Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Michigan switches to BMW for Cop bikes  (Read 6626 times)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Re: Michigan switches to BMW for Cop bikes
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2014, 10:41:21 PM »

Interesting perception by some on the Beemers. In police cone competition the BMW RT and Honda ST always come in with the lowest times with the RT's doing better in tighter courses. Last year I talked to two CHP before CA. changed over to HD and one had 185K and the other 135 K on their RT's. The maintenance on our RT is about the same as the HD. High costs come with shaft drive failure, frequent in earlier models, and clutch replacement as the cases need to be split. Apparently the dry clutches are quite robust when used correctly though.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2014, 11:58:10 PM »

'Don't know about soul, but I have had many 'religious experiences' growing up on Harleys...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2014, 09:17:32 AM »

In the local police competitions they have a separate category for the HD bikes. 

One of my neighbors is a San Jose PD motor cop. He loved his Harley and held out as long as ha could until it was done. He didn't like the idea of switching out to the Honda ST1300s. Now after riding it for several years, he likes it.  Snappy acceleration and superior handling in tight, low speed riding, he enjoys using it in the city.
But, that said, he would take a Harley back in a second if offered.

I traded a Goldwing for mine 3.5 years ago and don't ever intend to go back. I feel more connected to the road and still still feel like a kid at Christmas every time I get on to ride. Especially a CVO.

My next bike will be a CVO too only because, even given the need to upgrade after spending 40k, it is the best damn bike anywhere. IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.