Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Ohlins HD357 "Motor Officer Shocks"  (Read 11839 times)

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
Ohlins HD357 "Motor Officer Shocks"
« on: March 19, 2014, 12:02:20 AM »

Had these installed at Daytona.  They selected springs based on my fat a$$ and loaded weight, and set up ride height, etc.  The difference is astounding from the stock air shocks.

Spada84
NoSofa!

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Ohlins HD357 "Motor Officer Shocks"
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 04:16:16 PM »

Sounds like a great choice!

BigLew

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 10:45:20 PM »

Are they adjustable when a BSR gets on?
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

spada84

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 11:10:15 PM »

Yes.  Threaded collar to adjust preload.
Spada84
NoSofa!

spada84

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 09:25:06 PM »

Finally rode 2 up with these last weekend.  Even the wife noticed the difference (when asked LOL).  No bottoming out, even on back roads and our local concrete expressway that the original contractor should be sued over.  Probably the best money I've spent on the bike yet.
Spada84
NoSofa!

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 11:19:30 PM »

It looks and sounds like a great shock but the canister looks like it will interfere with the fender filler strip.

spada84

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 03:59:09 PM »

It looks and sounds like a great shock but the canister looks like it will interfere with the fender filler strip.

Or a trailer hitch.  The hose is long enough to change the mounting. There were a number of brackets and spacers so you can mount where you wish  I'm planning on moving them up to the tour pack mounting frame.
Spada84
NoSofa!

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 10:31:54 AM »

I'm either going to install these or the model down with the external reservoir mounted to the shock (De-Carbon Style) along with the NEW OHLINS front cartridges.

I was going to ask about the filler strip interference myself. I'd prefer these, despite the substantial extra cost over the next model down, but mounting that remote reservoir where its not succeptable to other part(s) interference or damage AND looks good are my only issues with these.

Do you mind if I ask you what they got you for them?

FWIW, they're going on my heavily-modded '99 FLHRCI "flexi-flyer" R/K Classic  first, then the next '15 CVO Ultra/Ltd (I have a '13 FLHTCUSE8, but it's going when the warrantee is up...this coming Jan). The Race-Tech Gold-Valve "modded" damper-rod air-adjust forks and Progressive 440IAS shocks currently in service have seen better days.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 01:59:00 PM by kmh364 »

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 10:47:42 AM »

Out of curiosity, what spring rate (nm) did they spec for you?
The best you've had is the best you know.

spada84

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 01:18:49 AM »

Sorry for the delay in answering.  Been traveling for work and not much on the forum.

I am going to move the reservoirs to the tour pack frame.  There is enough hose and mounting parts supplied to do this.  Personally, I think the reservoirs look great.  I have gotten nothing but complements on the appearance, especially from those who recognize what they are.  Every time I ride the bike I am happier with them.  Looking forward to doing the front end next.

Cost - expensive.  List is $1752 on their web site, but I paid $1500.01 installed and set up.  Don't know what springs they put on to hold up my fat azz.  I'lll need to look on the paperwork.  The lad that installed them asked for my weight, the weight of my passenger, and the % that I rode 2-up.  Did some calculations, referred to a chart, and pulled a set of springs from the rack.  Put the shocks on a jig, and swapped out the springs.  They were extremely professional.  I am always hesitant to have work done at an event, as I have seen some shoddy work.  These guys were above professional, being passionate about their product and helping me have the best ride possible.
Spada84
NoSofa!

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 01:55:55 AM »

Sorry for the delay in answering.  Been traveling for work and not much on the forum.

I am going to move the reservoirs to the tour pack frame.  There is enough hose and mounting parts supplied to do this.  Personally, I think the reservoirs look great.  I have gotten nothing but complements on the appearance, especially from those who recognize what they are.  Every time I ride the bike I am happier with them.  Looking forward to doing the front end next.

Cost - expensive.  List is $1752 on their web site, but I paid $1500.01 installed and set up.  Don't know what springs they put on to hold up my fat azz.  I'lll need to look on the paperwork.  The lad that installed them asked for my weight, the weight of my passenger, and the % that I rode 2-up.  Did some calculations, referred to a chart, and pulled a set of springs from the rack.  Put the shocks on a jig, and swapped out the springs.  They were extremely professional.  I am always hesitant to have work done at an event, as I have seen some shoddy work.  These guys were above professional, being passionate about their product and helping me have the best ride possible.
Was it Howard at Metal Works that did them?
Alan

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 01:11:32 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

Being a M/C Road Race Fan (MotoGP, SBK, etc.) and a Ducatista, I am well familiar with Ohlins quality and cred. I had Ohlins suspension on my last Duc, and my latest Duc Multistrada has the fully adjustable-on-the-fly electronic Ohlins "Mechatronic" system with the semi-actve option. Nothing works or looks better than gold anodized Ohlins suspension on a sportbike or racebike.

I was reticent to put Ohlins dual shocks on my FLHRCI not only because of the cost, but I was seeking to "finish" off the bike by completely chroming-out the rear end, so I went with the US-made Progressive 440's. In hindsight , it was a foolish decision. I'm keeping the bike (and knew it back then as well), you really have to look to see the shocks (or anything else behind the bags), and the 440's are now leaking and cannot be rebuilt. They were still a substantial $650/pair in the Chrome version (spring pre-load adjust only), versus the rebuildable monotube fully-adjustable Ohlins which were about $900/pair in alloy!

$1500 installed was not a bad price! You figure they must get an hour to install them, and they had to spring, valve and adjust (set-up sag, ride height, preload, compression and rebound damping to match the suspension at both ends) your suspension to your liking.

I'm just waiting for the frt 25mm cartridges to become available so I can pull the trigger on a complete new Ohlins suspension. I have a removable H-D P&A R/K Classic leather tourpack on my FLHRCI (that I never remove), so I do have the option of mounting the external shock reservoirs to the tourpack rack, if I desire.

Food for thought. Thanks again!

Regards,

Kevin

Dark pic, but there's the old girl...15yrs old and over 100k miles on the clock, but stilll looking and running pretty good in the OEM Aztec Orange Pearl Metallic PPG paint!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 01:38:45 PM by kmh364 »

spada84

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 03:18:13 PM »

I you actually "ride" the bike, then you can't go wrong with these shocks.  I'm away for work at present, but hope to get the reservoirs moved in the next few weeks.  I'll post photos here when done.
Spada84
NoSofa!

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 04:33:11 PM »

Was it Howard at Metal Works that did them?

I think Howard moved on and is selling JRI shocks.. I kinda asked and the answer was JRI now... Some one correct me if wrong...
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 05:11:12 PM »

I think Howard moved on and is selling JRI shocks.. I kinda asked and the answer was JRI now... Some one correct me if wrong...
Howard still has a relationship with Ohlins as well.
The best you've had is the best you know.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.