Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Tie down points for trailering 2012 Street Glide  (Read 45226 times)

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
Re: Tie down points for trailering 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2012, 12:04:21 AM »

For those that use a wheel chock is there any trick to getting the bike off the chock.
I found it easy to load onto the chock but a 2 man job to get it off.

One trick is to get the nose of the trailer up either by parking on an incline or by detaching the trailer from the tow vehicle and raising it up just be sure to set the fold down rear stabiliziers before you roll it off if you've detached from the tow vehicle.

Tannehill Kid

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2012, 08:27:01 AM »

Made these tie down brackets to match the fork mounted Kuryakyn ones, they mount behind the passenger pegs using existing mounting bolts.
Just need to get them chrome now.

This will save damaging footpeg brackets making it easier and quicker to tie rear end down from scatting side to side.

What do you think of them.
Like them!!

MNTransplant

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF Veteran (12 Years), originally from Kansas

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »

Good idea! Those'll be nice chromed up.  

X2 :2vrolijk_21:
I got back from New Mexico near the end of July and had mine tied down using passenger boards as instructed and Semi Tight on the crash bar using a wheel chock, Bolt broke on one of the passenger boards @ the frame and bike fell over causing $5100.00 damage. They said boards must have been over-torqued at one time cracking the bolt, bad news for me!!! Still waiting for painted inner fairing from Factory.
MNTransplant

Kidd_Funkadelic

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2012, 01:40:48 PM »

For me I've always liked the idea of redundancy - having 2 tie down points on either side so if one loosens up and starts to fail, the bike stays put. That said, I still managed to knock my previous bike over on the trailer because I drove in pouring rain to work, then drove after work to the dealer. The rain loosened up the ties, and I made the fatal mistake of not rechecking/tightening before leaving work in the PM. Fell over as I turned into the dealership... I've been afraid ever since of using the trailer. And that was before moving up to a bike that wasn't 10 years old, and cost 4 times the price as the last one new...

I'd love to know the method HD themselves uses.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2012, 06:33:34 PM »

I'd love to know the method HD themselves uses.
Depending on what bike you have here is a picture of a Road Glide tied down from Crash bars and frame down tubes.

Kidd_Funkadelic

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2012, 07:49:57 AM »

Depending on what bike you have here is a picture of a Road Glide tied down from Crash bars and frame down tubes.

Thanks. Should have mentioned FLHXSE3, but those strap points look like they would still work (just going by memory at the moment), even w/ the lowers if they went forward enough.

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2012, 02:43:53 PM »

Pick up a pack of those soft polishing cloth and put them everywhere a strap touches the bike. All straps will eventually rub the surfaces raw without them.

jb

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2013, 08:28:12 AM »

For those that trailer there bike can I have some details on ties point dimensions,
For front end distance between tie points on trailer bed, I currently have 1400 centres on my old trailer and in the process of building a new trailer, any ideas of a better centre distance between these tie points and how far forward from the axle centre to wheel chock.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2014, 03:10:00 AM »

New rear tie down brackets finished and chromed to match the front ones.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:22:33 AM by Aussie »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 25 queries.