Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Kuryakyn Curved License Plate Frame  (Read 44981 times)

2 Disturbed

• CVO1: 2011 SESG, Black Diamond & Crimson
Re: Kuryakyn Curved License Plate Frame
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2012, 06:36:07 PM »

Any chance of buying a copy of the bracket and spacers when you finish?

X3  :2vrolijk_21:
2011 SESG with Fullsac X-pipe, TTS Tuner, 2.0 Fulsac baffles, and dyno at 96 HP and 110 torque by Steve at Fulsac.
1994 Road King, 1990 Heritage Softail, 1987 FXR, 1984 FXR.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2012, 06:46:17 PM »

The SS mount is a great idea, and if it gives you the finished product you are looking for then you are in!! I understand not wanting to drill your fender, but it is just a fender. I will be really surprised if you can get the same look using a bracket. When you bolt the frame to the fender it fits tight up against the fender, no gap, the next best thing to being molded in. I am not downing your bracket at all, hell if it work and gives the same result I will kick myself in the butt, just don't see how that is possible.
So you drilled directly through the fender on the four corners?
RETIRED! :fireman:

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2012, 06:51:17 PM »

Yes sir, drill through the backing plate on the top holes as well. Total install time +/- 30 minutes. The plate frame in not exactly the same radius as the rear fender, you have to gently tighten it down to pull it all together. With the SS bracket there will be no way to accomplish this, so there will be no way to make it fit tight. I HATE to say I have anything Kuryakyn on my bike, but I do like this frame the best of what I have seen.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2012, 07:01:16 PM »

Yes sir, drill through the backing plate on the top holes as well. Total install time +/- 30 minutes. The plate frame in not exactly the same radius as the rear fender, you have to gently tighten it down to pull it all together. With the SS bracket there will be no way to accomplish this, so there will be no way to make it fit tight. I HATE to say I have anything Kuryakyn on my bike, but I do like this frame the best of what I have seen.
I was wondering about the radius match. Is yours the universal fit? I have no problem drilling the fender. I'll just have to got to the closet and get my big balls out! Heck, the bike only cost $30+ K  ;)
Do you happen to have the part # or did I miss it somewhere?
Thanks

NorEaster

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTFSE2 Nebula Yellow / Cobalt Blue
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2012, 07:28:33 AM »

The plate frame in not exactly the same radius as the rear fender, you have to gently tighten it down to pull it all together. With the SS bracket there will be no way to accomplish this, so there will be no way to make it fit tight.

This is not entirely true, or I do not believe it is anyway.  I will have to try it before I can say with certainty.

My back plate prototype was designed with weight savings in mind and to match the Kuryakyn frame curve exactly.  I did not realize the curve was not optimal for our bikes.  If the Kuryakyn's curve is not ideal for our CVO's fenders, I can change the curve of my back plate to compensate for this.  And if my initial weight saving design is not strong enough to pull the Kuryakyn frame to its curve I can change it to a beefier design leaving more material or simply use a thicker material.  The Kuryakyn frame looks like it will easily allow me to use up to 1/4" thick material if needed and still hide the back plate.  ;D

The other option is to just pre-bend the Kuryakyn frame to the correct radius so the back plate frame does not need to be beefed up at all.  My only fear is how much the Kuryakyn frame radius is off from a perfect match.  A little tweaking is one thing, but too much change risks cracking the chrome plating on the frame.  :(

How far off is the curve on the Kuryakyn frame anyway?

worshipduder

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2012, 10:11:22 AM »

This is not entirely true, or I do not believe it is anyway.  I will have to try it before I can say with certainty.

My back plate prototype was designed with weight savings in mind and to match the Kuryakyn frame curve exactly.  I did not realize the curve was not optimal for our bikes.  If the Kuryakyn's curve is not ideal for our CVO's fenders, I can change the curve of my back plate to compensate for this.  And if my initial weight saving design is not strong enough to pull the Kuryakyn frame to its curve I can change it to a beefier design leaving more material or simply use a thicker material.  The Kuryakyn frame looks like it will easily allow me to use up to 1/4" thick material if needed and still hide the back plate.  ;D

The other option is to just pre-bend the Kuryakyn frame to the correct radius so the back plate frame does not need to be beefed up at all.  My only fear is how much the Kuryakyn frame radius is off from a perfect match.  A little tweaking is one thing, but too much change risks cracking the chrome plating on the frame.  :(

How far off is the curve on the Kuryakyn frame anyway?

it's absolutely true cuz i did it!  I drilled four holes and mounted it. I put a piece of neoprene behind the plate so it would not only bend properly, but not scratch the paint
2010 FLXHSE Candy Concord
V&H Power Duals
V&H Hi-Output Slip-ons
TTS Mastertune
Feuling Reaper 574 Camchest Kit
Feuling Oil Pump
Dyno'd at 116 HP & 118 TQ
C&C Flame Stitched Seat
Wild 1 Chubby 575s
PM Contour Touring Mirrors
J&M 7.25 Speakers & 250 Watt Amp
Hogtunes Hogpod
Riders Claw
HD Contoured Heated Hand Grips
Wicked Image Flame Shift Linkage
Klock Werks Flare 8.5
HD Electra-Glo™ Light Pod Kit
Kury License Plate

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2012, 10:23:05 AM »

it's absolutely true cuz i did it!  I drilled four holes and mounted it. I put a piece of neoprene behind the plate so it would not only bend properly, but not scratch the paint
Do you recall the part number that you used?

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2012, 10:26:19 AM »

Kuryakyn 9182

NorEaster

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »

The part I was saying I did not believe to be entirely true was that I would not be able to pull in the curve on the Kuryakyn frame using my back plate.  I believe you could do it using 4 holes in YOUR fender.  I just will not be doing it with 4 holes in MY fender.  ;D

worshipduder

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2012, 11:25:01 PM »

Do you recall the part number that you used?

Kuryakyn 9182
2010 FLXHSE Candy Concord
V&H Power Duals
V&H Hi-Output Slip-ons
TTS Mastertune
Feuling Reaper 574 Camchest Kit
Feuling Oil Pump
Dyno'd at 116 HP & 118 TQ
C&C Flame Stitched Seat
Wild 1 Chubby 575s
PM Contour Touring Mirrors
J&M 7.25 Speakers & 250 Watt Amp
Hogtunes Hogpod
Riders Claw
HD Contoured Heated Hand Grips
Wicked Image Flame Shift Linkage
Klock Werks Flare 8.5
HD Electra-Glo™ Light Pod Kit
Kury License Plate

NorEaster

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2012, 09:31:35 AM »

Kuryakyn 9182

If you are going to mount the frame directly to your fender, and not use any back plate, you are better off buying the Kuryakyn 3144 part number which is just the frame for $70.  The Kuryakyn 9182, which has a universal back plate for metric bikes, was $110.  And that is if you can even still get that part number.  I was just on their website and it looks like that part number has been replaced with Kuryakyn 9255 which is now $120.  :(

I believe the 3144 frame is the exact same physical frame as both the 9182 and 9255 part numbers.  However, the 3144 does not include a back plate and comes with a plug on the end of the wires that is plug and play with the Harley wiring.

So not only is the 3144 part number cheaper, it plugs right in.  ;D  At least that is what they claim on their website.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 11:08:59 AM »

sorry can't comment on the other part numbers. The frame I used had the LED's to light the plate, and did come with the backing plate I gave away. It was not plug and play!

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2012, 12:21:28 PM »

sorry can't comment on the other part numbers. The frame I used had the LED's to light the plate, and did come with the backing plate I gave away. It was not plug and play!
Ordered! Thanks!  When it and the bike get here, I'll see what direction works best for me and post the results.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 11:48:14 PM »

i went for it.. Put it on tonight.  I think it looks really good.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:50:37 PM by cvostu »

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 11:51:10 PM »

one more
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.