Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Author Topic: Hitting cars when lane sharing  (Read 17306 times)

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Hitting cars when lane sharing
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2011, 04:37:09 AM »

^^^ I agree. Other than a short riding season and no work, I like my little podunk farming community in SE Idaho.  ;D Snowmobiles and ATV's make up for the off season but that work thing will take you places around the globe that you never had planned on going (looks like I'll be doing it for a longer time now...more chrome and center stand in my future). My time at Point Mugu (Oxnard) was cool because it was a small farming community and riding the PCH down to the Neptune or Rock store were easy enough to deal with. Even enjoyed the ride to Solvang and that mining cafe (don't recall the name) so there are some good places to ride. I just did whatever I could to avoid going into the big cities. I know that isn't possible for those making a good living out there so I can appreciate what you all go through in getting around.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2011, 12:38:56 PM »

Welcome from SoCal. I live up the road in Lake Elsinore and have commuted to the OC on a daily basis for many years. In my experience most folks will move over for you if they know your there, so loud pipes are a must. A new cam to rock the pavement works for the hard a hearing.  Doc

I agree! I rode on LA freeways for years. Traffic can go from 75 mph to dead stop in all lanes within just seconds and happens often. In some areas, it can just be stop - go six or eight feet - stop- go six or eight feet - stop........ Your clutch and brake hand will eventually quit working after an hour or more of this mess.

My rules for lane splitting are; stay in the lane unless traffic speeds drop to lower than 15-20 mph, then split lanes carefully and keep speed down so you can panic stop if needed. Keep the bike geared down so you make the most noise and most will hear you and give you some extra room. Always be prepared for that one driver that will actually try to cut you off because they have been sitting in a traffic jam for hours and hate the fact you can just cruise right by them. I would always see some bikers that would split lanes at any traffic speeds and usually at very high rates of speed. In my opinion; that is just plain stupid. California highway drivers will jerk over into another lane without even looking if a space develops for them to squeeze in. Under those circumstances, going much faster than the traffic will eventually result in serious injury or death. It is my expierence that LIFE speaks to me. If I were scuffing anything while splitting lanes I would re-evaluate my riding habits.

Finally, I would be slighty more aggressive in splitting lanes if a motorcycle officer passed me. I felt really safe following a CHP officer between lanes, LOL... People will almost move into another lane when a Chippy is splitting lanes... I even noticed a difference between black and white helmets and they just suspected I may be CHP.

jimbob

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #107 on: December 24, 2011, 12:33:57 PM »

I agree! I rode on LA freeways for years. Traffic can go from 75 mph to dead stop in all lanes within just seconds and happens often. In some areas, it can just be stop - go six or eight feet - stop- go six or eight feet - stop........ Your clutch and brake hand will eventually quit working after an hour or more of this mess.

My rules for lane splitting are; stay in the lane unless traffic speeds drop to lower than 15-20 mph, then split lanes carefully and keep speed down so you can panic stop if needed. Keep the bike geared down so you make the most noise and most will hear you and give you some extra room. Always be prepared for that one driver that will actually try to cut you off because they have been sitting in a traffic jam for hours and hate the fact you can just cruise right by them. I would always see some bikers that would split lanes at any traffic speeds and usually at very high rates of speed. In my opinion; that is just plain stupid. California highway drivers will jerk over into another lane without even looking if a space develops for them to squeeze in. Under those circumstances, going much faster than the traffic will eventually result in serious injury or death. It is my expierence that LIFE speaks to me. If I were scuffing anything while splitting lanes I would re-evaluate my riding habits.

Finally, I would be slighty more aggressive in splitting lanes if a motorcycle officer passed me. I felt really safe following a CHP officer between lanes, LOL... People will almost move into another lane when a Chippy is splitting lanes... I even noticed a difference between black and white helmets and they just suspected I may be CHP.

jimbob
maybe just dress up the whole bike like chp or would that be cheating or ILLEGAL!scares me just talking about it :nervous: :nervous:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #108 on: December 24, 2011, 12:49:03 PM »

maybe just dress up the whole bike like chp or would that be cheating or ILLEGAL!scares me just talking about it :nervous: :nervous:
Impersonating a LEO is illegal, but a 'cop bike'?  If a white helmet gets people to move over, think what a good paint job on the scooter will do.  As long as you don't add the 'lights' & 'insignia'....I guess it would be legal.  A 'BarnieBike'.  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #109 on: December 24, 2011, 01:30:59 PM »

Impersonating a LEO is illegal, but a 'cop bike'?  If a white helmet gets people to move over, think what a good paint job on the scooter will do.  As long as you don't add the 'lights' & 'insignia'....I guess it would be legal.  A 'BarnieBike'.  har.  spyder

I'm pretty sure anything even resembling a black&white LEO type of paint job will cause trouble. The Best Buy Geek Squad in CA had to change the paint jobs on their Beetles.
2010 FLTRX--Primo paint set
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold

Wanted--black Rumble collection saddlebag latches.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #110 on: December 24, 2011, 01:45:18 PM »

I'm pretty sure anything even resembling a black&white LEO type of paint job will cause trouble. The Best Buy Geek Squad in CA had to change the paint jobs on their Beetles.

I dont think so, the state of california auctions off their retired CHP vehicles leaving paint scheme intact but removing emergency lights and insignias.. I see on them on the road all the time and have slowed down many times thinking a LEO was behind.  They havent changed the paint schemes on Best Buy Geed Squad cars in sacramento area,, same black white and orange as always.   :nixweiss:

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #111 on: December 24, 2011, 03:02:12 PM »

I guess the new 2012 CVO ROAD GLIDE "skunks" will cause a lot of trouble too.

Happy Holidays

Jerry

« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 07:52:00 PM by CVOStreetglide »

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #112 on: December 24, 2011, 04:26:12 PM »

Things must have changed since 2005 then. http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/chp-pulls-over-geek-squad-20308
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050825/NEWS/508250319/1033/NEWS01

I'm into Police Mustangs as well and CHP repainted most or all of those before they went to auction. Very poorly too.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:28:57 PM by ThunderBueller »
2010 FLTRX--Primo paint set
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold

Wanted--black Rumble collection saddlebag latches.

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #113 on: December 25, 2011, 12:17:29 AM »

A guy I ride with has a pearl white Ultra and rides with a black half helmet and you should see people slow down or get out of his way when he rides up behind them.  :huepfenlol2:  :huepfenlol2:  :huepfenlol2:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #114 on: December 25, 2011, 12:42:16 AM »

I dont think so, the state of california auctions off their retired CHP vehicles leaving paint scheme intact but removing emergency lights and insignias.. I see on them on the road all the time and have slowed down many times thinking a LEO was behind.  They havent changed the paint schemes on Best Buy Geed Squad cars in sacramento area,, same black white and orange as always.   :nixweiss:

They're still black and white but they no longer have the black body with the white doors like the CHP.  I had a GEEG Squad guy come out to the house right after he got his car back from being painted.  I found it very surprising since the CHP leave the cars black and white (even with the white doors) that they send to auction.  Not sure where the management level saw the difference or what made the Volkswagon look so much more like a CHP car than the ex CHP cars? :nixweiss:

Now, quite a few of the CHP cars in the Sac. area are all white.  Does that mean we can no longer own a white car? :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #115 on: December 25, 2011, 02:41:42 AM »

I'm riding around on a Kawaski Police Bike in police colors with no problem. There are no markings or insignias but folks do give me a double take all the time.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #116 on: December 25, 2011, 03:07:07 AM »

I'm riding around on a Kawaski Police Bike in police colors with no problem. There are no markings or insignias but folks do give me a double take all the time.

THe 09 SERG in silver is so bright it looks white in the RVM.... and wearing a light colored helmet gets the same response... and I HATE it when traffic slows in front of you like that!

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #117 on: December 25, 2011, 08:24:35 AM »

Too bad that ALL bikes are not given that kind of respect by the cagers.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2011, 09:39:47 AM »

Too bad that ALL bikes are not given that kind of respect by the cagers.  spyder

You have a valid point Spyder.  How is it that they'll notice a CHP bike (No HID or LED lights, stock exhaust, etc. etc.) but not our bikes?

Wait a minute......they do see us but the mentaility of "oh, it's just a little bike.....I'm bigger than him and he can slow down quickly (or he's small enough to move over)".  Kind of the same attitude that some truckers have when they want in your lane and you're in a little pick up.   Not suggesting it's all of them.....some drivers are very courteous and will actually slow or move over for you.  But it's the few azzholas that we have to watch out for. :nixweiss:

Merry Christmas everybody and ride safe today....they're not thinking about motorcycles today! :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #119 on: December 25, 2011, 11:07:24 AM »

You have a valid point Spyder.  How is it that they'll notice a CHP bike (No HID or LED lights, stock exhaust, etc. etc.) but not our bikes?

Wait a minute......they do see us but the mentaility of "oh, it's just a little bike.....I'm bigger than him and he can slow down quickly (or he's small enough to move over)".  Kind of the same attitude that some truckers have when they want in your lane and you're in a little pick up.   Not suggesting it's all of them.....some drivers are very courteous and will actually slow or move over for you.  But it's the few azzholas that we have to watch out for. :nixweiss:

Merry Christmas everybody and ride safe today....they're not thinking about motorcycles today! :2vrolijk_21:

THey are never thinking about motorcycles.... :)

Merry Christmas to all of you from us here in wet, rainy Hawaii.... I need some sun... my yard has become a marsh

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.