Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: XM Vs. Sirius  (Read 14643 times)

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
Re: XM Vs. Sirius
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »

Or maybe not, it's up to the FCC now.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2008, 01:15:03 PM »

I doubt one will disagree with the other (Justice Dept vs FCC).  I wonder what the programming outcome will be.  :vrolijk_11:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2008, 01:25:01 PM »

Interesting poll.

I have to wonder if it is driven by what we have on the bikes though.

In years past we have had the option for both on some of our cars, inevitably the Sirius takers were a higher number than XM.

It's a mute point now.  Hopefully they will be able to look at the listeners numbers by channel and take the top channel for a particular genre; ie best blues channel of the two etc.

Only time will tell how well the merger works, but for me I think having one supplier will be best in the long run for the survival of satellite radio.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2008, 03:47:05 PM »

My understand on how the merger will work is that they will still maintain two different radio setups for the two different satellites.  However, they will consolodate all the programming so that both satellites will have the same channels.  The channels that were redundant, i.e., 50s,60s,70s music, ESPN, CNN, FoxNews, etc., will be reduced to one...then they will take the best (read most popular) of the channels that were distinctive to either XM or Sirius, i.e, Howard Stern on Sirius, MLB on XM, and put that programming on both satellites, so no matter which radio service you used to have, the channels will be the same on an old Sirius only radio as they are on an old XM only radio.  Eventually, the new radios will pick up both satellites and then they'll be able to expand their programming even more.  I also heard that if the merger was approved, that they would consider "ala-carte" programming, where, like cable, you pick your level and price of programming.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2008, 08:32:47 PM »

They had a brief bit on the news this morning, saying that satellite radio customers will have to buy a new radio if they want to listen to both XM and Cirrus as the two have seperate systems, now.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2008, 09:06:05 AM »

They had a brief bit on the news this morning, saying that satellite radio customers will have to buy a new radio if they want to listen to both XM and Cirrus as the two have seperate systems, now.

So my Garmin Zumo with XM will not be capable of receiving Sirius channels??    :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2008, 09:50:22 AM »

I read an internet article last week that stated after merger, consolidation of programing was going to take place and they planned to lunch additional mobile IP video services with the additional bandwidth. The article didn't say how many video channels would be available but suggested programing  such as CNN news, ESPN, Wheather Ch etc... I didn't use the XM option on my 08 Ultra because I'm a Nascar nut so went with Sirius. If this merger thing really happens and they do this Video thing, I would jump on that bandwagon, providing that launched a video channel carrying the Nascar races. That would be SWEAT.........

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2008, 05:11:38 PM »

So my Garmin Zumo with XM will not be capable of receiving Sirius channels??    :nixweiss:
Sadunbar,
See my earlier entry...after they get the merger done and the programming changes...you should get combined programming on your old "XM" radio.

2012 FLHXSE3

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2008, 09:50:05 PM »

According to the news article that was on TV the other night, they'll both still be ran as two seperate business.....the way they are now.  However, there will be the option of receiving both XM and Cirrus however, we'll need to buy a new radio that is able to receive both systems.  They said the chipset that XM has is worlds apart from the chipset that Cirrus has.  So a current XM will continue to only get XM and vica versa.

That sucks........does that mean the Garmin will come out with a new GPS that gets both? :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2008, 09:56:53 PM »

According to the news article that was on TV the other night, they'll both still be ran as two seperate business.....the way they are now.  However, there will be the option of receiving both XM and Cirrus however, we'll need to buy a new radio that is able to receive both systems.  They said the chipset that XM has is worlds apart from the chipset that Cirrus has.  So a current XM will continue to only get XM and vica versa.

That sucks........does that mean the Garmin will come out with a new GPS that gets both? :nixweiss:
Not sure if you'd want that... The GXM-30 is the receiver for the XM radio now and people complain about it being as big as a hockey puck. Can't imagine what the size would be if there were two receivers in there. :shocked2: :nervous:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2008, 10:11:40 PM »

Not sure if you'd want that... The GXM-30 is the receiver for the XM radio now and people complain about it being as big as a hockey puck. Can't imagine what the size would be if there were two receivers in there. :shocked2: :nervous:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
I would think that the antenna part is what makes it HUGH, not the actual 'receiver'.......might not have to be any larger to pick up additional sat. signal ????   We might be premature in even worrying about this as it's not a done deal just because the Justice Dept ok'ed it.  Still got people that don't want them to merge and are throwing up legal obstacles.  I'm happy with the XM channels as they are for what it costs.......just wish I hadn't waited so long to add it.  ??? har!  8) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2008, 02:06:51 AM »

Yea, me to Spyder.  But because I'm sicker than some, I'd like to get Howard Stern, too.  But I don't know if his radio would be near as interesting as his TV. 

As for my XM....it's part of the Garmin 2730 and it's not any bigger than other GPS units and smaller than a few.  But the antenna is huge.  It's been in the fairing since I've had it, so I don't have to look at it.

West Coast GTG   

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2008, 08:18:59 AM »

Yea, me to Spyder.  But because I'm sicker than some, I'd like to get Howard Stern, too.  But I don't know if his radio would be near as interesting as his TV. 

As for my XM....it's part of the Garmin 2730 and it's not any bigger than other GPS units and smaller than a few.  But the antenna is huge.  It's been in the fairing since I've had it, so I don't have to look at it.
Yep, mine is hidden in the fairing also now, and it works well up there so far.  Downside is that it's not able to be moved to the truck/car.  :( spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2008, 12:31:20 PM »

Yep, mine is hidden in the fairing also now, and it works well up there so far.  Downside is that it's not able to be moved to the truck/car.  :( spyder

Yea, and don't make the mistake that I made.  I thought "I'll just get another antenna then I can use the XM in all the vehicles, the same as the GPS.  Not so.  With the GPS, the antenna is the item that holds the "radio ID".  So when XM asks for the radio ID, it's the number that's on the antenna.  In other words, I had to register the antenna (although they kept telling me that's a radio ID number and not an antenna number) at an additional monthly service fee. 

West Coast GTG   

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2008, 12:57:49 PM »

Not to worry guys...according to the updates I receive from Sirius and XM, (I subscribe to both, my car and bike with XM and my truck with Sirius), is that once/if the merger is approved, they will eliminate redundant programming between the two companies, even if they remain separate, and combine the programming on the two separate satellite systems, so if you like Howard Stern, which I listen to when in the truck, that programming will be put up on the XM satellite also, so you will receive him on an "XM-only" radio.  If you like listening to MLB on XM, you'll be able to get it on the Sirius radio too. These exact questions have been addressed by Sirius and XM already and they have plans in place so that we'll all be able to enjoy a combination of both programming on the radios we already have.  Eventually, they will come out with receivers that will receive both satellites, which really doesn't require that much more space to do.  The receiver/antenna package shouldn't increase in size at all.   Go to their websites to get the latest.

2012 FLHXSE3

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.