Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Cooling fan  (Read 3248 times)

SE_ULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
  • CAUTION: Extreamly shinny. WEAR EYE PROTECTION
Cooling fan
« on: November 25, 2005, 05:16:23 PM »

I just hate traffic in hot weather...having to stop to let the bike cool. I do it, I just hate it. Does anyone have experience with the bolt on fan kits?
2006 FLHTCUSE
TrueDuals, 6-Speed, Stage-1, Race Tuner, High Flow
...and a shiny little bell

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Cooling fan
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 06:36:59 PM »

I just hate traffic in hot weather...having to stop to let the bike cool. I do it, I just hate it. Does anyone have experience with the bolt on fan kits?

Never even seen one of those things before.  First thought is, "can it really help that much?"  Kinda neat looking unit though.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 06:43:05 PM »

Never even seen one of those things before.  First thought is, "can it really help that much?"  Kinda neat looking unit though.

Pretty good looking version compared to the other one I have seen.  i guess, any additional air movement when at a dead stop on Thames street in downtown Newport would help.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

SE_ULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
  • CAUTION: Extreamly shinny. WEAR EYE PROTECTION
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 07:03:44 PM »

Well if anyone is interested I saw it on e-bay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4591322940&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT I think I may try it out...there are 8 of them so feel free
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 07:04:09 PM by SE_ULTRA »
2006 FLHTCUSE
TrueDuals, 6-Speed, Stage-1, Race Tuner, High Flow
...and a shiny little bell

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 07:54:50 PM »

Nice adaptation of the add-on horn cover, but wonder what the life expectancy (MTBF), and origin, of the fan is but could be OK if it is MILSPEC type of item. If it also had a horn inside, it would be a seller.  :) I've bought quite a few items over the years from Eastern Performance Center in MD and they've always been good and stood behind their sales, even internet purchases. I've seem some CPU fans added to the oil coolers but nothing as professional looking as this.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 07:56:59 PM by CVOJOE »
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 08:01:18 PM »

I'm thinkin I could probably hide a Cadallac horn inside of that thing........that'd sure get people's attention.  The cover is a lot better looking than the round one that they've had for a few years.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 08:04:07 PM »

CVOJOE, the way I read it, there was a horn in there with the cooling fan.  I agree, it's a good looking unit, lots smaller and sleeker than the MoCo's fan, but, I'm wondering if it would have a adverse effect on cooling of the rear cylinder once you started moving fast enough to naturally flow cooling air over the motor.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 08:27:44 PM »

Hey Spy, as I read the ebay ad, it comes with a horn relo kit, so that means pulling the fairing if installed, etc. Neat package but not quite " all inclusive" huh ? :-?
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 09:31:05 PM »

If I read the info correctly, it has a manual on/off switch.  It would be preferable to have an automatic, temperature controlled switch so you wouldn't have to remember to turn it on and off.  Looks 1000% better than the unit H-D sells, and would probably be a great idea for anyone who rides in parades or heavy city traffic.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • Live to plumb/plumb to ride
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 11:10:05 PM »

Totally agree with you guys thats a damn good looking fan unit, like to know some specs on that. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
04 SEEG / 05 1200 C / 99 FLSTC / 70 TRIUMPH TROPHY
 ** IT'S A PASSION** NOT A HOBBY**

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 11:59:51 PM »

Perhaps in addition to an off / on switch, the thing to do would be to hook it up to your brake lights. That way all you need do is keep a foot on the brake pedal, or squeeze the front brake and the fan comes on. Once you start rolling, the fan will shut off. Also great for brake dragging in parades and funerals.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 12:23:59 AM »

I had one on my 2000 classic, it was from the MOCO. (see page 442 of the 2006 catalog for a pic) It broke 2 brackets in a row, (first one, replaced it then broke again.) It had a thermostat you had to mount on the air cleaner. It did work but after the bracket the 2nd time I took it off. It would start automatically and sounded like a radiator fan. I had plans to make a custom bracket but traded it in on the FLTRSEI2. They won't fit roadglides. Comes with a relay you mount under the seat and you have to mount your horn under the fairing. If you do any parade duty or live in an area with alotta traffic in a warm climate it will help. Fan/motor was kinda cheap made in Italy I think.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 12:25:25 AM by tony1968 »

SEUC-OCD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE - OCD
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005, 12:35:13 AM »

I had one on my 2000 classic *snip*  If you do any parade duty or live in an area with alotta traffic in a warm climate it will help.

I had considered one, but it looks like it would blow 200+ degree air right on your leg.  My GoldWing engine sticks out in front of my legs, and on a hot day it is unbearable just from the breeze.
84 GoldWing GL1200i (mint... pretty much)
06 FLHTCUSE Black/Haze (on order)  ETA: Q2-2006

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005, 01:47:47 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, SE_ULTRA,
  The MoCo fan was pure junk!  Anything would be an improvement, as far as product goes, but I wouldn't depend on it to do a maximum amount of cooling.  It does look good, though.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2005, 07:31:39 PM »

Hey Spy, as I read the ebay ad, it comes with a horn relo kit, so that means pulling the fairing if installed, etc. Neat package but not quite " all inclusive" huh ? :-?

I was curious about what they were doing with the horn so emailed the seller.  He responded that their relocation kit moved the horn and cover to one of the downtubes.  I asked for a picture that shows the horn installed as such but no answer yet.  

Phattey recently moved his horn up there though. Was doing it so he could display a cool looking emblem he'd made up where the horn used to be.  Perhaps he'll chime in here and tell us what parts he used to move his horn?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 24 queries.