Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Has anyone put air ride on their CVO?  (Read 6823 times)

TXCobra

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

Has anyone put air ride on their CVO?
« on: February 14, 2016, 09:19:25 PM »

Was thinking about doing this to my bike.  Not sure if it would give me the results I am looking for though.  I would like to have the bike low and ride better when I am solo but be able to raise it slightly for a rider if needed.  Any thoughts on this?  Could I get away with rear only to accomplish this?  Which kit is best?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:44:21 PM by TXCobra »
2015 CVO Street Glide
Carbon Crystal / Phantom Flames

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Re: Has anyone put air ride on their CVO?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 03:28:31 AM »

I wouldn't do it. I had Moholland Interpart Air/Spring, BTW Mfg Smooth Ride and Progressive 416 Air Shocks. They  All Leak eventually. You would be lucky to not have a problem within three months. If you go with a small compressor that is expensive and takes up a bit of space. I would talk to your friends about it 1st.
Do your Homework on the Internet. Don't believe the Salesman they only want your Money.

heath28

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 06:26:20 AM »

I've had the DIY air ride on my 09 cvo for a couple years now. No problems at all. But be aware that most air ride kits aren't made to ride at reduced height. I do like the ability to stiffen the shocks up a bit when my wife decides to come along....

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 08:16:01 AM »

I had a store bought air system on my '07 Ultra, if I ever do another air ride it will be DIY with Monroe shocks!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

senorjeem

• Starting Out
  • Full CVO Member
  • I SURVIVED THE MAYAN END OF DAYS!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 11:24:29 AM »

I have air ride on my nanner, and I believe that while it has some benefits, that you lose some ride comfort.  I think that you lose the dampening effect of a coil over shock system and that the air bags make it more like riding an inflatable rubber ball.  It is nice to be able to change the pressure on the fly with my onboard compressor, however I think the only reason that I normally have to do that is due to leakage. ( I rarely ride 2 up )  It is a real nice plus for trailering though, since I have made blocks 2 feet long and 3 layers thick of 2X6 and I set that under my bike and let the air out, she sits solidly on the blocks.  Tie her down on the corners and trailer away with never a worry.  One thing though, I should have replaced the air temperature gage a long time ago for an air pressure gage that would read the pressure in my shocks....just never got motivated enough

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 06:04:31 PM »

Homemade front and rear air. Viair 380 on board compressor, 2 20 ounce storage tanks, CVO saddlebag lock switches that operate the front and rear, individual front and rear pressure gauges, set up so if there is total air loss the bike still rolls. Not a single component inside of the bags (No loss of space).

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 06:10:19 PM by Puzzled »
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 06:07:15 PM »

I wouldn't do it. I had Moholland Interpart Air/Spring, BTW Mfg Smooth Ride and Progressive 416 Air Shocks. They  All Leak eventually. You would be lucky to not have a problem within three months. If you go with a small compressor that is expensive and takes up a bit of space. I would talk to your friends about it 1st.
Do your Homework on the Internet. Don't believe the Salesman they only want your Money.

Under $100 and fits in front of the battery. Can also be mounted between the bag and rear tire on either side of the bike.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 06:08:46 PM »

I've had the DIY air ride on my 09 cvo for a couple years now. No problems at all. But be aware that most air ride kits aren't made to ride at reduced height. I do like the ability to stiffen the shocks up a bit when my wife decides to come along....

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I do the same thing, add air when the load capacity increases. Out on the open highway I'll dump some air and soften the ride some.
2023 CVO Road Glide

heath28

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 06:10:31 PM »

I do the same thing, add air when the load capacity increases. Out on the open highway I'll dump some air and soften the ride some.
Yep same thing here.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 07:02:37 PM »

Jon (Jonga on this forum) is only about 5' tall.  He's had Legend air rides on his last few bikes (CVO Ultra Classic currently).  He lowers it a tad bit when he's coming to a stop but not completly or the tire will rub.  He gets on it, raises it a bit, then as soon as he gets rollin raises it all the way for more comfort.  However, he does admit that at it's most comfortable spot, it's not as comfortable as stock shocks.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 07:53:15 PM »

Jon (Jonga on this forum) is only about 5' tall.  He's had Legend air rides on his last few bikes (CVO Ultra Classic currently).  He lowers it a tad bit when he's coming to a stop but not completly or the tire will rub.  He gets on it, raises it a bit, then as soon as he gets rollin raises it all the way for more comfort.  However, he does admit that at it's most comfortable spot, it's not as comfortable as stock shocks.
Yes, the short factor. Not that I would know haha. I have the Legends on my bike as well. The problem with the Legends is the compressor runs VERY SLOW. Which is a problem if you dump the air at say a stop light because when you take off it's kind of like riding a hardtail until it slowly pumps up. The homemade air ride system is nice IF you have longer legs since it pumps up to 14" and there lies the problem for us short guys because we won't be able to touch the ground and would fall over like the guy on Laugh In. So I have purchased a bigger compressor as well as a pressure gauge that will once I figure out the presets for each occasion such as Just me, two up or two up and the trailer I will be able to just set it and go. Just guessing each time doesn't work to good. If you want it to be more instant up and down you need to add the small air holding tank which works fine if you have the extended bags it can hide up under one. But I don't have those so I just don't know where I would hide one. As far as the leak down, mine does eventually so I just got in the habit of dumping the air when I park especially at the Hotel so the alarm doesn't go off in the middle of the night when the last of the air leaks out. And by the way I'm telling Jonga you think he is only 5' JC. :huepfenlol2: Just kidding I know you two are long time friends.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 10:04:41 PM »

Rooster you are close.... a bigger compressor is not needed. I have bikes with small compressors that work great. You are correct that a air tank is needed. The days of hiding them under or in the bag are long gone. I'll post a pic of a tank on a 13 that mounts between the bag and wheel. The kit runs around $250 and is worth every penny. At a push of a button the bike air's up all the way within a second or two.

The kit comes with the tank and all the needed valves and pressure switch. I have one here for the 07 and down bikes that I'm installing this week. I recommend this kit for anyone with air ride. No more waiting for the bike to air up after start up.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:06:51 PM by Puzzled »
2023 CVO Road Glide

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 10:43:40 PM »

Yes, the short factor. Not that I would know haha. I have the Legends on my bike as well. The problem with the Legends is the compressor runs VERY SLOW. Which is a problem if you dump the air at say a stop light because when you take off it's kind of like riding a hardtail until it slowly pumps up. The homemade air ride system is nice IF you have longer legs since it pumps up to 14" and there lies the problem for us short guys because we won't be able to touch the ground and would fall over like the guy on Laugh In. So I have purchased a bigger compressor as well as a pressure gauge that will once I figure out the presets for each occasion such as Just me, two up or two up and the trailer I will be able to just set it and go. Just guessing each time doesn't work to good. If you want it to be more instant up and down you need to add the small air holding tank which works fine if you have the extended bags it can hide up under one. But I don't have those so I just don't know where I would hide one. As far as the leak down, mine does eventually so I just got in the habit of dumping the air when I park especially at the Hotel so the alarm doesn't go off in the middle of the night when the last of the air leaks out. And by the way I'm telling Jonga you think he is only 5' JC. :huepfenlol2: Just kidding I know you two are long time friends.

Terry I've rode with you all up and down the west and I've never noticed you have any problems....at least not anything that was obvious.  But then I did forget that you also had the Legend air ride.  :nixweiss:  Gettin old ain't for sissies.  :P

By the way, Jon knows he's only 5' tall that's why he wears those boots with platform soles.  :huepfenlol2:  Yep, Jon and I have known each other for a few days.  I'm 65 and I've known him since we were kids working together for his father.  :nervous:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:46:52 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

TXCobra

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 11:34:47 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback guys.  Doesn't sound like this is the ticket for me.  I thought that somehow air ride would allow for significantly lower ride height AND comfort.  But also allow me to raise it for a rider.  Oh well. 
2015 CVO Street Glide
Carbon Crystal / Phantom Flames

twistedcherokee

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 11:34:16 AM »

Puzzeled, whos tank is that? I have seen them before but can not find them online.

Toby
1999 Ultra Classic  95 CI, 2005 SG wheels, Fullsac TD

twistedcherokee

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 03:37:04 PM »

Never mind, I think I found it. Dirtyworks I believe.

Toby
1999 Ultra Classic  95 CI, 2005 SG wheels, Fullsac TD
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 20 queries.