Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Oil Temperature Gauge  (Read 3587 times)

Birdman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3
Oil Temperature Gauge
« on: March 09, 2009, 08:34:38 PM »

Has anyone added the spun aluminum oil temperature gauge to  your bike?  I just replaced my ambient temperature gauge with the oil temperature gauge.  The new gauge does not light up like the other gauges.  The numbers do not have the back light like the other gauges.  It still has the red light but the numbers do not light up.  Does anyone else notice this or does your look like all the other gauges? :furious3:

flhtcu07

Re: Oil Temperature Gauge
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 07:49:55 PM »

Its happened to me before when changing gauges,either the bulb is missing,no power or it popped out when installing.The gauge should illuminate the same as the others.Goodluck.

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 10:59:42 PM »

check the bulb in the back of the gauge,check to make sure it didn't fall out,has power or is not bad   :2vrolijk_21:

Jon
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »

There are other threads on this, its the difference between the 09 gauges and the 04-08 SE guages. They are lit differently and the MOCO does not have plans for a revision to match the 09 style.

I reported this back in December.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=31483.msg508686#msg508686

And here:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=32093.0

ThomasK

• Full CVO Member
    • CVO2: 2011 SE Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 06:46:46 AM »

I had the 09 oil temp gauge on my 08 RKCL. First it didnt work well,than I changed it at my dealer and it worked well.
These are OEM parts, dont worry about ;)
Greetings from Frankfurt/Germany
ThomasK

Birdman

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 10:21:58 PM »

There are other threads on this, its the difference between the 09 gauges and the 04-08 SE guages. They are lit differently and the MOCO does not have plans for a revision to match the 09 style.

I reported this back in December.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=31483.msg508686#msg508686

And here:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=32093.0

Hd-Dude
  Thanks for the innformation and pointing me to the other threads.

SE Junkie

• CVO Addict
  • 2005 SE2 (SEEG)

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
    • CVO2: 2001 FLTRSEI2
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • My CVO Bikes
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 01:18:25 AM »

While on the subject of oil temp gauges.  I just put the silver HD gauge on my 01 SERG.  What a pain.  But it was made easier using the advise from all of you folks. I did the oil pan with the 3/8 to 1/4 reducer.  I took it out today for the first real test run for 200 miles.  I have an oil leak somewhere.  But I was with a friend that just put the Roger McEwen (sp)?  We compared install notes.  The RM gauge didn't need a reducer, it was the correct size to fit directly into the pan.  The wires came with the spades to use the existing connector.  It seems that the RM was more thought out! I had borrowed a oil temp dip stick for the ride.  When ever we compared readings my dip stick matched his RM gauge and my HD gauge showed a lower temp reading by about 10 degrees (it was 50 out today in NY / NJ). So my conclusion is that the RM is a better decision.  I have the HD spun aluminum gauge to put in my 05 SEEG.  But I am rethinking it.  I think I want to pick up a RM gauge for the SEEG and sell the HD one on E-Bay.

can I get you boys to give me some feedback on my findings and thought process? A sanity check?  (not that I am sane!)

Thanks in advance.  Jack
It's all about the ride & the people you ride with.

2005 FLHTCSE2, Luxury & Teal Green, AKA: SEEG

2001 FLTRSEI2- WAS 100% stock, Black, Platinum silver & Charcoal, AKA: SERG.

2009 FLTRSE3, Stardust Silver & Titanium Dust, AKA: SERG.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 09:00:35 AM »

Quote from: SE Junkie link=topic=34522.msg557660#msg 557660 date=1237180705
But I am rethinking it.  I think I want to pick up a RM gauge for the SEEG and sell the HD one on E-Bay.
can I get you boys to give me some feedback on my findings and thought process? A sanity check?  (not that I am sane!)

A) Did your friend just buy theRM gauge?
b) How did he buy - since RM never answers his phone.

I gave calling him almost two years ago because I have a problem with my gauge fogging up (since day 1).

Personally - a guy that never answers the phone or responds to email will not get a penny from me.

The SE spun silver gauge apparently is not a perfect match for the 05 (I have one on order - waiting to see) but from the pictures it is a closer match then the RM gauge.

As far as sending units, I'm going to start out using the sending unit I got with the RM gauge and go from there.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

SE Junkie

• CVO Addict
  • 2005 SE2 (SEEG)

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
    • CVO2: 2001 FLTRSEI2
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • My CVO Bikes
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 01:05:17 PM »

Answer A: Yes
Answer b: he bought it here-phat performance parts

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GK61537

I noticed his gauge fogged up too.  My HD gauges fog up now and then, as well.  In fact I had a 57 Porsche speedster years ago with VDO gauges and they fogged up too.  I think it's just a matter of the fact that gauges are susceptible to the weather and car interiors are more climate controlled?

On the subject of you using the RM to start!  The wiring harness's are different.  RM uses 2 wires and the sender a GND.  HD uses 3 wires, with an actual GND so I don't thing the 2 seperate gauges are compatible.

How do you get you photos on your posts?

Jack
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 01:10:26 PM by SE Junkie »
It's all about the ride & the people you ride with.

2005 FLHTCSE2, Luxury & Teal Green, AKA: SEEG

2001 FLTRSEI2- WAS 100% stock, Black, Platinum silver & Charcoal, AKA: SERG.

2009 FLTRSE3, Stardust Silver & Titanium Dust, AKA: SERG.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 01:39:36 PM »

Quote from: SE Junkie link=topic=34522.msg557921#msg 557921 date=1237223117
I noticed his gauge fogged up too.  My HD gauges fog up now and then, as well. 

I think it's just a matter of the fact that gauges are susceptible to the weather?

My HD gauges have never fogged, even after washing or heavy rain.
My Mcewin gauge fogs up EVERYDAY when I first pull out of the garage. Doesn't matter time of year or time of day. It just fogs up and takes about 2 hours to clear up.

On the subject of you using the RM to start!
The wiring harness's are different.  RM uses 2 wires and the sender a GND.
HD uses 3 wires, with an actual GND so I don't thing the 2 separate gauges are compatible.

Either way I will be trying it - if I can avoid running new wires then I will, if not - the tank and faring are already off so no big deal. Going to also try using the sending I already have.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

RGS1966

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 09:15:40 PM »

I installed my oil temp gauge a few weeks ago in a 2004 flhtcse.  The gauge was installed in the oil pan and works great.  The gauge matchs the other gauges except for the pin stop. 
RGS

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 0/B 09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 04:28:49 PM »

They are lit differently and the MOCO does not have plans for a revision to match the 09 style.

The above is NOT correct, HD has changed the lighting for 09, and the new oil guage (the proper one) will be available by 4-19, 
10.5 SE pistons, roller rocker arms, Headquarters  575 cams, SE push rods. 100 HP. 119 lbs. torque Progressive F/R

Birdman

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 09:43:44 PM »

They are lit differently and the MOCO does not have plans for a revision to match the 09 style.

The above is NOT correct, HD has changed the lighting for 09, and the new oil guage (the proper one) will be available by 4-19, 

Jettjocky,
  Thanks for the post and the update.  Looks like I will be buying another oil gauge after 4-19.

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 0/B 09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 12:18:18 AM »

no problem,  this stuff changes every day, my dealer was not even aware the availabilty of the new matching part  until I ordered a oil temp gauge for my 09 bike today.  I believe the part number is the same except ends in -09  Like Roseanne says "it's always something" ;D.
10.5 SE pistons, roller rocker arms, Headquarters  575 cams, SE push rods. 100 HP. 119 lbs. torque Progressive F/R

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 12:36:39 AM »

I am glad HD is no going to release a new guage, this is good news!  At the time of my original post ( December of last year) There was no plans for a revision. That info I reported came directly from a P&A rep at the Moco. It is interesting that the silver faced guages to match the Street Glide are on backorder and due out the first week of April. I wonder if they are modifying something else with them?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 20 queries.