Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Cool Weather Ride Advice Sought  (Read 6625 times)

bogman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO-Softail-Springer-FXSTSSE3
Re: Cool Weather Ride Advice Sought
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2009, 05:01:21 PM »

Several layers of light clothing, full face helmet and balaclava, thermal socks, good boots, gore-tex jacket and heated grips, no need to be too cold

Sean M Cary

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2009, 01:10:25 PM »

I've got a combination nailed for down into the 20's...

Gerbings jacket and gloves, my FXR jacket and pants.  I wear a hood under my full face - and a neck gaiter.

Feet get a touch cold if I wear the wrong socks, but that is good for me on under 1 hour rides.  I really don't think I would want to push into the 20's beyond that.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2009, 03:14:46 PM »

I've got a combination nailed for down into the 20's...

Gerbings jacket and gloves, my FXR jacket and pants.  I wear a hood under my full face - and a neck gaiter.

Feet get a touch cold if I wear the wrong socks, but that is good for me on under 1 hour rides.  I really don't think I would want to push into the 20's beyond that.
What kinda 'hood' under the full face?  Any thing from the low 30's down is too much for me anymore regardless.......can you say frostbite/permanent damage?  :nervous:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2009, 04:59:23 PM »

What kinda 'hood' under the full face?  Any thing from the low 30's down is too much for me anymore regardless.......can you say frostbite/permanent damage?  :nervous:  spyder

it's this tactical fleece thing - when you get below the 30's anything exposed...hurts

gonna be 26 tomorrow - have to ride, my truck is hollowed out right now upgrading my sound system (that is a nightmare story), so I don't have any choice but to ride, but I would anyway anything above 20.

Drove twice so far this year, one day was 15 and the other it was icy out

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2009, 05:09:16 PM »

it's this tactical fleece thing - when you get below the 30's anything exposed...hurts

gonna be 26 tomorrow - have to ride, my truck is hollowed out right now upgrading my sound system (that is a nightmare story), so I don't have any choice but to ride, but I would anyway anything above 20.

Drove twice so far this year, one day was 15 and the other it was icy out
Plug up and enjoy the sunny ride in.... :sunny:...ya got that going for ya.  :2vrolijk_21: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2009, 05:35:20 PM »

I wear a Tourmaster Flex2 jacket; mesh jacket with over-shell, and liner.  The outer shell really blocks the wind.  Haven't used the liner yet.  This morning in the low 60s I used the outer jacket, but coming home it was in the mid-70s so unzipped the outer and just wore the mesh. Mesh jackets feel like you're just wearing a t-shirt; air flows right through.

Well, 60 is cold, ya know.   :yes:
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2009, 06:32:29 PM »

I wear a Tourmaster Flex2 jacket; mesh jacket with over-shell, and liner.  The outer shell really blocks the wind.  Haven't used the liner yet.  This morning in the low 60s I used the outer jacket, but coming home it was in the mid-70s so unzipped the outer and just wore the mesh. Mesh jackets feel like you're just wearing a t-shirt; air flows right through.

Well, 60 is cold, ya know.   :yes:

It's 25 here, feels like 13, snow on the ground, and more snow flying.  60's and 70's would be that tempting time, where I'd like to wear shorts and a tank top for a long ride, and start worrying how hot this engine really gets.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2009, 06:35:42 PM »

It's 25 here, feels like 13, snow on the ground, and more snow flying.  60's and 70's would be that tempting time, where I'd like to wear shorts and a tank top for a long ride, and start worrying how hot this engine really gets.
Like I'm looking forward to next weekend at Bike Week in Daytona (I hope)  :drink:  har!  spyder

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2009, 06:45:36 PM »

Like I'm looking forward to next weekend at Bike Week in Daytona (I hope)  :drink:  har!  spyder

I really thought I would have no problem having my bike all done and ready to head to Daytona, but I sure didn't anticipate that after 3.5 months that I would still be trying to get an exhaust system for my bike and waiting to take it in for 1000 mile service and dyno.  Enjoy yourself and have a drink, or 5 or 6 for me.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2009, 06:51:29 PM »

I really thought I would have no problem having my bike all done and ready to head to Daytona, but I sure didn't anticipate that after 3.5 months that I would still be trying to get an exhaust system for my bike and waiting to take it in for 1000 mile service and dyno.  Enjoy yourself and have a drink, or 5 or 6 for me.
Yeah, it's one thing to have trouble getting ready by Daytona time when building a bike or a complete winter re-build, but getting a brand new bike ready......that ought not be a deal breaker.  Sorry you'll miss the early spring riding......but, hang in there and I'll be sure and toss one back for ya!  :drink: spyder

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2009, 07:46:05 PM »

Yeah, it's one thing to have trouble getting ready by Daytona time when building a bike or a complete winter re-build, but getting a brand new bike ready......that ought not be a deal breaker.  Sorry you'll miss the early spring riding......but, hang in there and I'll be sure and toss one back for ya!  :drink: spyder

I decided a while ago that I'm not taking off on any long trips until I have the bike all dialed in correctly.  I just didn't think it would take this long to get to that point.  If I had a real stroke of luck, I could still get my pipes this week, have them installed, dyno done, and get a late start for FL.  But then I would also need a break in the weather here to escape on some dry roads, as I think all but one of my trailering options are gone now, and the other will be taken in the next few days.  If I can't commit to leaving next Saturday real quick, I think someone else will take that spot.  The odds are really stacked against me, but I think I'd rather just get the bike set up how I want it and ready for the weather to turn.  I should have plenty of opportunities to take off then.

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2009, 08:08:27 PM »

Hehe, we can always tell folks from PA and other Northerners by the short pants and tank tops they wear while we're wearing chaps! And by the smiles on their faces! ;D ;D ;D :huepfenjump3:
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2009, 08:17:15 PM »

Hehe, we can always tell folks from PA and other Northerners by the short pants and tank tops they wear while we're wearing chaps! And by the smiles on their faces! ;D ;D ;D :huepfenjump3:

It amazing how the body acclimates to weather conditions.  In October and November, when we start getting those days down in the 50's, it feels mighty cold and the heavy weather gear comes out.  At this time of the year, if we get a 50 degree day, I could ride in shorts and a tee and it feels like a cool summer breeze.  So, when we hit that FL weather, 60 to 70 degrees feels more like upper 80's to us.  I guess it's all relative.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2009, 09:38:30 PM »

It amazing how the body acclimates to weather conditions.  In October and November, when we start getting those days down in the 50's, it feels mighty cold and the heavy weather gear comes out.  At this time of the year, if we get a 50 degree day, I could ride in shorts and a tee and it feels like a cool summer breeze.  So, when we hit that FL weather, 60 to 70 degrees feels more like upper 80's to us.  I guess it's all relative.

I always figured your yank brains had frozen...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 22 queries.