Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: New Zipper's dual-piston cam tensioners  (Read 24429 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: New Zipper's dual-piston cam tensioners
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2013, 11:56:43 AM »

You should hold the throttle wide open when performing a compression test...

And have a battery charger attached
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2013, 12:15:39 PM »

Interesting change with these. My tensioners are getting replaced soon as I figure out which way to go.
 Anyone else have new style 25K tensioners they have looked at? Mine are wearing unevenly.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=34374.msg1125725#msg1125725
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:20:03 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2013, 08:47:40 AM »

In spite of all the negativity and sarcastic inuendo aimed at this innovative product, now recognized by some of the leaders in the industry, the patented units from Zippers are touted as having the ability to have a more correct contact surface.
Scott

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2013, 10:18:29 AM »

In spite of all the negativity and sarcastic inuendo aimed at this innovative product, now recognized by some of the leaders in the industry, the patented units from Zippers are touted as having the ability to have a more correct contact surface.

I can see where that is possible with 2 pistons compared to 1. Same as 4 piston vs 2 piston calipers, until actually tested, just a "perceived" value.

My question would be - does the Zippers version have twice the pressure applied to the chain since they appear to have about the same size piston and are fed with the same supply.

And since they have only been out for about a year there is no long term real world results.

I'd like to see contact area of the 2 side by side.

Mine are worn and will be changing them either way.

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2013, 10:28:20 AM »

Scott

Still trying very hard to sell a much more expenesive product with a likely higher margin that is marketed to fix a problem that wasn't a big issue before the competitive product's claims were made.  That's the American way.   :2vrolijk_21:

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2013, 12:22:59 PM »

Certainly does garner bandwidth however
I subscribe to the "if it aint broke..." theory as well but in the pursuit of more power and retaining stock or better reliability new products need a shot. S&S gave us a belly full about "accurate valve timing" and " less drag" with gears and how all that would equate to more power. Well in these 6,000 rpm motors it just didn't pan out. The root cause of bad tensioners was addressed however. We are back to chains and power is better than ever when you factor in the loss of the 6sp drivetrain. So will this device add power, I doubt it. Is the pad material superior, probably but is the original material a problem, not from our experience and nothing I have seen chronically reported on the net. So what will these devices actually do for us? This is an objective question. I am neutral and want to know what value is added by the purchase.
Personally I do see one benefit and none of what they advertise. There is tighter clearance between the pistons and the body therefore less oil bleed to the cam chest, thus less oil to scavenge and more supply to the lifters or over bypass. On a similar note and not to hijack the thread the Axtell bypass valve is sure an interesting device. I would like to see them send the bypass oil back to tank maybe through a cooler for the same reason to prevent added scavenge oil and reduce heat.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2013, 12:30:28 PM »

Still trying very hard to sell a much more expenesive product with a likely higher margin that is marketed to fix a problem that wasn't a big issue before the competitive product's claims were made.  That's the American way.   :2vrolijk_21:

Twolane I know we differ on opinions when the topic of ZIPPERS comes up. You have better reason to dislike them. But I am going to do just a LITTLE work to Saphire and I AM GOING to put these Sapphire's cam chest!!!! Along with just a few other little items!!!!!!

OK Harry did you catch that???? I said I AM!!!!!! That means I will be doing all of my own work with the exception of just a LITTLE machine work!!!!! Yes I said just a little!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2013, 02:03:55 PM »

Twolane I know we differ on opinions when the topic of ZIPPERS comes up. You have better reason to dislike them. But I am going to do just a LITTLE work to Saphire and I AM GOING to put these Sapphire's cam chest!!!! Along with just a few other little items!!!!!!

OK Harry did you catch that???? I said I AM!!!!!! That means I will be doing all of my own work with the exception of just a LITTLE machine work!!!!! Yes I said just a little!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Don't equate my amusement with the sales effort to any particular expectation of failure with the part Mike.  I don't see a problem with the part vis-a-vis its basic function.  I don't see enough to justify the price difference; but that's my own relative judgment. 

The hyperbole about performance gains and noticeably better running engines coming from the chain tensioners is still, to me, more smoke than fire.  But that doesn't mean as a chain tensioner they aren't a perfectly satisfactory part.  That being so there's no particular reason not to go with them if one is wanting to do every possible thing they can (the manufacturer notwithstanding). 

Personally I don't see in the cost versus benefit analysis enough to justify paying such a premium over the stock part.  The stock part hasn't been doing a bad job.  And these are new enough we have no idea what their wear pattern or duration will be over time. 

The (albeit normal) hyperbolic advertising claims are amusing.  The sales claims from the shops to sell the more expensive and higher margin part are amusing as well.  Though not unexpected.  It really is just part of doing business (at least here in this market; though across the larger markets as well).  I still remember magnets for fuel lines and finned widgets for air cleaners and myriad other gadgets on gas station shelves in the 60s and 70s.  Claims are easy.

In this case the part is actually (probably) a perfectly satisfactory part.  There won't be issues with its use.  I just don't see the likelihood that its benefits over the stock part (minimal or more) justify the price premium.  Hell, I look for reasons to find alternatives to MoCo branded parts.  But not at the expense of a keystone markup or more for the privilege.  For Willie's sake, this is HD pricing we're taking about pricing at a premium over :huepfenlol2: .

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2013, 02:35:05 PM »

So . who is wiling to sell the tensioners at less then $160  :nixweiss:

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2013, 02:46:33 PM »

So . who is wiling to sell the tensioners at less then $160  :nixweiss:

Just checked and didn't find the part in Drag.  So no discount from those who discount using Drag #s.  Guess that leaves us with the (few) vendors leading the charge to bring to us their happy customers the benefit of this great new part at a discount matching what so many other vendors feel we deserve...  ::)

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2013, 02:48:40 PM »

Seems to me you (the master of all) spent a lot of money on unproven tuners in the past....in fact I think you bought all the snake oil in tuners...lol...lol...lol...lol....DUH...!!!!!
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2013, 02:59:08 PM »

Seems to me you (the master of all) spent a lot of money on unproven tuners in the past....in fact I think you bought all the snake oil in tuners...lol...lol...lol...lol....DUH...!!!!!

No, not so much.  

Used Power Commander for many years when there was a talented Power Commander tuner close by.  Made sense.  Certainly more sense than driving across country to get a tune using a more expensive device when the option was in my backyard.

After he retired used a Thundermax when next needed a product.  That was before TTS was on the street.

After that tried the EMS product.  That was an experiment on a new and unknown product.  But one on which all available due diligence had been done and the research had proved promising (with the icing on the cake being it worked very very well).

So.... rather than following advertising hyperbole or following the preachings of the presumed literati I've actually followed generally logical approaches, made as much sense as possible, spent as little money as made sense, avoided vendors that are as likely to dis their customers as thank them; and rode on to enjoy my days.

So, as has happened before, you've got me wrong.  That's ok; it's not unexpected.  Have seen all the other products (most several times) as the riding buddies around here enjoy my little beer fridge, my lift and we enjoy each others respectful company as I gladly help them with their own stuff or let them use the lift as they play.  It's all good.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2013, 04:14:09 PM »

No, not so much.  

Used Power Commander for many years when there was a talented Power Commander tuner close by.  Made sense.  Certainly more sense than driving across country to get a tune using a more expensive device when the option was in my backyard.

After he retired used a Thundermax when next needed a product.  That was before TTS was on the street.

After that tried the EMS product.  That was an experiment on a new and unknown product.  But one on which all available due diligence had been done and the research had proved promising (with the icing on the cake being it worked very very well).

So.... rather than following advertising hyperbole or following the preachings of the presumed literati I've actually followed generally logical approaches, made as much sense as possible, spent as little money as made sense, avoided vendors that are as likely to dis their customers as thank them; and rode on to enjoy my days.

So, as has happened before, you've got me wrong.  That's ok; it's not unexpected.  Have seen all the other products (most several times) as the riding buddies around here enjoy my little beer fridge, my lift and we enjoy each others respectful company as I gladly help them with their own stuff or let them use the lift as they play.  It's all good.

Actually I think at our age that is what this Motorcycle thing is all about!!! AHHHH the bike lift and a fridge full of ICE COLD BEER!!!!

Don I am going to try them. My bike will no longer be a stocker and I always have a little worries about some of the MOCO parts in my motor. I guess time will tell.

Duane I have a friend that is a Zippers authorized dealer. I'm going to call him tomorrow. I will ask him about a discount if we order more than one!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG 
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2013, 04:15:49 PM »

Duane I have a friend that is a Zippers authorized dealer. I'm going to call him tomorrow. I will ask him about a discount if we order more than one!!!

Mike, either way I am replacing mine, they are worn enough to warrant it. Let me know.

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2013, 04:40:26 PM »

Actually I think at our age that is what this Motorcycle thing is all about!!! AHHHH the bike lift and a fridge full of ICE COLD BEER!!!!

Amen to that Michael.  A few good friends, a few cold beers, a comfortable lift and the friendly lies and stories that accompany all that.  You can't get that dealing with shops and dealerships.  Have to play at home where every word is trusted (even if it's wrong!).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.558 seconds with 22 queries.