Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: water in the 09 swingarm  (Read 11760 times)

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
water in the 09 swingarm
« on: May 29, 2009, 02:10:18 AM »

I also had rusty water over the swing last week , but i did not thought further about the rusty water coming out of the swingarm ,
Now i read , You have to remove the belt-cover to let it flow out .
 It seems that there is no open hole where the water can flow out again .
Did anybody else recognized this after you have been ridden in the rain ?
http://hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/344801-09-touring-swingarms-hold-water.html
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: water in the 09 swingarm
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 02:14:39 AM »

I also had rusty water over the swing last week , but i did not thought further about the rusty water coming out of the swingarm ,
Now i read , You have to remove the belt-cover to let it flow out .
 It seems that there is no open hole where the water can flow out again .
Did anybody else recognized this after you have been ridden in the rain ?
http://hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/344801-09-touring-swingarms-hold-water.html

I noticed it on my belt guard.  Is there anything that can be done?  I noticed someone said something about a hole that the dealer should drill to be bigger, but it looked like they were just guessing that there was a hole there in the first place that got clogged.  Any idea if there is actually a hole there for drainage?

Silver Streak

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG (sold)
    • CVO2: 05
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 10:14:49 AM »

I too noticed rust upon my belt cover.  Very unsightly!  Concern for integrity of the metal!  When I asked the tech at the dealership, he stated "with the new design of the frame and all the electronics upon our bikes, there is a collection area under the seat.  Holes underneath to drain."  I was strongly encouraged not to get my bike wet.  It only takes a little rain.  Evan saying I should dry wash it because of all the electronics. 
If I don't ride in the rain in the Great Pacific NorthWest then I don't ride!

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 10:20:21 AM »

I too noticed rust upon my belt cover.  Very unsightly!  Concern for integrity of the metal!  When I asked the tech at the dealership, he stated "with the new design of the frame and all the electronics upon our bikes, there is a collection area under the seat.  Holes underneath to drain."  I was strongly encouraged not to get my bike wet.  It only takes a little rain.  Evan saying I should dry wash it because of all the electronics. 
If I don't ride in the rain in the Great Pacific NorthWest then I don't ride!

Don't get your bike wet?  I have to ask again...Don't get your bike wet?  Are they kidding?  I guess I'll have to ride in that enclosed state...which one was that again?  I forget which state has a roof.  Oh, that's right...NONE of them.  Did he bleed when you punched him in the nose?

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 10:21:18 AM »

Do we know the specific locations where water collects?  It shouldn't be too hard to drill a couple drain holes & alleviate the problem.  

EDIT:

Looks like problem located & solved.  Excerpt from the HDForums link (provided earlier in this thread):

Took off the belt guard last night and much to my amazement there was a small rust ring located near the middle screw. I wonder where this could be coming from. Could the company be so neglectful that the drain hole was covered by the belt guard? No, say it isn’t so. My fix was the same as yours; I drilled a hole in the belt guard so if any water does get into the swing arm the water will have a place to drain out. I also plugged up the suspected inlet hole with RTV sealant.

The location of the drain hole and the design of the belt guard got me to thinking. Maybe the belt guard design should have been modified such that the edge of the belt guard went around the drain hole, not simply put a drain hole in the belt guard. Another words the belt guard would have a U shape formed around where the drain hole is located.

Anyway I believe this should fix the problem. Did I say problem, I meant to say I believe I just improved the newly modified HD drainage system for the 09 touring models.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 10:27:55 AM by PR3VS56 »

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 10:24:31 AM »

Do we know the specific locations where water collects?  It shouldn't be too hard to drill a couple drain holes & alleviate the problem.  

If it's not really a set drainage route where the water is accumulatiing, I would think that shooting some grease in the area would help prevent it rusting.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 02:48:49 PM »

If it's not really a set drainage route where the water is accumulatiing, I would think that shooting some grease in the area would help prevent it rusting.

I think a better idea would be to seal the area where the water makes entry, then spray the interior of the swing arm with a rust inhibiting spray.  A couple of strategically located drain holes wouldn't hurt either.  Grease can have the unintended effect of just damming or diverting any water until it finds another location to rust and then drain out.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 03:38:07 PM »

I sent an email to my service manager earlier today asking him about rust on MY 09 SEUC swingarm.

I also let him know that mine was not an isolated incident based on complaints posted on different forums.

Two things about my service department,
(1) they are great to work.
(2) putting it writing expressing concern about a swingarm rusting to a point of failing and causing bodily harm.
Always gets their attention.

They called Harley about the issue.
Harley acknowledged there was an issue and was working on a cure/fix.
My bike was assigned a case number for future reference.
As anal as they think I am, (not sure why) I know and they know I want an answer as to the cure/fix as soon as possible.
So as soon as I know I will post the cure/fix.

And an interesting note, the service manager asked if they just sealed where water could enter and opened up holes where it could exit would that work?
The response was "DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES TO THE SWINGARM, WE ARE WORKING ON A CURE/FIX!"
I will keep you posted!

SBB
 :2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 03:42:51 PM »

Could someone post a picture of this please.  As you know: 

:worthless:

Thank you!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 06:27:33 PM »

I sent an email to my service manager earlier today asking him about rust on MY 09 SEUC swingarm.

I also let him know that mine was not an isolated incident based on complaints posted on different forums.

Two things about my service department,
(1) they are great to work.
(2) putting it writing expressing concern about a swingarm rusting to a point of failing and causing bodily harm.
Always gets their attention.

They called Harley about the issue.
Harley acknowledged there was an issue and was working on a cure/fix.
My bike was assigned a case number for future reference.
As anal as they think I am, (not sure why) I know and they know I want an answer as to the cure/fix as soon as possible.
So as soon as I know I will post the cure/fix.

And an interesting note, the service manager asked if they just sealed where water could enter and opened up holes where it could exit would that work?
The response was "DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES TO THE SWINGARM, WE ARE WORKING ON A CURE/FIX!"
I will keep you posted!

SBB
 :2vrolijk_21:

No way.  They think you are anal?  Where in the world did they ever get that idea? :orange:

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 06:35:36 PM »

Could someone post a picture of this please.  As you know: 

:worthless:

Thank you!

Here's that picture of rust you wanted.  I'm surprised you don't know what it looks like though.  Seriously, if you ride through some heavy rain and then let your bike sit on the side stand over night, you may see some rust on the plastic belt cover on the left side of the bike.  I haven't had it show up after washing the bike, but I have had it after riding in heavy rain.  It's got to be dripping on there from somewhere.  I just noticed it on mine for the first time when I went to wash my bike upon arrival in Myrtle Beach about 2 weeks ago.  I haven't seen it again, but I haven't ridden through any storms since then either.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 06:48:59 PM »

GREAT: Something more for Dave to worry about!  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: Only saying!

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad

I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 06:58:30 PM »

GREAT: Something more for Dave to worry about!  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: Only saying!

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad

I only worry because I know if I don't catch it, you'll inspect my bike and point it out to me.  Actually, when I saw it, I didn't think too much about it and just cleaned it off.  I'm kind of glad to hear that others have the same thing and that someone is trying to come up with a fix for it.  Nothing better than sitting back and letting someone else do the leg work for me.  BTW, thanks for following up on this Chip.

kurtlange

• Full CVO Member
  • chrome me
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 07:22:37 PM »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 10:10:23 PM »

No way.  They think you are anal?  Where in the world did they ever get that idea? :orange:

Hmmmm, I don't think they said anal.  I believe it was more like azzhole. :o

Sorry Chip, I just couldn't resist.

Jerry  ;D
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 24 queries.