Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Cam selection  (Read 4212 times)

Big Time

• Junior CVO Member
  • We ride for beer...need a beer for the ride
Cam selection
« on: October 21, 2005, 11:23:07 AM »

I just bought a 04 SEEG from someone who didn't feel the need to ever wash it. When purchased new, the dealer did some engine mods that went in the wrong direction and were somewhat of a waste in my opinion. No head work, SE260 cams (stock springs yikes!), Forged flat top pistons (still 9:1), roller rockers, forged rocker bases, SE roller lifters, Stage 1 download, Race Fueler, and Rineharts. This thing has a powerband like a 125cc two-stroke!
I need advice, my mind tells me to go with a mild torque cam maybe mill the heads for more comp and add a race tuner. My throttle hand tells me to go for the gusto (heads cams etc.)
What is a good cam for stock heads and stock comp or even 9.5-10.0:1. Also is it possible that the stock springs could have survived 16,000 miles of the 260 cams.
2004 FLHTCSE black and blue
1998 XLHC 1200

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Cam selection
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 11:42:45 AM »

Bigtime, 1st of all welcome to the site! [smiley=cherry.gif]

It sounds like someone did not have a clue of what to do with the bike you purchased. First I would add a power commander or race tuner. Change the cams to either a stock 253 cam or if you the funds go with some head work and a set of gear drive cams. A 103 with stock cams, pipes and AC can run pretty well, both HP and TQ in the 100 range. Others here have suggested a Redshift 557 cam for our 103's as a good replacement for the stock cam.

Best of luck and be sure to keep us all informed on the progress.

And to be sure that your properly initiated, Let see some pics [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=worthless.gif]

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 07:44:43 PM »

Bigtime,

Welcome to the site.

I am going to guess that this is a Pumpkin.   This is an exact list of parts another friend Bryan was telling me about in a pumkin that was for sale.   First you must decide what you want it to do for you.   Pull low end torque pull low end and mid range run a gambit of 2400 - 5500 ... you need to decide this first.   The rest is just combinations to get you there and money.    Are you going to ride 2 up a lot?

Get a Race Tuner or a Power Commander.

Your going to need to have the heads off to check your springs / valves due to a .609 lift having been put on a .550 lift max per harley.

Since your heads are off you can do something simple or something complex depending on your wallet and wants and results of the inspection and tolerances of heads that have been beat badly and hope there is no damage.

I look forward to hearing what your tastes are and happy to point you in the direction based on your answers.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

sqrrl24

• Full CVO Member
  • Lead follow or get out of the way!!!!

• CVO1: 05 seeg yellow
    • CVO2: 04 seeg org/blk
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 12:24:25 PM »

Bigtime,

Welcome to the site.

I am going to guess that this is a Pumpkin.
05 SEEG White Bros 2-1,RT,SE/AC[smiley=banana.gif]
04 SEEG Rineharts Thundermax, Zippers AC  [smiley=pumpkin.gif]
02 FATBOY

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 02:50:56 PM »

Here's the combo in my 04 SEEG....and based on what you already have...

1) If you want to use the pistons in the bike...have the cylinders honed and check for out-of-round...if the shop didn't do this chance are you've got bigger tolerances in the rings than you want...Of course you'll have to fit new rings....

2) CNC Harley heads with .030 Cometic multi-layer gaskets will give you 10:1 with your pistons...the have more than adequate springs and flow close to as good as you'll ever need and the retail is usually less than paying someone to work the heads. Everyone will tell you they get better results if a "head guru" modifies heads...I'm not sold on that.

3) Wood TW6HG cams with gear drive.

4) Port or get a larger throttle body...

5) Your pipes are great with this combo....

6) Brad Yuill at Freedom has a map for this combo for the PowerCommander.

7) My bike was 118hp and 122 TQ

Good Luck!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 03:04:26 PM »

PCC,

I only disagree on one point you made they do not have the necessary lift needed for the cam he has ... the stock heads are only .550 lift and the cam he has is .609 lift.   That is not sufficient nor something you would want to run without fixing the heads to support the cam he has.  This information came directly from Harley and their engineering, because I called them on it to be 100 percent sure on our clearances in the heads.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 09:15:46 PM »

Big time the combo that PCC has sounds OK but I would go in another direction. I would have the heads massaged they will work better when finished (if done right) that the HD CNC heads. If you have a cylinder issue (rings gaps or piston to wall clearence) you will need to go 5 or even 10 over and start from scratch. I would go with a different cam selection and a larger throttle body and to top it off a Thunder Max ECM. I would also look into another exhaust system.

Just my 2 cents.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 12:32:14 AM »

Unbalanced...those CNC heads springs are rated for .620 lift...the cams I'm suggesting are .595...also I'm suggesting he goes with gear drive.

DC...I agree with you man...but these are no fuss no muss and no cc'ing to determine compression. There's no doubt he could see some gains but IMHO they would be small compared to the effort he goes through to find the right guy and then get the work done. Plus there's already a map he could use.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 07:34:18 AM »

Unbalanced...those CNC heads springs are rated for .620 lift...the cams I'm suggesting are .595...also I'm suggesting he goes with gear drive.

PCC the springs on the SE CNC heads are set up to handle 650 lift. Also you talked about maps for a power commander. I would not run a power commander when I had the option to run the thunder max ecm. As far as the heads go I personally have two people that can do the heads and have already done a set or two. Gear drive???? No question the only way to go. Also I would not port the stock throttle body I would go with a 50mm. I prefer the Zippers throttle body but some on here are talking about the new SE throttle body. The Se model does not have a set up for cruise control and I think that is it's only down fall.

Bigtime no which direction you go you will be much happier and you can now build a reliable motor. If you need any help PM me.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 11:48:56 AM »

PCC the springs on the SE CNC heads are set up to handle 650 lift. Also you talked about maps for a power commander. I would not run a power commander when I had the option to run the thunder max ecm. As far as the heads go I personally have two people that can do the heads and have already done a set or two. Gear drive???? No question the only way to go. Also I would not port the stock throttle body I would go with a 50mm. I prefer the Zippers throttle body but some on here are talking about the new SE throttle body. The Se model does not have a set up for cruise control and I think that is it's only down fall.

Bigtime no which direction you go you will be much happier and you can now build a reliable motor. If you need any help PM me.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Don't forget to recommend the Timkens bearings [smiley=ROFLOL.gif]
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 11:49:26 AM by the_ofender »
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 01:57:36 PM »

Don't forget to recommend the Timkens bearings
[smiley=ROFLOL.gif]

If I'm building it I do recommend them.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 02:16:50 PM »

PCC,

Sorry I read it to say to CNC his harley heads not buy new ones which would be the CNC'd SE Harley Head.   If he is going that far why not just buy a set from Zippers, Branch, Sachs, R&R, STD etc of heads already good to go on a swap or direct buy.   just a thought vs getting mediocrity from Harley.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 09:41:36 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Bigtime,
  The first thing I would do is bi*ch slap the idiot that put those components together!  >:( Then, I would scrap all that junk, split the cases, and build me a Zipper's 120 cu. in. from Hell! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  Maybe then, there would be somebody on this Great Site of ours, that could keep up with my ol' "Led Sled!"  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 10:47:16 PM »

....Then, I would scrap all that junk,.....

Hub, you have such a way with words...And I don't think you mean to scrap the Reinharts do you?

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 06:56:09 AM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Bigtime,

2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 10:03:35 AM »

Hub, you have such a way with words...And I don't think you mean to scrap the Reinharts do you?

Yeah, 'er 'uh, hd-dude,
  How well you seem to know me, dude!  You know what I mean, even when I don't say it!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Big Time

• Junior CVO Member
  • We ride for beer...need a beer for the ride
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 11:21:51 AM »

This site rocks! I've collected more info in the last 10 days than I could ever have imagined. Just when I thought that the boys at Wild Fire HD in the Chicago area had screwed up the black beauty beyond all recognition, I took a look at the settings on the Race Fueler that they had installed to compliment the Stage 1 download. The thing was actually set to 0% fuel enrichment on all three pots and the accelerator pump pot!!! Why did they even bother? This thing actually makes only a little over 100 HP and the poor guy who bought it actually spent $3,926.50 (I have the receipt) to get it. And that was on top of the 5 grand the dealer marked the bike up. Hey, at least I only paid $21,000 for it. Anyway this is what I'm thinking for my new engine setup, please give feedbacks.

SE HTCC non-ported heads
Cometic .030 gaskets
Andrews TW55 gear drive cams
SE Race Tuner

Remember I have the forged flat tops so my comp should be a little under 10.0:1.
I'm hoping for 115 ft/lbs somewhere around 4000 rpm and HP around 100.
2004 FLHTCSE black and blue
1998 XLHC 1200
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.