Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]  All

Author Topic: Hitting cars when lane sharing  (Read 17220 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Hitting cars when lane sharing
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2011, 12:11:41 PM »

THey are never thinking about motorcycles.... :)

Merry Christmas to all of you from us here in wet, rainy Hawaii.... I need some sun... my yard has become a marsh

I'm sorry you had to come to California to get it but here you go........

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

rdawg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red AKA "Red Rider"
« Reply #121 on: December 25, 2011, 02:39:54 PM »

They're still black and white but they no longer have the black body with the white doors like the CHP.  I had a GEEG Squad guy come out to the house right after he got his car back from being painted.  I found it very surprising since the CHP leave the cars black and white (even with the white doors) that they send to auction.  Not sure where the management level saw the difference or what made the Volkswagon look so much more like a CHP car than the ex CHP cars? :nixweiss: 

Now, quite a few of the CHP cars in the Sac. area are all white.  Does that mean we can no longer own a white car? :nixweiss:

JC
The Geek Squad's  originally had white roofs, think the compromise was that they painted the roof black and only the doors were white.

The white CHP's are supposed to be for truck enforcement, that's why they are all white.  Supposed to be less visible to the truckers, but, the cb seems to precede the color of the car.  They were pastel colors back in the late 80's, I drove a gold Chevy Caprice in Calabasas for a while.  Now they are all white, known as SMPV or Specially Marked Patrol Vehicle. 

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #122 on: December 25, 2011, 04:02:34 PM »

I'm sorry you had to come to California to get it but here you go........

Hahahaha.... actually.. the sun is finally aout today... I might even wash my bike today

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #123 on: December 25, 2011, 07:52:39 PM »

JC
The Geek Squad's  originally had white roofs, think the compromise was that they painted the roof black and only the doors were white.

The white CHP's are supposed to be for truck enforcement, that's why they are all white.  Supposed to be less visible to the truckers, but, the cb seems to precede the color of the car.  They were pastel colors back in the late 80's, I drove a gold Chevy Caprice in Calabasas for a while.  Now they are all white, known as SMPV or Specially Marked Patrol Vehicle. 

That's what i heard but every time I see one on the side of the road, it's a car that they have pulled over. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

rdawg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red AKA "Red Rider"
« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2011, 09:39:38 PM »

That's what i heard but every time I see one on the side of the road, it's a car that they have pulled over. :nixweiss:
That's what happens when they have been around a while and all the new guys want to drive it cause it's different than the rest of the fleet. 

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #125 on: December 27, 2011, 10:59:58 AM »

Was just in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Motorcycles are a major form of transportation there. The bikes are smaller but so are the roads. Splitting lanes is a given for them. They would laugh at our description of splitting lanes and our description of heavy traffic. They commonly split down the sides up the middle and if one of those lanes gets blocked when traffic stops they cut over between the front and rear of vehicles to a more strategic position.

It sounds crazy but it works. Very well actually.

In the Bay Area I often split going on 880. I would say 90% of the vehicles let me through once they realize I'm there. What's common is that once I get through the jam there are vehicles going very slow with a quarter mile of open space in front of them. (No reason for a jam.) When they see/hear me going by it seems to wake them up and they increase their speed. (Distracted)  Ten years ago I didn't split in a jam and was rear ended by a guy doing 65 mph.

A dangerous situation can be at intersections. A green light doesn't mean the intersection and crosswalks are safe to proceed. The light turns green and bikes shoot up between cars not moving. Sometimes the cars are not moving because they are letting pedestrians, bicycles, or other vehicles clear the intersection. A couple of years ago in the Bay Area a couple of kids were killed and the father lost a leg when a guy on a Harley sped between stopped cars when the light changed. He happened to be on his third DUI, was sentenced to life and was murdered in prison months later. (Was posted in the News forum)

Impatience can be your enemy when riding but especially when in a traffic jam.

Some people don't like you splitting but they also don't like your clothes, religion, hair style, politics, weight, music, etc., etc. Don't ride in a manner trying to appease everybody because you can't appease everybody and you aren't in your groove.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 01:33:57 PM by DDavidson »
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #126 on: December 27, 2011, 07:28:53 PM »

Some people don't like you splitting but they also don't like your clothes, religion, hair style, politics, weight, music, etc., etc. Don't ride in a manner trying to appease everybody because you can't appease everybody and you aren't in your groove.

Hey man, that weight comment hurt my feelings.  :(
Jesus is Lord

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2011, 11:45:17 AM »

Was just in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Motorcycles are a major form of transportation there. The bikes are smaller but so are the roads. Splitting lanes is a given for them. They would laugh at our description of splitting lanes and our description of heavy traffic. They commonly split down the sides up the middle and if one of those lanes gets blocked when traffic stops they cut over between the front and rear of vehicles to a more strategic position.

It sounds crazy but it works. Very well actually.

I saw something like that in Costa Rica. Many lanes for traffic but no one used them. As far as i could tell there was only one rule in CR; "You can do anything as long as you don't hit anyone."

People weaved in and out like crazy, but stopped just short of impact. I actually thought it worked better and was safer than all the US drivers, LOL..

jb
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 20 queries.