Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Rider backrest on 09 FLHTCUSE4  (Read 7194 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: Rider backrest on 09 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 09:58:55 AM »

I have to disagree on that one.  I have a lot more choices in a girlfriend than backrest adjustments.  My backseat is currently vacant and taking applications to fill the position once again.  I guess I'll just have to get out there and do some more interviewing.  In the meantime, I need to get the backrest in a comfortable position.

Oh, and the overthinking and overanalyzing thing...I guess that's just what I do.  Actually, on my last bike, I jumped into making some changes too quickly, and ended up replacing things a second time, so I decided to think things through a bit more this time before making any changes.  I know, adjusting the backrest can be undone without cost, so I'll go do it...today or tomorrow.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 10:27:48 AM »

I had the same problem and modified my backrest mount to lean back more I will go take some pics for you.
Caution what I did can not be reversed but I use my driver backrest now and like it.
going out to the garage to take pics now.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 10:55:13 AM »

Here is the way I mounted mine and I will again caution you to the fact I am 5' 16" tall (6' 4") and this is perfect for me.  It may lean your backrest back too far, but you can use this to vary your's as necesary.
Mount the single bolt where you want it first...notice I flipped the brackets gold on top black bracket on bottom to give some more lean.  Tighten the single bolt first, then tighten the two bracket nuts.  If the bracket is touching the fender grind the mount as necesary.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 07:35:23 PM by guppytrash »

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 10:56:18 AM »

more

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 10:57:02 AM »

another

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »

I cut off last hole (most forward backrest position) and ground down the base at angle so it would not dig into the fender.
DO NOT GRIND THE WELD OFF
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 11:16:38 AM by guppytrash »

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 11:05:48 AM »

Before you make the same mods try leaning it back while useing the forward most bracket holes.
(The ones I cut off)  Once you angle it feels much further back even in the most forward position.
There is some play in the backrest so the picture does not show the full recliner mode it moves another 1/8 to 1/4" when you lean against it. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 11:19:39 AM by guppytrash »

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 11:27:03 AM »

I had one of these on my 2000 Road King and never used it because I always hated the way it stabbed me in the back now that I modified this one I hate to ride without it.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 12:42:08 PM »

Thanks.  I like that idea of flipping the gold and black.  I'll try some things and see what will work out best for me.  I'll try the options without grinding first, before I do the irreversible.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 03:07:10 PM »

GuppyTrash...it worked.  I removed the upper bolt on the black bracket, loosened the side bolts on the base bracket, pushed the black bracket to the side and slid it under the gold piece.  Put that bolt back in and tightened, then tightened the other 2 bolts.  I put everything back together and that was just enough of a tweak to make the backrest feel just right.  That little bit actually made for quite a bit of movement.  I didn't grind off the back part of the bracket.  I'm not sure if it will scratch into the paint, but I think the last place I am going to worry about is there.  I know I will never ever ever put a single seat on this bike and I'm not removing that backrest bracket for anything either, so I don't think it will ever be seen.  Actually, I just thought of something that I can put under there to pad it and keep it from scratching.  I guess it's work another 10 or 15 minutes to loosen it up again and keep it from getting scratched up.  Anyway, thank you.  That was a great idea.

SE66

• Senior CVO Member
  • Life Begins When You Get One

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Twilight Blue / Stardust Silver
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 08:48:21 PM »

I know exactly what you are going thru with this backrest.  I adjusted the bracket in every position.  I also moved the backrest up and down in the bracket. Still it was not at the right angle to fit my lower back properly.  So I took the backrest and put the two arms of the backrest in a vice.  Put a large crowbar in between the bars and made sure the end of the crowbar was placed into the jaws of the vice.  Then I applied enough pressure to actually bend the arms.  After bending the arms a little at a time.  Now my backrest has the proper angle that I have been looking for.  Fits my lower back from top to bottom of backrest.  Complely satisfied with how the backrest now fits my back.  Remember just bend the arms a little at a time.  you will be supprised how much angle lean you will get with just a small bend of the arms.

Jimmy
Jimmy

rrjacoy

• OR

• CVO1: 23 FLHTKSEANV
    • CVO2: 15 FLHTKSE - Sold
    • CVO3: 09 FLTHCUSE4 - Sold
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 01:55:54 PM »

It's comforting to see I'm not the only one having issues with that backrest.  You would think on a bike that costs this much they would have included an adjustable backrest.  I actually went out and bought a pair of small clear rubber doorstops at Lowe's, cut the length down about half and then put them under the 4 mounting holes which made the rest stand up straighter.  The rubber doorstops protect the fender paint and made it so i didn't have to modify the mounting bracket or the rest itself.  When you use the doorstops as wedges you'll notice that the tongue mounting hole moves up one position which helps keep the backrest upright.  It wasn't perfect but it was better.  Then I found that if I moved the backrest up to the top position in the mounting bracket it hit my back in a more comfortable position (I'm 6'2").  It's pretty good now although I wish it supported the small of my back instead of my upper back like my old Mustang seat and backrest.  Still, it's better than riding without. 

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 02:24:35 PM »

I think I'm happy with the little tweak switching the bracket from over to under made.  I guess I won't know for sure until I can get this puppy out for a ride.  I've already thought ahead to the idea that it still isn't perfect, and I've decided that my next move would be to grind off the rearmost holes, like Guppytrash did, and then wedge a piece of rubber under the front about 1/16" thick.  That should probably give it a tad more angle if I need it.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 08:40:24 AM »

I have to disagree on that one.  I have a lot more choices in a girlfriend than backrest adjustments.  My backseat is currently vacant and taking applications to fill the position once again.  I guess I'll just have to get out there and do some more interviewing.  In the meantime, I need to get the backrest in a comfortable position.

Oh, and the overthinking and overanalyzing thing...I guess that's just what I do.  Actually, on my last bike, I jumped into making some changes too quickly, and ended up replacing things a second time, so I decided to think things through a bit more this time before making any changes.  I know, adjusting the backrest can be undone without cost, so I'll go do it...today or tomorrow.

Just replacin chit twice??? you got off easy......Myself and I'm sure a lot of other guys here qualify for the multi-time club>>>Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 08:51:55 AM »

Well, immediately that reminds me of my handlebars. Changed those 3 times on my last bike. Bike before that...4 changes to intake and rejetting carbs. Yeah, I've had some multiple changes I can think of quickly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.