Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: XM Vs. Sirius  (Read 14602 times)

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
XM Vs. Sirius
« on: May 14, 2007, 01:00:19 PM »

I'm thinking of buying a satellite radio, and I understand that they are going to merge, but until that happens which one does everybody like. So would everybody vote on the one they like or think is the better way to go.

Thanks Don.......

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: XM Vs. Sirius
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 01:05:17 PM »

i chose sirius because the module for my Sony allowed me to have a second input pass through it.

with the exception of sports programing i think the music selection is probally comparable.  oyu should be able to find something you like on either
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 01:13:25 PM »

I agree with the above comment.  Music about the same  . If you are into MLB or college sports go with XM .  NFL Howard Stern go with Sirius.  The XM module for  the Harmon Kardon radios in the touring bikes is very nice.  Nothing extra to mount and the handlebar controls operate the XM
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 01:29:04 PM »

I'm thinking of buying a satellite radio, and I understand that they are going to merge, but until that happens which one does everybody like. So would everybody vote on the one they like or think is the better way to go.

Thanks Don.......

First time I have had XM was on the Ultra.  Sirius in cars.  Both are similar, but different.

Hope that helps.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

bigdog257

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 07:32:45 PM »

I like the Sirius. I have it on the bike and a car, XM in my truck. Sirius has a wider choice in my opinion. I haven't found a channel on XM yet that I can just listen to. Sirius has Classic vinyl,  Classic Rewind, The Vault, Buzzsaw, Octane. These are a few of my favorites. You can get online and sign up for a 3 day test run to see which you would prfer.

Bigdog

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 07:49:18 PM »

I have XM but my brother has Sirrius.  I can't notice a difference in quality, although I have been told by a high end audio store that sells both services that XM has "slighter better quality due to less compression of the signal".  I think it comes down to the programming as everyone else has suggested.

Free

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 08:27:47 PM »

I like the Sirius. I have it on the bike and a car, XM in my truck. Sirius has a wider choice in my opinion. I haven't found a channel on XM yet that I can just listen to. Sirius has Classic vinyl,  Classic Rewind, The Vault, Buzzsaw, Octane. These are a few of my favorites. You can get online and sign up for a 3 day test run to see which you would prfer.

Bigdog

sounds like my list of pre-sets, but your missing Hair Nation

bigdog257

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 07:52:57 PM »

I was sticking with some of the classic stuff. I like Alt Nation as well.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 09:46:52 PM »

I'm thinking of buying a satellite radio, and I understand that they are going to merge, but until that happens which one does everybody like.
Thanks Don.......

As I review it coming from this industry, it is still up in the air regarding this potential merger.  The potential CEO has indicated that they would not force customers to upgrade to new systems due to the merger.

As for programing, it is a matter of preference.  I have XM for music/talk/entertainment programing and rarely listen to free radio.

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 08:52:39 AM »

I demoed both for sound and XM was noticeably better.  Not going to matter on a bike, though.  Both have a good selection, but it boils down to what you listen to the most.  I'd still go with XM, but it did hack me off when they eliminated the Latin Jazz channel I liked.  Both of them could use more blues offerings. If news is important to you, the XM news channels' sound sucks - it sounds like someone propped a mike in front of a cheap TV. 

bc

Thanks Don.......
'07 FXSTSSE

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 11:31:25 AM »

I had both but canceled Sirius after the 30 day trial period. I got pissed at how Sirius kept changing the channel numbers for NFL games. Music was pretty much equal.

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 06:11:42 PM »

I had XM for a year and switched to sirius 11 months ago. I like the channel selections better, besides I never listen to baseball, but I do listen to NFL and college football. Maybe Opie and Anthony will move to sirius as well.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 06:21:41 PM »

I got xm when D*tv swaped it out for their music channels- Then I got the 06 CVO and it came with three free months so I signed up since then I've added it to my truck and Suv. I get The NFL on Sunday Ticket so I'm not on the road to use Sirius and I refuse to give any money to Howard Stern - Even thro Opie and anthony aren't  worth spit  :2vrolijk_21:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 10:51:23 PM »

I've got both.  I got Sirius free for a year when I bought my truck, and have kept the subscription.  I have XM on my Ultra and my wife's Accord.  I like them both...There are some music channels I like better on XM then Sirius, and some that are on Sirius I wish were on XM...if the merger goes through, they'll drop the redundant channels off of one service and combine the programing on both satellites, so it won't matter which one you buy, they'll be the same.  Not sure if the FCC is going to approve the merger though...time will tell.
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 11:06:29 PM »

all I know is that both of 'em's stock is in the toilit. :toilet:  aaaaarrgh!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

bigdog257

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 05:11:53 PM »

Could someone with XM tell me which channel is like Buzzsaw or Octane. I listened to XM in my truck and just can't find anything close to those.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 05:48:22 PM »

Could someone with XM tell me which channel is like Buzzsaw or Octane. I listened to XM in my truck and just can't find anything close to those.
Try Channel 54 what Channels numbers  are the ones you are talking about?  :-*

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 07:26:58 PM »

buzzsaw is 19
octane is 20

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 01:09:49 AM »

I had XM for a year and switched to sirius 11 months ago. I like the channel selections better, besides I never listen to baseball, but I do listen to NFL and college football. Maybe Opie and Anthony will move to sirius as well.

Well I decided to go with Sirius for the very same reason as SOKOOLJ, I have an XM radio in my Hummer and a Sirius in the motorhome. I fugured it really won't matter if they merge, but until they do :nixweiss: Thanks to all that voted

Don............

REGGAB

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 04:17:56 PM »

While I can tolerate XM, it is a bit weird for me.  I end up changing channels alot between 46 & 49, since thye play something really good on one occasion and then play something equivalent to the B side of a 45 the next..........songs I've never heard.  Sirius channel 14 is pretty much locked down in my truck and in the garage.  Renea is the only one who changes it, and when she does, she plays channel 7, which I also like, but not my first choice.  In my opinion, Sirius is way better........as far as programming.  I haven't noticed, nor do I care, about differences in quality.

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2007, 07:56:52 AM »

I always side with the original - Coke vs (the P word), HD vs anyone, and the like. Ever notice how much money the newcomer spends on saying they are better than the original, and how the original never mentions the newcomer?

Anyway, if you are looking for a clear winner in the satellite radio war, just ask yourself, are you a Martha Stewart kind a guy?
I hate that Beatch!  :soapbox:  :sauer021: :sauer055: :devil: :puke:
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

bigdog257

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2007, 10:44:19 AM »

I agree with Reggab. I drove my truck with XM to Georgia last weekend and was constantly changing channels. Sirius has a better mix. The boss agreed so I know i'm right.  Happy Fathers Day to everybody also.

Bigdog

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 10:24:19 AM »

I always side with the original - Coke vs (the P word), HD vs anyone, and the like. Ever notice how much money the newcomer spends on saying they are better than the original, and how the original never mentions the newcomer?

Anyway, if you are looking for a clear winner in the satellite radio war, just ask yourself, are you a Martha Stewart kind a guy?
I hate that Beatch!  :soapbox:  :sauer021: :sauer055: :devil: :puke:

She is on satellite radio?  Blech!  People are paying money to listen to HER?   :soapbox:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

mhjimh

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 08:13:13 PM »

I now this is a little old, but I did a search of XM vs Sirius and found this. But my question was more would you install the MoCo XM over the Sirius where I have to add a bag to carry it in and be able to see and change channels and remove it at night at hotels? I'm wanting to add this to My 07 FLHTCI that I primarily travel on.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 08:15:40 PM by mhjimh »

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2007, 09:06:35 PM »

I have xm on my bike because it came w/it, if it didn't I would get an xm Inno or a sirius Stilletto. If you like talk radio you can record and store 50-100 hrs (depending on unit) and skip all the ads. Also you can bring into a car or your home w/out having to buy additional radios and subscriptions. It is nice being able to use handlebar controls, but I only listen to a couple of stations anyway so I just use the presets. Besides the HD radio, I also have an xm Pioneer Inno for true commercial(skip) free Ron&Fez, O&A and 'lil Jimmy Norton.       If you're thinkin about getting a portable unit check out myradiostore.com       they have some pretty good deals there.

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2007, 08:17:06 PM »

Well I'm a little disappointed right now. I purchased the Sportster 4 model Sirius radio at the first part of November. We bought the bike mount for it from sirius which comes with everything you need to hook it up and it's pretty neat thing. It was working great. I had a friend install in my convertible as well and we placed the antenna on the trunk as Sirius says too in their instructions for a convertible. I was really excited about it and it worked great until last weekend. We were on our way back from Charleston on Sunday and when we powered it up all it would say is "acquiring signal" , it never acquired the signal. It was cloudy and rainy that day but I thought it has to be more powerful than that, it should get through the clouds just fine. Well Monday morning I tried it and still the same thing "acquiring signal". Then on the way to work my car dies and has to be towed (nothing to do with the radio though)! I had to have it towed. But anyway, when I got the car back today, all I got on the radio was the Sirius splash screen and nothing else. Now I'm thinking something has got to be wrong with this radio. When I get home I hook it up to the bike and the same darn thing. I called Sirius and they said they have seen this before where the unit will loose is EIN to the satellite and there's no way to get it back, they have to send me a new radio. Now, I've only had this unit up and running for 1 month! They are sending me a new unit and I'll send the old one back. I guess the EIN is basically it's identification with the satellites, once it's gone there's no going back. My luck they will send me a refurbished one.

I do love the service because our stations around here just suck and it is great on the bike and pretty much works everywhere.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2007, 08:46:35 PM »

XM has Bluesville....Sirius does not.  Sirius has Howard Stern....XM does not.

The new BMW came with Sirius however, we took it down a week later and had XM installed.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2007, 08:48:43 PM »

XM has Bluesville....Sirius does not.  Sirius has Howard Stern....XM does not.

The new BMW came with Sirius however, we took it down a week later and had XM installed.

XM has the Led Zeppelin Channel and Deep Tracks! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

REGGAB

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2007, 09:27:07 PM »

Hoist! 8)

Sirius has Classic Vinyl!   :2vrolijk_21: 

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2007, 09:29:35 PM »

Sirius has Classic Vinyl!   :2vrolijk_21: 
Thought there was a XM/Sirius merger on the horizon?  :confused5:

REGGAB

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2007, 09:42:41 PM »

Thought there was a XM/Sirius merger on the horizon?  :confused5:

Yeah....so did I.  That'd be great if it ever happens.  Even the ZUMO has XM.  I'm really wantin' some Sirius Channel 14 on the Bagger.  Sure as I install it......they'll merge.  I ain't gonna be the guinea pig this time.   ;D

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2007, 09:14:26 AM »

there was supposed to be stock holder meetings of both companies this month

http://investor.sirius.com/downloads/BNY37192BNY058_BITS_N_1106.pdf

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2007, 09:17:02 AM »

Both companies have had their stock holders votes and it's now up to the Fed. regulators.  They should vote any day now.  Hopefully they'll approve the merger and we can 'pick and choose' which channels we want. :huepfenjump3:  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2007, 09:42:31 AM »

don't expect merged programming.  They have long term contracts with their providers that they are required to upheld.  Some of the providers are competitors with each other who would fight a programming merger (Opie & Anthony vs Howard Stern eg).  All a merger between XM and Sirius means is less competition between then and more shareholder value.  I don't see any benefit to the consumer unless they share technology (handheld devices eg)
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2007, 09:59:08 AM »

Hoist! 8)

Didn't know that.  What number is the Led Zeppelin Channel?
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2007, 10:09:03 AM »

Didn't know that.  What number is the Led Zeppelin Channel?

Ch 59. ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2007, 10:10:53 AM »

59!!

they added that when Zeppelin announced their reunion concert.

Free

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2007, 10:11:48 AM »

don't expect merged programming.  They have long term contracts with their providers that they are required to upheld.  Some of the providers are competitors with each other who would fight a programming merger (Opie & Anthony vs Howard Stern eg).  All a merger between XM and Sirius means is less competition between then and more shareholder value.  I don't see any benefit to the consumer unless they share technology (handheld devices eg)
Actually, it's my understanding that they've already promised to offer a reduced cost by offering a la carte programming if the merger is approved.  You could just pick and choose which programs you want from the combined lineup.  spyder

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2007, 10:18:41 AM »

Actually, it's my understanding that they've already promised to offer a reduced cost by offering a la carte programming if the merger is approved.  You could just pick and choose which programs you want from the combined lineup.  spyder

I hope you're right!  I worked for a very large company that was BIG in mergers and acquisitions and it seemed that the customers always came out on the short end.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2007, 04:22:34 PM »

XM has the Led Zeppelin Channel

I can't belive I didn't know that  :nixweiss:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

BADBUD

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Lucy, 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: Lilly, 1962 Triumph Bonneville
    • Screw with me and you screw with the WHOLE trailer park
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2007, 07:22:19 PM »

I have both, Sirius on Dish Network and XM in the truck and work. IMHO I prefer XM. I am a county boy don't like old or new Rock. XM Channel 12 XCountry is great alternative country,
Texas music. Channel 13 Willie's Place, old country. Channel 14 Bluegrass Junction. And another plus is that you can listen to Fox News 24/7. ;D ;D ;D Yep sir, no spin.
BADBUD
I hate drunks when I'm sober----------
and sobers when I'm drunk.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2007, 08:01:17 PM »

I have both, Sirius on Dish Network and XM in the truck and work. IMHO I prefer XM. I am a county boy don't like old or new Rock. XM Channel 12 XCountry is great alternative country,
Texas music. Channel 13 Willie's Place, old country. Channel 14 Bluegrass Junction. And another plus is that you can listen to Fox News 24/7. ;D ;D ;D Yep sir, no spin.
BADBUD
???  har! :drink: spyder

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2007, 08:39:41 AM »

Thanks Don.......

So what did you go with Don?  By the poll, looks like XM is the favored.  You've saw mine.....hardwired on the bike with the antenna mounted in the fairing.....Jim did it.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2007, 08:31:08 AM »

Sure hope the NFL coverage remains.  I have Sirius for that reason alone.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2007, 10:26:20 AM »

Sirius has Sinatra for us old folks. Actually with my commute everyday I like to listen to Fox News and CNN and Sinatra just before getting to work to calm down again. Blue Collar Radio is a hoot also. Get ER Done Sirius. :2vrolijk_21:  Doc

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2007, 10:33:35 AM »

Does Sirius have  a 'blues' channel like XM?  3 jazz, 1 blues, a 'blue-grass', and Willie's country, a 50's doo-wop, and the led zep channel and I'm a happy rider regardless of the mood.  8) har!  :drink: spyder

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2007, 11:23:25 AM »

...channel 74 has the Blues. Doc

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2007, 12:01:23 PM »

I called XM when I bought the bike to ask if they would let me listen for a 30 day trail to sample before I signed up... I bought the bike used.

I found the US guys to be very polite and helpfull, but because I'm in the great white north, the transfered me to XM Canada.

The Canadian XM reps are jerks... everyone I spoke to was rude.

Still considering it though... is it really worth it, and anyone know if you can you suspend the subsription for the winter months?

If you have an XM eqiupted raidio, can your sign up for Sirius instead?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 12:05:44 PM by murphy »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2007, 12:55:12 PM »

I called XM when I bought the bike to ask if they would let me listen for a 30 day trail to sample before I signed up... I bought the bike used.

I found the US guys to be very polite and helpfull, but because I'm in the great white north, the transfered me to XM Canada.

The Canadian XM reps are jerks... everyone I spoke to was rude.

Still considering it though... is it really worth it, and anyone know if you can you suspend the subsription for the winter months?

If you have an XM eqiupted raidio, can your sign up for Sirius instead?
Hey Murphy, I'm a new subscriber, but to me, it's worth it.  I also like the internet XM that comes with the subscription......it's great having it on the computer while you're messing around here.  8) har!  :drink: spyder

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2007, 03:14:39 PM »

So what did you go with Don?  By the poll, looks like XM is the favored.  You've saw mine.....hardwired on the bike with the antenna mounted in the fairing.....Jim did it.

JC,

I still have the same problem, I did put Sirius in my work truck because of the Football, But I sold the H2 and the motorhome, and my new SUV now has XM. So I'm right back where I was???

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2007, 04:51:09 PM »

JC,

I still have the same problem, I did put Sirius in my work truck because of the Football, But I sold the H2 and the motorhome, and my new SUV now has XM. So I'm right back where I was???

Man, you've been busy with the vehicles lately.  I sold my F-350 dually recently, too.  But then we went and bought a new BMW. :nixweiss:

By the way, let's get together one of these weekends.  Terrie and I keept talking about riding down to visit you and Suzane.

West Coast GTG   

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2007, 11:32:02 PM »

Man, you've been busy with the vehicles lately.  I sold my F-350 dually recently, too.  But then we went and bought a new BMW. :nixweiss:

By the way, let's get together one of these weekends.  Terrie and I keept talking about riding down to visit you and Suzane.

What are you using to haul your boat with? And Yes do we'd love to see you too!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2007, 06:10:16 AM »

What are you using to haul your boat with? And Yes do we'd love to see you too!

I sold the boat last summer.  I seem to run through the boats a little quicker, but think I'm about done with them.  I like to play on them, just don't like all the work that goes with the territory. :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2007, 01:03:28 PM »

Just a FYI for all the Canucks out there, the XM/Sirrius merger WILL NOT go ahead in the great white north. The CRTC is not going to allow it as that would give XM a monopoly.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 01:05:46 PM by Bungy »
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2007, 01:17:22 PM »

well how does that work.... if they merge

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2007, 01:05:53 AM »

Sorry Neal - missed your post. I don't know the details but I guess XM will have to maintain Sirius as a completely seperate arms length company.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2007, 10:27:33 AM »

Does Sirius have  a 'blues' channel like XM?  3 jazz, 1 blues, a 'blue-grass', and Willie's country, a 50's doo-wop, and the led zep channel and I'm a happy rider regardless of the mood.  8) har!  :drink: spyder

Blues turned out to be one click below Sinatra, and now you have me hooked... :'(  Doc

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2007, 11:02:36 AM »

Blues turned out to be one click below Sinatra, and now you have me hooked... :'(  Doc

On the blues or Sinatra? :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2007, 04:30:50 PM »

On the blues or Sinatra? :huepfenlol2:

...blues Doc

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2008, 12:42:18 PM »

Here it is - looks like the merger is going to happen after all.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23781933/

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »

Or maybe not, it's up to the FCC now.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2008, 01:15:03 PM »

I doubt one will disagree with the other (Justice Dept vs FCC).  I wonder what the programming outcome will be.  :vrolijk_11:

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2008, 01:25:01 PM »

Interesting poll.

I have to wonder if it is driven by what we have on the bikes though.

In years past we have had the option for both on some of our cars, inevitably the Sirius takers were a higher number than XM.

It's a mute point now.  Hopefully they will be able to look at the listeners numbers by channel and take the top channel for a particular genre; ie best blues channel of the two etc.

Only time will tell how well the merger works, but for me I think having one supplier will be best in the long run for the survival of satellite radio.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2008, 03:47:05 PM »

My understand on how the merger will work is that they will still maintain two different radio setups for the two different satellites.  However, they will consolodate all the programming so that both satellites will have the same channels.  The channels that were redundant, i.e., 50s,60s,70s music, ESPN, CNN, FoxNews, etc., will be reduced to one...then they will take the best (read most popular) of the channels that were distinctive to either XM or Sirius, i.e, Howard Stern on Sirius, MLB on XM, and put that programming on both satellites, so no matter which radio service you used to have, the channels will be the same on an old Sirius only radio as they are on an old XM only radio.  Eventually, the new radios will pick up both satellites and then they'll be able to expand their programming even more.  I also heard that if the merger was approved, that they would consider "ala-carte" programming, where, like cable, you pick your level and price of programming.

2012 FLHXSE3

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2008, 08:32:47 PM »

They had a brief bit on the news this morning, saying that satellite radio customers will have to buy a new radio if they want to listen to both XM and Cirrus as the two have seperate systems, now.

West Coast GTG   

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2008, 09:06:05 AM »

They had a brief bit on the news this morning, saying that satellite radio customers will have to buy a new radio if they want to listen to both XM and Cirrus as the two have seperate systems, now.

So my Garmin Zumo with XM will not be capable of receiving Sirius channels??    :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2008, 09:50:22 AM »

I read an internet article last week that stated after merger, consolidation of programing was going to take place and they planned to lunch additional mobile IP video services with the additional bandwidth. The article didn't say how many video channels would be available but suggested programing  such as CNN news, ESPN, Wheather Ch etc... I didn't use the XM option on my 08 Ultra because I'm a Nascar nut so went with Sirius. If this merger thing really happens and they do this Video thing, I would jump on that bandwagon, providing that launched a video channel carrying the Nascar races. That would be SWEAT.........

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2008, 05:11:38 PM »

So my Garmin Zumo with XM will not be capable of receiving Sirius channels??    :nixweiss:
Sadunbar,
See my earlier entry...after they get the merger done and the programming changes...you should get combined programming on your old "XM" radio.

2012 FLHXSE3

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2008, 09:50:05 PM »

According to the news article that was on TV the other night, they'll both still be ran as two seperate business.....the way they are now.  However, there will be the option of receiving both XM and Cirrus however, we'll need to buy a new radio that is able to receive both systems.  They said the chipset that XM has is worlds apart from the chipset that Cirrus has.  So a current XM will continue to only get XM and vica versa.

That sucks........does that mean the Garmin will come out with a new GPS that gets both? :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2008, 09:56:53 PM »

According to the news article that was on TV the other night, they'll both still be ran as two seperate business.....the way they are now.  However, there will be the option of receiving both XM and Cirrus however, we'll need to buy a new radio that is able to receive both systems.  They said the chipset that XM has is worlds apart from the chipset that Cirrus has.  So a current XM will continue to only get XM and vica versa.

That sucks........does that mean the Garmin will come out with a new GPS that gets both? :nixweiss:
Not sure if you'd want that... The GXM-30 is the receiver for the XM radio now and people complain about it being as big as a hockey puck. Can't imagine what the size would be if there were two receivers in there. :shocked2: :nervous:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2008, 10:11:40 PM »

Not sure if you'd want that... The GXM-30 is the receiver for the XM radio now and people complain about it being as big as a hockey puck. Can't imagine what the size would be if there were two receivers in there. :shocked2: :nervous:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
I would think that the antenna part is what makes it HUGH, not the actual 'receiver'.......might not have to be any larger to pick up additional sat. signal ????   We might be premature in even worrying about this as it's not a done deal just because the Justice Dept ok'ed it.  Still got people that don't want them to merge and are throwing up legal obstacles.  I'm happy with the XM channels as they are for what it costs.......just wish I hadn't waited so long to add it.  ??? har!  8) spyder

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2008, 02:06:51 AM »

Yea, me to Spyder.  But because I'm sicker than some, I'd like to get Howard Stern, too.  But I don't know if his radio would be near as interesting as his TV. 

As for my XM....it's part of the Garmin 2730 and it's not any bigger than other GPS units and smaller than a few.  But the antenna is huge.  It's been in the fairing since I've had it, so I don't have to look at it.

West Coast GTG   

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2008, 08:18:59 AM »

Yea, me to Spyder.  But because I'm sicker than some, I'd like to get Howard Stern, too.  But I don't know if his radio would be near as interesting as his TV. 

As for my XM....it's part of the Garmin 2730 and it's not any bigger than other GPS units and smaller than a few.  But the antenna is huge.  It's been in the fairing since I've had it, so I don't have to look at it.
Yep, mine is hidden in the fairing also now, and it works well up there so far.  Downside is that it's not able to be moved to the truck/car.  :( spyder

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2008, 12:31:20 PM »

Yep, mine is hidden in the fairing also now, and it works well up there so far.  Downside is that it's not able to be moved to the truck/car.  :( spyder

Yea, and don't make the mistake that I made.  I thought "I'll just get another antenna then I can use the XM in all the vehicles, the same as the GPS.  Not so.  With the GPS, the antenna is the item that holds the "radio ID".  So when XM asks for the radio ID, it's the number that's on the antenna.  In other words, I had to register the antenna (although they kept telling me that's a radio ID number and not an antenna number) at an additional monthly service fee. 

West Coast GTG   

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2008, 12:57:49 PM »

Not to worry guys...according to the updates I receive from Sirius and XM, (I subscribe to both, my car and bike with XM and my truck with Sirius), is that once/if the merger is approved, they will eliminate redundant programming between the two companies, even if they remain separate, and combine the programming on the two separate satellite systems, so if you like Howard Stern, which I listen to when in the truck, that programming will be put up on the XM satellite also, so you will receive him on an "XM-only" radio.  If you like listening to MLB on XM, you'll be able to get it on the Sirius radio too. These exact questions have been addressed by Sirius and XM already and they have plans in place so that we'll all be able to enjoy a combination of both programming on the radios we already have.  Eventually, they will come out with receivers that will receive both satellites, which really doesn't require that much more space to do.  The receiver/antenna package shouldn't increase in size at all.   Go to their websites to get the latest.

2012 FLHXSE3

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2008, 05:28:23 PM »

I have XM at my office, and 08 SEUC. I have the Sirius in my Jeep Commander.
I listen to the XM all day, maybe that is why I like Sirius programming better.
I VOTE SIRIUS!
Sawyer Ghost

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Life is too short to drink out-of-date beer"
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2008, 02:58:43 PM »

I don't believe the comment about the ID being in the antenna!
Unapologetically American!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2008, 10:55:56 PM »

why not?  :nixweiss: spyder

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2008, 09:11:56 AM »

Believe it.......I found that one out the hard way.  I have the XM antenna hard wired on my SEEG and thought it was just a matter of buying anther antenna to use the same XM/GPS in my truck or car.  The GPS works but the XM didn't so I called XM.  They kept telling me that they sent a signal and that if it's installed correctly, that I should be receiving the signal. (I had explained that it was the same radio and that it was just a new antenna).  She told me that the radio was receiving the signal and that there must be somethig wrong with my radio. 

So we switched it back to the bike and it worked fine.  Two hours into this, Terrie suggests that I give them the number off of the back of the antenna and wah-lahhhh it now works in the truck.  I told the lady "that's not a radio ID number, that's an antenna ID number".  She said "no, that's a radio ID number......as far as I know, the antennas are not numbered".  But we learned through experience, that they are. 

I don't want to pay for a third radio so I have an antenna for sale if somebody needs one.  Used just for a couple of minutes.

Believe it or not, that's my experience..........

West Coast GTG   

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2008, 09:19:18 AM »

That's how the Zumo works too. The XM antenna is also the receiver. The Radio ID is on the back of the antenna/receiver. It's magnetically mounted to a handlebar mount and can be removed with the Zumo for use elsewhere. ;)

Hoist! 8)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2008, 10:16:20 AM »

That's how the Zumo works too. The XM antenna is also the receiver. The Radio ID is on the back of the antenna/receiver. It's magnetically mounted to a handlebar mount and can be removed with the Zumo for use elsewhere. ;)

Hoist! 8)
Not anymore (on my Huckleberry).  Couldn't stand how fugly that thing was up there where I had to look at it all the time.  It's now under the fairing (works great, but I can't use the XM in my truck).  :P har!  spyder

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2008, 10:39:16 AM »

Not anymore (on my Huckleberry).  Couldn't stand how fugly that thing was up there where I had to look at it all the time.  It's now under the fairing (works great, but I can't use the XM in my truck).  :P har!  spyder

Same situation here, Spyder.  We share that in common.  Hey, but at least we got the "look good" back on the bike gettin rid of that huge azz ugly antenna, huh. :nixweiss:

By the way,for whatever it's worth, this XM antenna, up inside my fairing, gets much better reception than it does in the BMW or in my truck.  I thought that was odd. :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2008, 04:04:05 PM »

sirius is not in the antenna. i replace my sirius antenna for $8 with no issuses. its in the module

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2008, 04:07:43 PM »

I think they're probably available both ways, depending on the type of receiver you have. In the house, my XM is built into my A/V Receiver, and I use a cheapo XM antenna in my window for it. The S/N comes off of the receiver. On the Zumo, the receiver and antenna are 1 module, and the S/N comes from that module, not the Zumo. ;)

Hoist! 8)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2008, 07:01:55 PM »

I think they're probably available both ways, depending on the type of receiver you have. In the house, my XM is built into my A/V Receiver, and I use a cheapo XM antenna in my window for it. The S/N comes off of the receiver. On the Zumo, the receiver and antenna are 1 module, and the S/N comes from that module, not the Zumo. ;)

Hoist! 8)
Yep, unfortunately for us Zumo fans, the Zumo doesn't have XM, only XM 'compatable IF you buy the compatable radio/receiver that's in the antenna.  aaaargh.  >:( spyder

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2008, 10:01:53 AM »

Whats going on with this XM and Sirus merge??? That is spouse to give us the best of both worlds.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 21 queries.