Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Best camera for *on the go* picture taking  (Read 6126 times)

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
Best camera for *on the go* picture taking
« on: October 27, 2011, 06:41:12 AM »

Hey everybody,

I'm looking for suggestions for the best camera for taking quality pictures while riding. One that can be hung around your neck and available for use at the spur of the moment.

The small camera that I have now takes too long to turn on and has a huge lag from the time of pushing the button to actually taking the picture. No way to captur a picture while riding.

Looking for suggestions with backup info.

Thanks, Rick
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

miceracs

• Live 3 and ride safe
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Best Harley in Brighton 2011

• CVO1: 2015 RoadGlide Ultra CVO
Re: Best camera for *on the go* picture taking
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 07:00:54 AM »

:bananarock:go to your local friendly camera dealer and tell them money not a problem, tell them what you want and how to use and see what they come back with. Then ask the same question within your budget. I did this last year for the same reason, our old camera took too long to focus and setup, you missed the opportunity. It's my wifes job to take the photo's when we are on the move, in the arm chair on the RG Ultra, so she does'nt need to hold on.
I ended up with the Canon Powershot S95. Not cheap, Excellent camera, great quaility pics. It has the super fast canon lens system. Possible this has already been superceded, but check out the spec and reviews on google, will give you an idea. it's light and easy to use and carry.     :2vrolijk_21:

er indoors was very happy with this Christmas prezzie.
I work to fund my ability to roam countries on my bike, I live for the day when I no longer need to work and still do what I want!

canucktm

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 08:12:58 AM »

Love my Canon G35. Road my bike from Calgary south to New Mexico then east across middle America did the Dragon's tail then North back home to Nova Scotia. This camera was excellent. High quallity images , large screen , video , easy to operate with fingerless gloves.   Not cheap. I think the new model is called the G37. Check it out ! Good luck Mr. Warlock !

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »

I've been most successful with the Nikon D-60.  While it's a bit big, especially since I don't have a BSR sitting back there with nothing else to do but snap pics and I'm often taking them at 80 mph, it is the smallest Nikon DSLR camera.
I'm sure you've seen all my ride and picture reports.  I'm able to use it with my gloves on and in automatic setting, can take many pics in rapid fire by just pushing and holding the button down. :2vrolijk_21:

As far as the quality of pictures in a small point and shoot poket camera (small enough to go in shirt pocket) is the Canon that Don (DDavidson) uses.  He did a thread on it here, if you want to do an advanced search.  Or maybe he'll post here.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 10:11:04 AM »

For a pocket camera the Canon Powershot S95 is an excellent choice.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 10:49:11 AM »

Here's a link to the thread where Don posted many pics and then the info. on his camera on the second page of this thread.  Keep in mind that he bought the camera just before he left on his cross country trip and didn't know anything about the camera......some really nice pics for somebody that didn't know what they were doing........just point and shoot.....    http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=67692.0     
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 11:57:19 AM »

This is not exactly a pocket camera...more like a jacket pocket camera...but the Canon G12 (latest itteration) is robustly built, has a nice, large display, and if you choose to do so, has some manual features like a "real" camera.  Or you can just put it on Auto and shoot.  Useful zoom range on the lens, and Image Stabilization.  Decent pictures as high as ISO 800 for lower light shots.  I have the G10 (earlier version), and under the right conditions, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and my D300 Nikon with regards to image quality.  It has the look/feel sort of like a Rangefinder camera.  Metal chassis, dials instead of having to dig through menus, no shutter lag to speak of, focuses quickly, and comes on and ready to shoot very quckly.  And it's got a nice battery and charger.  Up to 370 shots.  Also will shoot RAW images, if you want to get serious with it.  I would have no problem using this camera as full blown backup to my backpack full of Nikon gear.  It also has a very usable flash range, and a hotshoe if you want to use a "real" flash.  IMO, it's about as close as you can get to DSLR performance without getting a DSLR.

Here's some reviews:  http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_g12-review
If you really want a detailed review:  http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/G12/G12A.HTM
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »

There is still a market for high end cameras but these "pocket cameras" are going by way of the "dodo" bird.

For example look at the iPhone 4s...8 megs picture quality, cropping, anti shake, red eye reduction etc. If it is "point and click" that you want for 4x6 or 5x7 pictures, 8 megs will more than get the job done.

And you don't have to carry a phone and a camera.

JMHO.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 12:57:31 PM »

Anne didn't like holding the Nikon D90 so the D300s or D700 is out of the question...so the BSR needs a a low-lag time P&S camera.

The best lowest  lag camera we ever had was a Sony cybershot P100 a few years ago...back in 2006.  But we went through two as the lens mechanisms both failed eventually.  The Canon SD800is was not as good but did fairly well...its case eventially failed.  Our canon SX200is sucks wind!  

That lag caused by auto exposure and auto focus is tough.  I played with the settings but so far nothing works well for the times she sees something to photograph to the time the photo is taken even with the camera on.  Often, she missed the shot.  The upshot is the camera is hunting for the exposure and the focus and on a moving bike, that can be tough.  

I have tried the G12 and still the same problem.

I can't be pleased I guess....actually, my dSLRs are pleasing to me...
Bill
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 01:05:16 PM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 01:08:55 PM »

Agree with all your points, Bill.  As long as you are taking shots more or less at an "infinity" type situation, everything works relatively well.  If you're trying to take a photo of a specific object, relatively close to the moving bike, most cameras are going to have difficulty, especially if you're approaching the object, rather than it being off to the side.

TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 02:47:04 PM »

Several years ago I went to the local camera store (chain) and asked that question - best p&s for quick response.  I tried several he recommended and settled on the Nikon Coolpix.  I am on my third one now (none of them like being dropped, lol).  and it is a 10megapixel but it is a couple years old.  I am sure the current version has more.  Great little camera and bsr has taken some good shots while riding.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 03:37:01 PM »

X2 on the Canon Powershoot S95. GREAT camera  :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 06:35:03 PM »

With the mirrorless cameras coming out, a lot of stuff is about to change.

TTS Mastertune

480Ruger

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 09:10:28 PM »

I love my Sony Cyber-shot HX9V.  From Dodge City to Durango, Gillette to Milwaukee most of the pictures were at speed.  Great zoom, wide angle and instant shots.  Even the wildlife on the side of the road came out perfect.
03 FLSTFI
   95" stage 3
04 VRSCB
   PC-3
   Rhineharts
10 FLHTCUSE5
   Bub 7 TDX
   Zipper's MaxFlow
   Tmax

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 09:48:33 PM »

Any camera made by Lumix.  This is a partership with Panasonic and Leica.  I have had 3 of them, and extremly impressed with them.  A number of pros use them, including the group that was doing the audio/visual work at the HOG HOT events this year.  My newest is a mirrorless SLR, but not what you would want for a point and shoot.
Spada84
NoSofa!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.