Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Swing Arm Water Patch  (Read 3878 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Swing Arm Water Patch
« on: June 05, 2009, 01:35:55 PM »

This paragraph is a revision to what you read below.  I would do the patch first and then use the WD-40 afterward.  I just recalled that the hole was real easy to find after doing the WD-40 because there was a ring of oil surrounding the hole, which makes me wonder a bit whether I will end up with a good seal on mine.  If you do the patch first, you won't get the WD-40 coming out of that hole to cause a potential problem.

From reading through the thread on hdforums.com, it doesn't look as though anyone is getting anywhere with the MOCO for a fix from them.  In case anyone hasn't been following along elsewhere, water is getting into the swingarm through a small hole in the front of the swingarm and then draining out of a hold that is covered by the belt guard cover.  If you are having the problem, you may see rust colored dirt on your belt guard cover.   I believe this only pertains to 09 Touring models.  Follow along here and I should answer all the questions that are popping up in your head.

If you patch the hole in the front of the swingarm so no water can get in, then there's no reason to do anything to the drain hole at the belt guard cover.  Here's what I did on mine:  First I removed the belt guard cover, cleaned up the area, and sprayed a whole heck of a lot of WD-40 into the drain hole.  I let the WD-40 drain back out and I got quite a puddle on my garage floor, so remember to put something under there before you start spraying.  I left it sit for half an hour or so and then wiped off any excess at the drain hole.  By the way, the drain hole is covered by the belt guard cover and less than an inch to the front of the center bolt on the belt guard cover.  Then I reinstalled the belt guard cover.  Operation complete on the bottom part. Note:  Don't remove the front bolt on the belt guard cover.  You only need to loosen it and slide the cover forward to allow the bolt head to pull through the larger opening in that slide hole.

Now, to deal with the hole that needs patched in the swingarm, first you need to locate the hole.  Grab a flashlight!  In the first photo, you will see a hose behind your oil cap (in the photo it has letters and numbers on it starting with Y-HHS 300).  If you look down through the opening just to the right of the 2nd zero in "300" on that hose (between that hose and the larger wrapped wires just to the right), you will be able to just barely see the small hole in the swingarm.  It may have a slight yellow coloring to it.  It's not easy to see, but once you find it, you'll know what you are looking for and find it immediately on subsequent looks.

Here's what I did to patch it:  I took the bottom length of a coat hanger and cut it with the cutter portion of my needle nose pliers.  I then gripped the end of the hanger portion with the needle nose pliers and made a slight bend in the end of the hanger (about 3/4").  I took a small piece from a cardboard box of MGD and cut a small rectangle of the cardboard. Next, I super-glued the piece of cardboard to the bent portion of the hanger.  This will give you a small flat area to put an ample amount of sealing material on and use it to spread across the hole.  I used Permatex #66B Clear RTV Silicone to seal the hole.  I put a good size gob on the cardboard and I put on 3 quick coats to make sure I had a good seal.  It helps if you have a small flashlight that will fit into your mouth, unless of course you have someone else there to hold the light for you, but I'll bet the light in the mouth will work better than trying to direct someone else to the small zone you have to hit with light.  The total process from start to finish was about 10 minutes, and that was only because I wanted to wait a few minutes to make sure the super-glue adhered.

As far as why the holes are there in the first place, all of the theories point back to one item, which is that in the end, they should have plugged the holes, regardless of what they were needed for in the manufacturing process.

Here are a few photos to get you through.  One other thing, doing it this way, if the MOCO does come up with something else, this is easily totally reversible by getting the silicone patch out.  That's a normal wire coat hanger...I don't know why the photo makes it look so thick, so the piece of cardboard is probably less than 1/2" wide.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 01:43:51 PM by 1abastarsmda »

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

Re: Swing Arm Water Patch
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 01:36:35 PM »

Here's the photo of how to find the hole in the swingarm mentioned above.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 01:39:46 PM by 1abastarsmda »

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 10:54:59 PM »

Is that a chrome starter or a cover??????

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:09:12 PM »

You know, that seems like a lot of work.  I think I would go with that fix offered to one of the members by his dealership.  You know, the one about avoiding getting the bike wet.  (I wonder if there's a way to leave the bike in one of those inflated bags Harley sells for storage and still ride it?)

Jerry ::)

Oh, btw, I sure hope that was official factory approved silicone sealer that you used.  I'd hate to see your swingarm warranty voided due to using non-approved materials.  Hopefully you used the higher priced SE version for a truly lasting and professional repair.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 11:47:07 PM »

You know, that seems like a lot of work.  I think I would go with that fix offered to one of the members by his dealership.  You know, the one about avoiding getting the bike wet.  (I wonder if there's a way to leave the bike in one of those inflated bags Harley sells for storage and still ride it?)

Jerry ::)

Oh, btw, I sure hope that was official factory approved silicone sealer that you used.  I'd hate to see your swingarm warranty voided due to using non-approved materials.  Hopefully you used the higher priced SE version for a truly lasting and professional repair.

Jerry

He's killing me.

I posted this,

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=37370.0

and it clearly said do not do anything.

The Motor Company was/is working on a fix.

Dave posted before my post and he even copied my post and commented. I now wonder if he read what he copied?

As has been determined I'm a little anal about this stuff but until I have an official answer mine is being left alone.

And Dave to copy Jerry,

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 11:53:24 PM »

Jerry

He's killing me.

I posted this,

Dave posted before my post and he even copied my post and commented. I now wonder if he read what he copied?

As has been determined I'm a little anal about this stuff but until I have an official answer mine is being left alone.

And Dave to copy Jerry,

I think this is the post you are referring to - water in the 09 swingarm Reply #7. That link you are using is to the thread itself.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 11:55:30 PM »

:jack: And I've showed you how to use the hidden link too. ;) :wiseguy: :evilgrin:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 01:10:15 AM »

Jerry

He's killing me.

I posted this,

And Dave to copy Jerry,

After reading all the posts on hdforums, I came to the conclusion that we're not going to see anything from Harley to fix this.  If they do, my fix can be peeled back off, so where's the harm?  I just put on the chrome lower belt guard at the same time and I'm not going to run around with rust dripping from it while you are waiting for an official answer.  From what I've seen with the MOCO, official answers don't seem to spread themselves uniformly across all dealerships unless it comes in the form of a straightforward bulletin.  Take the front tires for example.  Many have gotten theirs replaced due to cupping and many others, including myself, have been told it's not a warranty issue because they were told in the bulletin to continue to sell out of the old stock.  So, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  I decided not to wait and took care of the problem in a simple way.  Hopefully, with the multitude of complaints that they are receiving on this issue, Harley will step up and deal with it, but in the mean time, I've eliminated the issue, and for the few minutes that it take to do it, you should do it also.  Remember, that RTV silicone is real easy to just pull back out if needed, and I didn't have to drill a hole in the belt guard like some have suggested.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 01:12:40 AM »

Is that a chrome starter or a cover??????

Chrome starter.  I paid $101 to upgrade it to chrome when my original needed replacement under warranty.  There are aftermarket chrome starters out there starting from the $150 range and up, if you are thinking about getting one.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 08:26:19 AM »

:jack: And I've showed you how to use the hidden link too. ;) :wiseguy: :evilgrin:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

:oops:      :oops:     :oops:    :oops:    :oops:    :oops:

I'm still reeling over the excitement from last night. It worked!

:bananarock:      :bananarock:      :bananarock:      :bananarock:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 08:30:54 AM »

Okay, I'll ask.  What's a hidden link?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 08:37:47 AM »

Kewl. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 12:31:05 PM »

“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 12:04:02 AM »

If you patch the hole in the front of the swingarm so no water can get in, then there's no reason to do anything to the drain hole at the belt guard cover.  Here's what I did on mine:  First I removed the belt guard cover, cleaned up the area, and sprayed a whole heck of a lot of WD-40 into the drain hole.  I let the WD-40 drain back out and I got quite a puddle on my garage floor, so remember to put something under there before you start spraying.  I left it sit for half an hour or so and then wiped off any excess at the drain hole.  By the way, the drain hole is covered by the belt guard cover and less than an inch to the front of the center bolt on the belt guard cover.  Then I reinstalled the belt guard cover.  Operation complete on the bottom part. Note:  Don't remove the front bolt on the belt guard cover.  You only need to loosen it and slide the cover forward to allow the bolt head to pull through the larger opening in that slide hole.

Maybe I should read this closer but I was a little worried about WD-40 DRAINING near the rear tire.  Be CAREFUL!
I once hit an intersection where a dump truck blew a hydraulic line and left the entire lane covered in fluid.  It was too late when I saw it and I was doing 65 so I pulled in the clutch and coasted thru.  Not really a big event once I go the seat cushion out of my butt. 
Hydraulic fluid was dripping from the bike when I pulled over.  It was still dripping when I got home 45 minutes later.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 24 queries.