Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: SERG AND CVO: VERY GOOD TO ME! NEXT?  (Read 48187 times)

oj greene

• OJ

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: SERG AND CVO: VERY GOOD TO ME! NEXT?
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2008, 03:18:44 PM »

oj greene, The Kuryakyn LED front running lights are terrific!  I installed the 4825 Front L.E.D. Conversions - New Bullet (Smoke) $119.99.  Just make sure you read the on line instructions about installing the load equalizer and splice into the correct wires (under the seat).  They are bright enough that I've had cars pull over for me thinking I was LEO at night.  You'll have to experience that to believe it.  With the Xenonlink headlights, people sure see you coming! 

Thanks but what I was refering to was the stock led tail /brake lights. being led they should be pretty bright and very red.

OJ

[/quote]
OJ
68 FL
72 XLCH
86 XLH
06 FLTRI  for sale
09 FLTRSE3

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2008, 02:53:54 PM »

LINBAR,

New fitament for the 2009 Tour Frame.  It was not easy to fit, however.  Be very careful if you try to install or you could wind up stripping the threads in the frame. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 02:01:30 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 0/B 09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 01:54:40 PM »

very nice, thanks for the pics. can hardly wait for the weather to clear off here, enjoy the bike!
10.5 SE pistons, roller rocker arms, Headquarters  575 cams, SE push rods. 100 HP. 119 lbs. torque Progressive F/R

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2008, 02:32:03 PM »

OK, Loved my '04 RG.  Had no reason to sell but like you, always thought a Screamin' Eagle RG would be sooo cool....  So, HD announces new SERG.   :huepfenjump3:   I research that and what do I find?  cvoharley.com, of course.  Ordered the SERG late July.  Sold the '04, August 23.  Picked it up, October 4.  Boy was that a fun wait....   :'(   In the meantime, I read here, LEARN, search for discounts and look what happened:

Bike:

SERG MSRP                         $31,199.
Freight to CA                            345.
Handling                                   598.
Extended warranty                     998.
Tax & Fees                             3,146

Accessories (with tax & shipping):

Tour Pak w/ lock, backrest,
hardware & docking kit             1,577.
Tour Pak organizer & liner            127.
Fullsacs 2"                                119.    (Thanks Jim and Steve!)
Core Bit                                     40.     (ditto)
Klock Werks windshield                155.
Digital oil dipstick                       121.
Heavy Breather                          250.
SERT & dyno                             550.
Titan Amp.                                450.     (Thanks Jim! but my Stereo guy says the HW price was too much)
Polk Audio Speakers                      80.     (And $3 at Radio Shack)
Tune Trapper Antenna                  40.
Lindby Engine Guard                    325.     (Now I can't spend the $$ for HD lowers)
Kuryakyn LED front signals            109.    
Xenonlink headlights                    120.     (Thanks Jim!)
G-W Chrome Fasteners                200.

That took all of two months and a week.  Still looking at WTS's supercharger and license plate, Mike's rear boards and highway pegs (very nice!).  Did someone say Frenched plate?  Seat?  Heads?  Cams?  Trailer / Sidecar?  (kidding) Fullsac collector?  Pin Striping for the Tour Pak?  New House?  It's only $$ money  .  End result and talking with CVO members?  PRICELESS!!     Thank you for my Bankruptcy (kidding, for now).

What's next?  Am I on the right track? 

Greg, your bike looks awesome!  I got to see a yellow at the dealer and they are very nice. 

How are the amp and Polk speakers working for you?  The HW is certainly expensive.  This sounds like a good alternative.  What is the RMS rating of the amp?  Do you get any distortion at max volume? 

Below you mentioned the TT antenna reception issue.  I had a similar problem.  What I did was put an Antenna Y adapter up front and shortened the OEM antenna.  This solved the directional reception issues for me. 

I've been looking at the Kuryakyn LED's, but wasn't sure if I actually needed to install the load balancer or not.  Did you try it without?  It may work on our bikes because we already have LED's on the rear.  The primary use is for the load is for the turn signal module.  If the load is low the security light may illuminate. 

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2009, 11:58:37 AM »

Greg, your bike looks awesome!  I got to see a yellow at the dealer and they are very nice. 

How are the amp and Polk speakers working for you?  The HW is certainly expensive.  This sounds like a good alternative.  What is the RMS rating of the amp?  Do you get any distortion at max volume? 

Below you mentioned the TT antenna reception issue.  I had a similar problem.  What I did was put an Antenna Y adapter up front and shortened the OEM antenna.  This solved the directional reception issues for me. 

I've been looking at the Kuryakyn LED's, but wasn't sure if I actually needed to install the load balancer or not.  Did you try it without?  It may work on our bikes because we already have LED's on the rear.  The primary use is for the load is for the turn signal module.  If the load is low the security light may illuminate. 

Hi Jim,

You're my HD sensei.  Now that I've seen the SERG in all it's colors, I would take any.  Love yours, of course.  I think I'm partial to Yellow because it seems to be the rarest, though. 

The Titan amp comes from Biketronics.  (http://www.biketronics.com/touring.html#bt444)   It's very small and light and fits with Velcro to the top of the Harmon Kardon:  1.5 x 3.25 x 4.25 inches, 75 watt RMS per channel.  The Polk audio speakers sound great (and I am a stereo snob) but do get overwhelmed at about 65% power.   That is more than loud enough.  If fact, without earplugs it's too loud.  I did save a fair amount of $$ that way and only had to install a couple of 1/8th" connectors since I did not buy it as a set.  The antenna "Y" adapter was my next thought and I have ordered one not knowing if it would really help so thanks for that information.   My CD's sound great but very poor FM.  Your fix sounds like a good plan.  I got an i pod for Christmas and will use that.  Would love to have XM as I have that at home and Sirius in the office.  The HD set up in the Harmon Kardon is just a rip off though so I have not figured that one out either. 

Kuryakyn LED's are a simple install and do require two load balancers.  The security light did come on when before we installed the balancers and the left directional will flash a few times and then flash double time.  The set comes with the necessary clips to tap the balancers into the wires leading to the rear tail light / directionals which are exposed under the seat.  There are good directions in a pdf file on the Kuryakyn web site.  It's probably a very similar installation to the wig wam light you installed (which I need to get). 

Thanks for the information and Happy New Year!

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2009, 05:43:06 PM »

Hi Jim,

You're my HD sensei.  Now that I've seen the SERG in all it's colors, I would take any.  Love yours, of course.  I think I'm partial to Yellow because it seems to be the rarest, though. 

The Titan amp comes from Biketronics.  (http://www.biketronics.com/touring.html#bt444)   It's very small and light and fits with Velcro to the top of the Harmon Kardon:  1.5 x 3.25 x 4.25 inches, 75 watt RMS per channel.  The Polk audio speakers sound great (and I am a stereo snob) but do get overwhelmed at about 65% power.   That is more than loud enough.  If fact, without earplugs it's too loud.  I did save a fair amount of $$ that way and only had to install a couple of 1/8th" connectors since I did not buy it as a set.  The antenna "Y" adapter was my next thought and I have ordered one not knowing if it would really help so thanks for that information.   My CD's sound great but very poor FM.  Your fix sounds like a good plan.  I got an i pod for Christmas and will use that.  Would love to have XM as I have that at home and Sirius in the office.  The HD set up in the Harmon Kardon is just a rip off though so I have not figured that one out either. 

Kuryakyn LED's are a simple install and do require two load balancers.  The security light did come on when before we installed the balancers and the left directional will flash a few times and then flash double time.  The set comes with the necessary clips to tap the balancers into the wires leading to the rear tail light / directionals which are exposed under the seat.  There are good directions in a pdf file on the Kuryakyn web site.  It's probably a very similar installation to the wig wam light you installed (which I need to get). 

Thanks for the information and Happy New Year!

GK

Thanks Greg, I've ordered the LED's.  Thanks for posting the part #.  Made the shopping easy.  I had the LED's on my old bike and loved them.  This mod will make us LED's all the way around.  Cool! 

Agree with you about the Yellow.  That is one good looking bike.  It's one that you have to see in person.  Pictures do not do it justice.  The metallic flake looks awesome in Yellow.  It is much more pronounced than it is in the Orange bike. 

The antenna mod is easy.  It is certainly worth a try.  It helped my reception when riding away from the city and in parking garages.  BTW, where did you mount the TT?  It needs to be at the very, very top.  I put mine above the radio and bent it to form along the faring.  You don't want any metal in front of it or it will not work as well. 

I installed the XM on my bike when I got it.  You can see it in the picture below.  It is the module that sits directly on top of the HK.  It is easy as pie to install.  XM is awesome on the road. 

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2009, 06:06:19 PM »

BTW, where did you mount the TT?  It needs to be at the very, very top.  I put mine above the radio and bent it to form along the faring.  You don't want any metal in front of it or it will not work as well. 

I installed the XM on my bike when I got it.  You can see it in the picture below.  It is the module that sits directly on top of the HK.  It is easy as pie to install.  XM is awesome on the road. 

Thanks Jim!  Tried the TT but reception just did not cut it so I returned it for the Dakota Digital which seems a little better but had to get into the wiring harness to wire it to the radio power line as the directions recommend.  I tried relocating the antenna and amp but nothing really worked.  With the dakota digital, if I hold it above the bike it works great.  That did not make me happy.  Since the stock antenna was much better, I wondered if a "Y" adapter would help.  It's on the way from Parts-Express. 

What did you use for the shorter antenna?  I'll need that to use with the tour pak. 

I did not know I could have negotiated the XM when I bought the bike.  That would be ideal but the HD upgrade is $500 ($400 through Chicago HD) plus antenna, etc.  Any thoughts there?  Thanks!! 

Greg

Sawyer Brown

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2009, 07:53:38 PM »

What did you use for the shorter antenna?  I'll need that to use with the tour pak. 

I just cut the OEM antenna down.  Worked fine for me, but any shot antenna should work. 

I did not know I could have negotiated the XM when I bought the bike.  That would be ideal but the HD upgrade is $500 ($400 through Chicago HD) plus antenna, etc.  Any thoughts there?  Thanks!! 

Negotiated is a loose word.  I just got 20% discount and they installed it for free.  You may also try to price the part through Zanotti.  Sometimes they beat Chicago HD on prices (http://www.zanottimotor.com). It is expensive, but worth every penny.  It makes the antenna reception issue pretty much a non issue.   

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2009, 12:00:10 PM »

Good advice!  Thanks Jim!     :huepfenjump3:

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 11:47:16 AM »

WTS, Bixby and others have used the Kuryakyn chrome license plate bracket for their SERG.  It is not made for the SERG but it is adaptable.  Instructions (and most) have drilled the fender to make it fit.  Bixby was the first I know to drill the back plate of the license bracket.  It was not an easy fit and required a template, a drill press and a fair amount of trial and error (more error than trial, I think).  But here is the stock look with the Kuryakyn shots to follow. 

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 11:48:15 AM »

Kuryakyn:

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 11:49:27 AM »

Closer look:

The scales are from the Choir Boys MC. 

Sawyer Brown

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2009, 02:50:47 PM »

"What's next?  Am I on the right track?" Yes but you could  do what I did, 10.5 pistons, 575 andrew cams, SE push rods, roller rocker arms.  There is only an end when you run our of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
 :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;D ;D ;D :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno: :nervous: :2vrolijk_21:
10.5 SE pistons, roller rocker arms, Headquarters  575 cams, SE push rods. 100 HP. 119 lbs. torque Progressive F/R

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 05:09:28 PM »

Really like the "look" of that plate but not prepared to redrill the fender :( :-\ :'(

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2009, 12:32:22 PM »

Really like the "look" of that plate but not prepared to redrill the fender :( :-\ :'(

Nor was I!  That was the point of the above posts.  You can install by drilling the backplate of the bracket, not the fender.  The drilling is more difficult because the backplate is curved where you need to drill but you can then use the HD bolts and and protective box inside the fender.  To wire, you cut the plug off the HD licence bracket and splice or solder to the Kuryakyn.... 

GK

Sawyer Brown

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 25 queries.