006 FLSTFSE²
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 07:53:45 AM »

Very nice! Thanks for the info!  8)

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 08:03:32 AM »

The system I purchased is the Hawg-Wired PSC/CX http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.php?products_id=78.  It includes a 2 channel 75 watt each amp (P/N: PSC1502) and 2 CX504-70 speakers.  The Amplifier and Speakers are matched.  You can't use the OEM or Hawg-Tune speakers with this setup. 

They also sell a rocking 4x75 watt 4-channel amp that is basically the same size for those that want hard-wired tour packs or lower speakers (P/N: PSC3004 - http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.php?products_id=50).  The nice thing about the PSC3004 is that you can start off with 2 speakers and expand it to 4 later.  It will run in 2-channel or 4-channel mode.  The PSC1502 is not expandable beyond 2 channels.  The cost difference, however, is substantial.  The PSC1502 amp, not including speakers, is $549.95 and the PSC3004 is $749.95. It isn't worth the $$ unless you need 4-speakers and don't want to use lower-power satellite amps.   

The system screws in or is double-sided tape mounted to the inner faring.  It is easy to install, but you do have to cut and splice the OEM wiring from the speakers and run a huge power wire to the battery.  The system can be grounded where the faring is mounted to the frame (just below the radio stack).  A good ground and power is critical. 

Below is a photo of the Hawg-Wired Amp install on my bike.  The system fits into the Road Glide Faring no problem.  The two or four channel amp easily fits under the right glove box (#1).  The speakers come with everything needed to install into the stock Road Glide speaker housing (#3).  The CX504 speakers also come with an external cross-over (#2) that removes frequencies that the speaker cannot reproduce.  The amp also has a built-in cross-over.  Combined you get pure undistorted sound to max volume. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:07:54 AM by Jim Kerr »

O4SEGlide

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 08:39:50 AM »

Very nice job Jim on the Sound System. What IPod mount are you using on the handlebars?

Thanks

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 09:07:16 AM »

Any idea how many Dbs stock system puts out?

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 10:19:46 AM »

The stock system puts out about 40 or so db's.  The Hawg-Tunes speakers would bump it up 10-15 db's as well as make the stock system a million times better.  The OEM speakers are pathetic.  Every bike should at least change the speakers. 

I'm using a mount called Riders Claw on the bike (http://www.ridersclaw.com).  This is a small company that only accepts PayPal, but the quality is excellent and shipping was fast.  They only make mounts for the ipod Nano's. 

I like the Riders Claw/Nano combo because it is small and looks like it was designed for the bike.  It mounts to either the clutch or break housing via the existing two screws and is easy to control while riding.  The install is very easy.  The unit comes with longer screws and spacers. 

I also bought the connection cable.  The one I'm using is 3ft.  They sell a 1.5 ft, but it isn't long enough to reach the Road Glide radio.  I wire tied the patch cable to the clutch hose and then routed behind the spedo.  It isn't beautiful, but it does the job. 

What I'd like to do is hard-wire the patch cable into the radio.  This would clean up the install and look a million times better.  I'm sure this is possible, but I need a wire diagram for the OEM radio to figure it out.  Has anyone out there hard-wired an ipod into a factory radio before? 

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 10:41:49 AM »

Very nice set-up! Thanks for taking the time to post the installation pictures and the video.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 10:51:01 AM »

What I'd like to do is hard-wire the patch cable into the radio.  This would clean up the install and look a million times better.  I'm sure this is possible, but I need a wire diagram for the OEM radio to figure it out.  Has anyone out there hard-wired an ipod into a factory radio before? 

There's a thread in here somewhere with the directions. Just on my way out the door so I won't be able to find it for you.

Biscuit

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 02:05:44 PM »

Jim, Your radio sounds great. I guess that will be a mod I need to do on mine. Has anybody used the JM replacement speakers, and what do they think of them. http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=HRUS-06GT&PF=6

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 02:55:41 PM »

I saw a 2008 Anniversary Road Glide with the J&M speakers about a month ago.  They looked nice and sounded good.  One thing I wasn't keen on was that the tweeter is exposed.  I believe it would be easier to damage than one that is hidden behind the speaker mesh.  The J&M tweeter is also quite a bit smaller than the hogtunes speakers.  I'm curious how well it will perform.  To objectively compare these speakers, however, we need the complete specs.  Unlike the Hawg Wired, it doesn't appear that Hogtunes or J&M publish the dynamic range on their websites.  The bigger the frequency range the better it will sound.  Power claims are all subjective.  They only need to handle the max power output of the H/K (20 watts a channel). 

Before I would buy the J&M I'd get the specs.  I know of many HD drivers that have Hogtunes and are happy with them.  Hogtune speakers are also a bit less expensive.  $99.95 versus $109.99. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 25 queries.