Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Cool Weather Ride Advice Sought  (Read 6684 times)

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
Cool Weather Ride Advice Sought
« on: October 19, 2008, 09:16:12 AM »

Looking for insight on cool weather riding.  Winter closing in, so I took my '08 Springer out for a 1/2 day ride yesterday (214 miles in 5 hours).  Temperature ranged from high 40's to low 50's.  Some wind.  Partly sunny.  Had on my chaps, FXRG leather coat with the liner and my FXRG gloves.  I wear a 1/2 helmet and my bike has a 14" windshield.  A few weeks ago I was set to go on an overnight trip, expected rain, and bought a full face helmet (after reading the posts on our site).  Never wore it, so I thew it on the luggage rack for my 1/2 day trip thinking I'd try it out.

My route was mostly highway riding (55-70 mph).  I made two stops of 20 minutes or so, one for lunch (and gas) and another at a Harley dealer along the way.  Others were brief, just to get off, stretch and/or hit the head.

MAN, IS IT COLD OUT THERE.  What surprises me is the slow bleed of body heat.  I got home at 5:00; took a full hour before chills left me, a cup of hot tea, 10 minutes under the heater fan in the bathroom, a donut and a chocolate bar.

It was cold on the bike, but I didn't appreciate how cold till I stopped riding.  On a longer trip, I could see how cold could be a real problem if your gear were inadequate and you were between stops.

Observations:

1.  In cool weather, highway riding is going to affect you more than back road riding.  At high speed, the cold finds every nook and cranny to drain your warmth.  Also, you're more stationary on the bike in highway riding.  Wonder if that contributes. 

2.  Eat.  In this case, my only food over the 5 hours was a small hamburger, a diet coke and granola bar.  You need to eat to stay warm.

3.  Longjohns.  Chaps weren't enough over my jeans.  Problem compounded a little because the snaps on my Harley chaps wouldn't stay closed so bottom of my chaps were flapping in the wind.  (You could get killed horsing around making sure your chap snaps aren't banging around on your chrome.)  Long underwear probably a must in cool weather rides of any distance or full leather pants.

4.  Full face helmet.  It made a huge difference in comfort and warmth.  I'm not used to the confinement, limit on field of vision or mute it puts on the sound of the bike, but for comfort, I was glad I had it.  Put it on about 1/2 way home and it was a noticeable improvement in warmth.

I'm not going to buy heated gear or move to the South.  Wondering if there are any tricks (frequency of stops, etc.), to cool/cold weather riding.  Looking for insights.  Picture of my bike along the way (cell phone photo).  Any cold day on the bike beats a warm day on the golf course.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Re: Cool Weather Ride Advice Sought
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 09:40:50 AM »

RPR50,

Nice bike! Glad to see you aren't letting a little cool weather stand in the way of riding! One of the best things I've done to keep out the drafts and keep warm is to wear either a balaclava or at least a neck gator with my full face helmet. Really cuts down on the wind getting into the jacket. Also, doesn't look like you've got a windshield on your scoot. That makes an incredible difference as well, especially at speed. Get a good detachable model and you can use it when needed.

Just my 2 cents.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 12:00:09 PM »

dont rule out heated gear, keeps my riding in new england until the first time they put sand/salt on the roads nothing like the rush of cold air in your face while your body is all toasty warm
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 12:05:04 PM »

heated gloves would be my only concession

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 12:10:32 PM »

Heated gear is the best thing that has happened to winter riding.

I would love to know what the adversity to the heated gear was, but you can get away with just a jacket

liner and a plug on the bike. If you keep your core temperature up your hands, legs and feet can maintain a comfortable

temperature. 

The cost for a jacket liner is not bad, and you can skip the rheostat temperature control for now (I

actually love the temp control, it keeps me from turning on/off and burning up)

More comfortable riding equals safer riding in my book.

Buy the heated gear!
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 12:54:27 PM »

Go with the heated gear and you can ride till the road freezes.  Gerbing makes everything socks,pants,jackets or liners,glove liners or heated gloves.  They even have battery pack so they work anywhere.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 01:14:18 PM »

I tried the heated gear once a long time ago, I was limited in distance traveled by the extension cords. The kept coming unpluged every 100 feet. ;D ;D
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 08:17:51 PM »

Appreciate your thoughts.  I've got no aversion to heated gear, except. . . . . it's more gear.  Until this ride, I didn't think high 40's/low 50's was cold.  That's what was so surprising.  Maybe I'm a wuss and don't know it.  You guys are making the point.....get heated gear.  I'll look into the liner and the gloves.  Hoping to ride until the salt flies.  Thanks.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 08:36:28 PM »

i find i carry less gear and wear less layers with it, which for me allows more freedom of movement. dont feel like the michelin man
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 09:12:12 PM »

Heated gear is they way to go! :2vrolijk_21: After a MV adventure a couple years ago I decided to get me some when it was 20 something the morning I was coming home! :coolblue: Now, I wonder what took me so long! :nixweiss: Also, layer your self with some good lite under garments that will take the moisture away from your skin and that will keep you warm! You will enjoy the ride and extend your riding season! Good luck and God Bless!

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 05:37:48 AM »

I never thought I'd want/need heated gear with a bagger. I  was in Laconia in 04 and froze my butt off in the mountains while the other guys had heated liner & heated gloves. They had on 1/2 the clothes & 4 times as warm. I have a full set now. I actually had the gloves given to me by my wife 10 years ago but never wore them. Until after this trip. THE MUFFMAN

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 06:00:33 AM »

One of the issues is that we are.............getting older and the tough guy image losses its luster. 25 yrs ago I would NEVER have a windshield on my bike, now I wouldn't dream of not. We, wifey and I, have Kinetsu vests from aerostitch. works great, and we keep several of those hand warmer things on the bikes for in our gloves, boots.
Now you say "but your in Tennessee", we ride up north a lot to the windy city. and 3 yrs ago we left out of here Dec 26 to Padre Island, the snow piled up on the windshield I was glad I had.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 08:51:16 AM »

Heated gear is the best thing that has happened to winter riding.

I would love to know what the adversity to the heated gear was, but you can get away with just a jacket

liner and a plug on the bike. If you keep your core temperature up your hands, legs and feet can maintain a comfortable

temperature. 

The cost for a jacket liner is not bad, and you can skip the rheostat temperature control for now (I

actually love the temp control, it keeps me from turning on/off and burning up)

More comfortable riding equals safer riding in my book.

Buy the heated gear!

Heated gear is the answer. I have a 03 SERK and an 08 SEUC and the Ultra has heated seat and grips together with the lowers I have not needed the heated pants or gloves yet and have been in 38 degrees comfortably. Using a half helmet with a face/neck polar fleece with velcro closure-fits into the jacket and prevents leakage. The windshield is the other key. I bought a Virago when I was back East in February of 1983 and put a vetter fairing (similar to the h-d batwing) and wouldn't be without-and heated gear was not an option back then-just layers. Now I use under armour heavy weight top and bottom and if needed supplement with the Gerbing gear, of course chaps on top as wind break. Did 80 miles yesterday and it was 45 both ways and without the heated gear on the SERK, just winter gloves and the cheap H-D cordura strap on lowers and I was right on the edges of being uncomfortable. With this set up I can ride year round here in Seattle whenever the rain isn't coming down. We usually have our first season ride the end of February-annual leap year ride.

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 09:17:52 AM »

One of the issues is that we are.............getting older and the tough guy image losses its luster. 25 yrs ago I would NEVER have a windshield on my bike, now I wouldn't dream of not. We, wifey and I, have Kinetsu vests from aerostitch. works great, and we keep several of those hand warmer things on the bikes for in our gloves, boots.
Now you say "but your in Tennessee", we ride up north a lot to the windy city. and 3 yrs ago we left out of here Dec 26 to Padre Island, the snow piled up on the windshield I was glad I had.

I believe you call that "wisdom".  :bananarock: ;D :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 01:30:26 PM »

No advice much more than what's been given.  Was just thinking of the trip that finally sold me on heated gear a few years ago.  It was a day riding with Bill (WFP). 

The first big year at Maggie Valley.  The Monday after Maggie Valley the group had an invitation to tour the York assembly plant and see CVO bikes being whelped.

Don't remember for sure but think it was 30 degress when we left relatively early that morning.  Had not a long day but still about 600 miles.  Didn't get warmer than about 50 until mid afternoon when we crossed a small weather front.  Then still only in to the high 50s.

Most of the morning and day was in temps between 35 and 50 though.  We'd shiver a bit at gas stops and look forward to getting back on the bike just to stop the shivers.  Hot soup at lunch to start.  Gorgeous blue skies all day though.  Damn that was a nice day to be riding.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 20 queries.