Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: HDPDPLUS iPod Interface  (Read 24974 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
HDPDPLUS iPod Interface
« on: November 23, 2011, 11:56:47 AM »

We started carrying these units and documented the install for those interested.

First thing that is great about this unit is price, $299 retail and it is a complete kit. The HD unit runs $399 and if you do not have an ultra you need another $110 "non-Ultra" overlay harness to conneect it.

Install is almost all plug and play, Almost because the power and ground need to be connected into the harness. The kit comes with scotch lock type connectors for this but we did not use them and choose to solder the wires.

Here is a pics of What's in the box....

The Control Box, with harness attached
ipod cable
Male-Male adapter

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
Re: HDPDPLUS iPod Interface
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:59:41 AM »

The Control box sits atop the HK radio like the other HK add on modules. This bike is a 2011 CVO Ultra so both spots on top of the radio are occupied with the CB and XM modules. The unit still fits on top by rotating it 90 degrees and attaching it with Velcro (not included in the kit).

Here how it looks before the module install...

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 12:00:41 PM »

And after the module is mounted...

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 12:02:30 PM »

The 35 pin connector on the right of the back of the radio gets unplugged and turned under the radio to allow installation of the male-male adapter and the HDPDPLUS cable.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 12:04:04 PM »

Next connect the male-male adapter

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 12:04:52 PM »

.....and tuck back under the radio

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 12:06:43 PM »

Then connect the HDPDPLUS harness to the back of the radio and the other side to the male-male adapter..

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 12:09:21 PM »

Now to connect the power and ground we removed pins 19 (ground) and 20 (power) and spliced in the red and black leads from the HDPDPLUS harness.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 12:10:33 PM »

All solder and heat shrinked ....... pins back into place

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 12:11:11 PM »

Reconnect the harness and all done......

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 12:18:46 PM »

I did not show pics of the ipod harness install, this just plugs into the HDPDPLUS module and runs to a location of your choice. For this install we went into the tour pack.

The audio quality and quantity on this unit is better than the HD unit, it does not have reduced output volume like we have seen with the HD units.

The menu on the face of the radio is very easy to use and navigate with the bar controls and radio switches.

Couple of things that will be improved upon on future versions, The male-male adapter will be eliminated and the HDPDPLUS modified. This will free up some valuable real estate in the fairing.

The other item is a second plug / disconnect at the end of the ipod cable. This will allow the cable to be ran into the saddle bag and unplugged for bag removal.

All in all a great product and good price point for those wanting to add ipod control :2vrolijk_21:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 02:12:29 PM »

Jim, great install report...

I got my iPod interface from HD as soon as they were available and still wish playlists could be accessed by thumb controls over the soft HD radio buttons.

On the unit you installed, what functions are the HD radio buttons used for?

Maybe I can sell my unit to someone giving them a free install and buy one of the aftermarket ones if they are more convenient on the button usage.

Thanks again. 
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 02:48:56 PM »

Jim, great install report...

I got my iPod interface from HD as soon as they were available and still wish playlists could be accessed by thumb controls over the soft HD radio buttons.

On the unit you installed, what functions are the HD radio buttons used for?

Maybe I can sell my unit to someone giving them a free install and buy one of the aftermarket ones if they are more convenient on the button usage.

Thanks again. 

From the HDPDPLUS website......

http://onthemovetechnology.com/Documents/HDPDPLUS%20Inst%203-8.pdf

Handle bar controls
 Track+/Track- Quick press of UP/DN
 Playlist/Album/Artist+/ Playlist/Album/Artist- Press and Hold the UP/DN (the last soft key you pressed will be highlighted on the main screen. This is the function that press and hold will activate)
 Mode SEL. Will cycle through available audio sources

Radio Direct Controls:
 Soft Buttons 1-4 will allow you to access the following searches: Playlist, Artist, Album, Genre. Pressing any of these buttons will bring up a second screen that will allow you to seek up and down through these functions. Note: After 5 seconds of no button presses the radio will default to main screen
 Soft Button 5 will turn Random on and off: When random is in use it will display highlighted as shown below
 Soft Button 6 allows you to switch from Locked mode iPod® shows (Ok to disconnect) and unlocked mode. In unlocked mode you can still track up and down from the bikes controls or search and choose songs directly from you Apple® device. (Unlocked mode is not intended for use while in motion)

beechflyr

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: Flhtcuse6
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 06:43:29 PM »

When do you anticipate coming out with the mods you mentioned above?

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 06:59:27 PM »

I just bought and installed the HD unit. I was afraid to do any after market unit tied into the Harmon Kardon, because of any problem that might arise within the stock stereo or it's  components. I know from experience that  corporate Harley would  blame the problem on the aftermarket unit, and deny warranty coverage. I did not want to take any chances on my 7 year warranty. JMO. I certainly would have preferred the aftermarket unit, and could have used the saved money to buy more accessories.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 11:57:17 PM »

I just bought and installed the HD unit. I was afraid to do any after market unit tied into the Harmon Kardon, because of any problem that might arise within the stock stereo or it's  components. I know from experience that  corporate Harley would  blame the problem on the aftermarket unit, and deny warranty coverage. I did not want to take any chances on my 7 year warranty. JMO. I certainly would have preferred the aftermarket unit, and could have used the saved money to buy more accessories.
corporate harley has nothing to do with the extra 5 year warranty.  Only the first two are provided by the factory and need to be performed at a dealership . The extention is a third party and work can be done at any authorized repair facility. Even still the installation of an aftermarket part does not affect your warranty unless is directly causes the failure.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 12:02:18 AM »

When do you anticipate coming out with the mods you mentioned above?

I was told that  the next production run will have the cable mod at the unit. The ipod cable is coming in after the first of the year. Neither of these items are a deal breaker in my opinion.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 11:41:14 AM »

corporate harley has nothing to do with the extra 5 year warranty.  Only the first two are provided by the factory and need to be performed at a dealership . The extention is a third party and work can be done at any authorized repair facility. Even still the installation of an aftermarket part does not affect your warranty unless is directly causes the failure.

And it would be up to ME to prove that the aftermarket part did not cause the failure. Like I stated it is just MY opinion that it would be to easy for them to get out of a warranty claim.  Being an auto tech by trade, I have dealt with this type of thing many times over the years. I did not feel in my case, that it was worth the possibility of brain damage to me. It probably would never be an issue, but remember who is doing that warranty work.  Has anyone ever had any problems trying to get warranty work done at any Harley dealer?  Or is it just me?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:58:39 AM by 2harleys »

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 02:08:10 PM »

Props to the vendor for providing an alternative to HD's typically over-priced audio accessories.

And props to hd-dude for the pictures and installation information, especially the install above the CB and XM modules on the CVO Ultra.

A couple of observations:  (1) the current product with the male-male 35 wire connector is what's needed for HK radios w/o an existing 35 wire connector on the bike; i.e. OEM Street Glides, Electra Glide Classics, etc.; which excludes the CVO models, all of which have a 35 wire connector (28B) connected to the HK radio--on CVO bikes the current male-male connector adds an additional bundle of unnecessary wires; and, (2) on a CVO, no separately purchased harness is required for the HD Ipod accessory since the accessory includes a harness for installation--a separately purchased harness is only required for installation on bikes not equipped with the 35 wire connector, 28B connector (e.g. non-CVO Street Glides, Electra Glide Classics, etc.) and the harness is the $20, p/n 69200033--the $110 harness referenced by the OP isn't used for the HD Ipod accessory installation.

Iron Cross Audio did a side-by-side comparison of the aftermarket Ipod module with HD's module.  Contact Tony for details:

http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/ipod-harleydavidsonradio.html

Thanks, again, to hd-dude for the thread, pics, and information.

Carl   

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 11:05:12 PM »

I'm wonderin if To :2vrolijk_21:ny might post the side by side comparison info here .. ie... the volume loss on Moco unit in the ipod function ..thanx

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 11:43:54 AM »

do these guys have anything for gps interface kit?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 12:13:46 PM »

do these guys have anything for gps interface kit?

Not that I am aware of.

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 09 SERG Silver/Titanium
    • CVO2: 86 FLST
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 02:39:04 PM »

Had Jim install this for me last week...  GREAT add on for your bike!!  And as always, GREAT service from Jim.  :2vrolijk_21:

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »

Chuck .. how bout an on the scene report of the new version ?? of special interest is .. the volume issue in the ipod function and what did Jim do on getting it in the sbag ?? or where did you place the nano or phone ?? hope to get mine in next week .. Thanx  :2vrolijk_21:

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 05:23:46 PM »

Chuck .. how bout an on the scene report of the new version ?? of special interest is .. the volume issue in the ipod function and what did Jim do on getting it in the sbag ?? or where did you place the nano or phone ?? hope to get mine in next week .. Thanx  :2vrolijk_21:

Barefoot... was not aware of any volume issues. No problems with mine. One thing that that "might" seem odd if this is your first time using this type of device with Apple products... the volume output for all Apple devices using 3rd party items like this is the output volume is LOCKED on the iPod/iPhone/etc. Not sure that was your issue but this is SOP for Apple.

I mount my iPhone on the handle bars myself not in the bag as HD does. For me, I like having it in front of me since it's my phone. Jim did say the cable that comes with these kits are REALLY tight if you want to locate in the bag or TP but he has made it work just fine.

Here's a few photos of my RAM Mount for my phone and Garmin.

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 05:24:54 PM »

Closer shot of the phone location.

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 12:25:28 AM »

Thanx Chuck ..  I am lookin  forward to havin the xtra functions on the handlebars as well as not losing its place after setting without power for awhile..  also.. mine will go back in the sbag , as I am jus using the nano . wish they already had the connection back so as to be able to detach as easily as the OEM for removal of sbag for cleaning and such .. oh well . word is ... its in the worx..  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:29:19 AM by barefoot3zk5 »

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 09:49:43 AM »

I mounted my Nano with velcro inside the right hand lowers. Took lower apart to run cable thru next to chrome crash bar. Very clean install and barely noticeable where cable goes thru

dankwiz

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2011, 06:45:36 PM »

I purchased this unit for my 2009 CVO Ultra and was very impressed with the quality of it all.  Unfortunately, I elected to not install it as I am contemplating the purchase of a new bike.  I contacted Mark at HDPD and explained that I would like to return it.  He was more than willing to accommodate me.  Bottom line, he didn't have to take the return, he could have charged me a restock fee or he could have gave me the run around.  He did none of it.  I cannot tell you how impressed I am with him and his company.  He is the type of vendor we should all be supporting.

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2012, 11:23:22 AM »

Does anyone know what happens when you run out of space for the complete list of devices on the HK?

Currently mine is full but I want to add the HDPDPLUS iPod Interface... Mine looks like this:

AM               WB
FM               AUX
CD               XM

I did the rear AUX mod so now AUX is always displayed. So now I'm wondering where the "iPod" selection will show up on my radio display?

Does anyone know???
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 12:25:50 PM »

Does anyone know what happens when you run out of space for the complete list of devices on the HK?

Currently mine is full but I want to add the HDPDPLUS iPod Interface... Mine looks like this:

AM               WB
FM               AUX
CD               XM

I did the rear AUX mod so now AUX is always displayed. So now I'm wondering where the "iPod" selection will show up on my radio display?

Does anyone know???

As you scroll through the selections it will add another page.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 01:07:37 PM »

So now that some time has passed is everyone happy with the HDPDPLUS?
And have the updates of an additional disconnect and removal of the male plug been put into place?
I am thinking this is my next purchase and am looking to get some recent reviews.
Planning on an iphone for my music, and nav.
Thanks

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 09:18:21 PM »

As you scroll through the selections it will add another page.

Thanks hd-dude!

Any update on:

Couple of things that will be improved upon on future versions, The male-male adapter will be eliminated and the HDPDPLUS modified. This will free up some valuable real estate in the fairing.

The other item is a second plug / disconnect at the end of the ipod cable. This will allow the cable to be ran into the saddle bag and unplugged for bag removal.
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2012, 09:36:53 PM »

I'm curious about this update as well. Looks like they've been planning it for awhile but still nadda.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2012, 11:16:59 AM »

Does anybody know if the HDPDPlus module will plug in to the H-D cable?
I want to get one of these to play around with but it's not worth repacing the cabling from the fairing to the bag on my SESG2.

If the module will plug into the exisitng HD cable in the fairing, I plan on ordering one.

TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 11:20:28 AM »

Does anybody know if the HDPDPlus module will plug in to the H-D cable?
I want to get one of these to play around with but it's not worth repacing the cabling from the fairing to the bag on my SESG2.

If the module will plug into the exisitng HD cable in the fairing, I plan on ordering one.

Yes, it plugs between the radio and the harness on the bike.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2012, 11:55:36 AM »

Yes, it plugs between the radio and the harness on the bike.

Thanks, but I'm referring to the iPod interface cable from the fairing back to the saddlebag.
Not the harness from the module to the radio.

Both are mini-DIN connectors but I don't know the HDPDPlus will plug in to the HD cable (physical connection and/or pinouts the same).
I don't want to run new cabling back to the bag for the iPod.

Also, how are people installing a single cable from the fairing into the bag and still keeping the bag removeable?
TIF2

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2012, 03:19:44 PM »

Tiff .. it doesnt work with the OEM cable..it has one provided..  I routed mine to under the seat .. and it does fine..  :2vrolijk_21:

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2012, 03:24:11 PM »

^^

Thanks for the quick response.
Looks like I live with the bugs for now (and probably forever).

:)
TIF2

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2012, 03:31:22 PM »

We started carrying these units and documented the install for those interested.

Nice report Jim.  Thanks!  I'll put it on my to-do list of upgrades! 
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2012, 03:42:01 PM »

Thanks, but I'm referring to the iPod interface cable from the fairing back to the saddlebag.
Not the harness from the module to the radio.

Both are mini-DIN connectors but I don't know the HDPDPlus will plug in to the HD cable (physical connection and/or pinouts the same).
I don't want to run new cabling back to the bag for the iPod.

Also, how are people installing a single cable from the fairing into the bag and still keeping the bag removeable?

That's what I was wondering about as well (if I'm following you correctly). If I wanted to mount the iPod in the saddlebag, how do I make a quick connect and a small hole in the saddlebag with a grommet unless using the smaller din connector. I guess we could make a slot in the saddlebag and maybe use a modified drum brake inspection rubber piece. Maybe a company already has an oblong hole grommet. Not sure if that's a concern of yours , just one of mine. Wouldn't take that much though to cut the wiring and add our own din connectors but a lot less hastle if they did it during mfgr.
2007 Softail Custom

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2012, 07:29:14 PM »

Ordered my unit and it's on the way :2vrolijk_21:

I plan on putting the Ipod in one of the gloveboxes on the lowers since I usually just keep a disc lock and parking puck in there. If the cable does have a disconnect on the Ipod end so the saddle bag can be removed easily I might run it there. Either way will work for me on the UCSE6

The BSR is hopefull that the passenger channel control will let her skip songs on the playlists. I'm also going to investigate adding a volume control for her while the fairing is apart --- seems sometimes I play my music too loud  :nixweiss:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2012, 10:40:54 PM »

Ordered my unit and it's on the way :2vrolijk_21:

I plan on putting the Ipod in one of the gloveboxes on the lowers since I usually just keep a disc lock and parking puck in there. If the cable does have a disconnect on the Ipod end so the saddle bag can be removed easily I might run it there. Either way will work for me on the UCSE6

The BSR is hopefull that the passenger channel control will let her skip songs on the playlists. I'm also going to investigate adding a volume control for her while the fairing is apart --- seems sometimes I play my music too loud  :nixweiss:
C

That is where I put mine (lowers). Works great!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 10:44:31 PM by 2harleys »

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2012, 08:05:26 AM »

I too am wondering how the upgrades are coming, and any feedback on the units? The side by side comparison results would interest me as well.
Hawg

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2012, 08:29:11 AM »

I too am wondering how the upgrades are coming, and any feedback on the units? The side by side comparison results would interest me as well.

I contacted them direct..

From: ContactUs@email.microsoftonline.com [ContactUs@email.microsoftonline.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2012 8:01 PM
To: Mark Smith
Subject: A message from Robert Waller

You have received the following message through the Contact Us form on your Web site:

I have a 2011 H-D FLHTCUSE it has everything except the iPod. Harley started putting them in this bike in 2012. I would like to get one of these units but was told that in July you would be releasing the second gerneration unit that will have cleaned up the wiring harness. With the CB Radio and the H-D XM Radio on top of the H.K. Radio, it doesn't leave much room.

When will the new unit be available?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Bob.  The 2nd gen. interface will have longer wires between the female and new male end.  By having a male end made eliminated the gender changer box that has caused problems for some installations.  We are expecting to have the new units by the first week of Aug.

Thank You

Mark

Take Control of Your iPod

On The Move Technology

2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »

Oh hey, I was just going to post up the same thing as I had recently received an email from Mark. This new interface should be the chit!

Jim, would you be interested in a group purchase?
2007 Softail Custom

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2012, 10:49:32 PM »

Ummm, I deleted my post here. This is Jim's thread and here I am bringing up other purchase options. We could probably bring up another thread for the new version but maybe we should delete them in a thread where a fellow has provided instructions and given us photos for installation. Sorry about that Jim and thank you for the info.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:11:56 PM by CVOThunder »
2007 Softail Custom

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2012, 12:48:14 AM »

No worries. And yes if there is enough interest i can do a group purchase. I already offer a discount on these units as well.

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2012, 01:01:52 AM »

I'd go for the HDPDPLUS II if we get enough folks.
2007 Softail Custom

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2012, 08:34:04 AM »

You've got my attention... :2vrolijk_21:
Hawg

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2012, 09:16:35 AM »

+1
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2012, 02:05:02 PM »

Anyone else interested in the new interface? As mentioned it should be available around the first week of August and from what I understand it eliminates the black gender box and has better cable options to reach the saddlebag (if that's your intended location). Just trying to generate some interest in the interim and drum up some business and savings for all parties. Maybe by being proactive on this we'll see some literature from Mark or those selling the product. Just bumping the thread I reckon.
2007 Softail Custom

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2012, 02:30:28 PM »

Depending on the cost I might be interested to replace the HD version I ave, since one of the release buttons has broken.  HD wants $135 for just the replacement cable.

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2012, 06:10:30 PM »

Anyone else interested in the new interface? As mentioned it should be available around the first week of August and from what I understand it eliminates the black gender box and has better cable options to reach the saddlebag (if that's your intended location). Just trying to generate some interest in the interim and drum up some business and savings for all parties. Maybe by being proactive on this we'll see some literature from Mark or those selling the product. Just bumping the thread I reckon.

@CVOThunder

It might be better if we start a NEW Thread entitled Group Buy Discount on HDPDPLUS iPod Interface.. Some that may be interested are ignoring this older thread.. We could add a link here to the new thread for the group-buy
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2012, 07:44:59 PM »

I am interested.
But only on the most updated version.

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2012, 08:05:01 PM »

I have he current version and love it ... otherwise , i would be interested.. AND FWIW .. i recommend it over the OEM from MOCO..

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »

@CVOThunder

It might be better if we start a NEW Thread entitled Group Buy Discount on HDPDPLUS iPod Interface.. Some that may be interested are ignoring this older thread.. We could add a link here to the new thread for the group-buy

Probably not a bad idea. We do have two people here that sell these, Jim and Iron Cross but I wonder if it would be a conflict if I created a special thread for it? Maybe it would be best if the selling party created the thread. Otherwise I'd be creating a thread without a supporting vendor and I wouldn't have pricing to inform people. I'm guessing the two fellows would get together and hash that out but maybe I'm wrong. I'm open to a PM if Jim or Iron Cross want to contact me and I'll get a new thread created. Chances are that people are seeing this thread pop up and would understand that something new is happening but maybe a new name would pique their interest.
2007 Softail Custom

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2012, 10:10:50 PM »

That makes sense.. I think we have some interest here and I would like to support the vendors that have help us out.

Waiting on the new thread from the Vendor . . .
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2012, 11:11:13 PM »

I talked to Mark during the week and he confirmed the new cable system is coming but does not yet have a firm date. It seems like most interested parties want to wait for the new cable system so when it is availible I will start a group buy thread with pricing info.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2012, 12:01:32 AM »

I already have the HD iPod interface module installed in my '09 SERK, got one of the first ones available.

I'm not unhappy with the HD module and have the cable run into my right side inner fairing glove box, very convenient.

What advantage would there be to me jumping ship and changing to the HDPDPLUS interface module?

I'm not worried about the money so much as function and consistent operation.

So why would I change, or wouldn't I want to now that I'm setup with the HD unit?

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2012, 12:53:03 AM »

Sounds good Jim, standing by.

Dan, the 2 big things steering me to the HDPDPLUS were the lower cost and then I was reading about functionality. From what I recall the H-D branded unit drops off line at times and then it restarts from the beginning when you restart the bike. The HDPDLUS unit shuts off and then restarts with the last song played. It's been awhile since I researched it so someone let me know if I misunderstand the problems.

Not sure if it would be worth it in your situation since you've covered the cost. Do you notice that the ipod has to restart from the beginning when you fire back up? Low audio levels were another thing mentioned but I read about an increase in output levels by converting MP3 songs to native iPod AAC files and shutting down the volume limiter. I can see how the volume limiter would cause problems but I just downloaded a converter and will see what happens when I update my iPod. Unfortunately the laptop I was using died and I'm hesitant to erase my Nano at this time. Not much to go on for ya, but maybe that'll help a bit.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=75527.0
2007 Softail Custom

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2012, 08:09:39 AM »

I have an early interface. I have definitely noticed the low volume, freezing and starts songs over. In addition, if I select a static playlist (not smart one that automatically changes songs), it ALWAYS starts from the same song.

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2012, 05:31:42 PM »

I have an early interface. I have definitely noticed the low volume, freezing and starts songs over. In addition, if I select a static playlist (not smart one that automatically changes songs), it ALWAYS starts from the same song.

Steve, I'm a bit slow. Are you talking about the H-D brand interface or the original aftermarket HDPDPLUS version? Since I had mentioned close to the same thing to Dan, I'm thinking you mean the H-D branded interface. Just want to make sure I'm squared away with your meaning.

If the HDPDPLUS was doing this...I'd be really bummed out. Hopefully Mark wouldn't let something like that remain in later production runs or the next gen. Thanks!
2007 Softail Custom

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »

Definitely talking about the HD Brand Interface.

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2012, 05:40:36 PM »

Roger that, thanks Steve.
2007 Softail Custom

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2012, 12:01:40 PM »

I talked to Mark during the week and he confirmed the new cable system is coming but does not yet have a firm date. It seems like most interested parties want to wait for the new cable system so when it is availible I will start a group buy thread with pricing info.

Jim, is it just the cable or the entire module thats getting updated?
Doug
Hawg

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2012, 01:06:04 PM »

One quick thought...

I've got an iPod hardwired to the HK radio, and it worked great sitting in my Riders Claw. However, the 30-pin connector has worn out after a year, and now this hardwired angle is not so attractive. For whatever reason, all of these generic connectors are just not the same quality as the Apple deals.  When they start going, you'll either loose the charging or a channel will start crackling in and out at every bump, eventually loosing everything. Wiggling the connector and contact cleaner will help for a while but I'm sensing this could turn into a royal PITA having to get these hard wires replaced every year or so, especially if you have to remove and ship the radio everytime.

My thinking is, why don't these kit guys come out of the harness or radio with a female USB lead?  This way, when the connector wears out, you just get a new USB to 30-Pin cable which are cheap and available anywhere.  Just heat shrink the USB connectors together under the fairing and replace once a year for $10 or as necessary, without having to send out the harness or radio?

I heard about just getting a 30 pin male to female extension, but a USB to USB is much stronger and will last forever, and allows using a very common 30pin to male USB that are sold on every city block.

Thoughts?

2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »

It would be interesting to see what you have ... any pics?
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2012, 01:21:10 PM »

One quick thought...

I've got an iPod hardwired to the HK radio, and it worked great sitting in my Riders Claw. However, the 30-pin connector has worn out after a year, and now this hardwired angle is not so attractive. For whatever reason, all of these generic connectors are just not the same quality as the Apple deals.  When they start going, you'll either loose the charging or a channel will start crackling in and out at every bump, eventually loosing everything. Wiggling the connector and contact cleaner will help for a while but I'm sensing this could turn into a royal PITA having to get these hard wires replaced every year or so, especially if you have to remove and ship the radio everytime.

My thinking is, why don't these kit guys come out of the harness or radio with a female USB lead?  This way, when the connector wears out, you just get a new USB to 30-Pin cable which are cheap and available anywhere.  Just heat shrink the USB connectors together under the fairing and replace once a year for $10 or as necessary, without having to send out the harness or radio?

I heard about just getting a 30 pin male to female extension, but a USB to USB is much stronger and will last forever, and allows using a very common 30pin to male USB that are sold on every city block.

Thoughts?

That makes total sense  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 06:59:40 AM by Hawg »
Hawg

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2012, 02:47:15 PM »

We'll see what comes to confirm the upgrade but I do believe that is coming with the upgrade. A cable and connector from the fairing towards the back with a cable connection and ipod style connector on the other end. Sure hope I'm not wrong cuz that's the big reason I'm waiting for the upgrade. I hope to put the cable connection under the seat and then run the pigtail from there to the bag.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:50:11 PM by CVOThunder »
2007 Softail Custom

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2012, 03:41:17 PM »

Yeah I think we're all hoping for the quick disconnect between the seat and the saddlebag like the H-D version.

I'm hoping for a little more length (not much) to make it to the tourpac. The bags come off occasionally, the tourpac NEVER!!

2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

gabhart

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2012, 10:52:10 PM »

Count me in on version 2.0!
Fullsac X-Pipe "B", TTS Mastertune, Rinehart Slip-ons, full LED conversion

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2012, 07:04:47 AM »

I inquired and this is what I received...
"The software and operation is the same for the HDPDPLUS and the new HDPSPLUS II.  The difference is the elimination of the gernder changer box needed for bikes with a CB, XM, or Nav.  The new one will make it easier to install for those bikes.  The other differences are the reverse polarity protecton, that protects the unit if the power and ground are connected backwards, and continuous charging when iPod is not selected.  The new cord will be shorter, and will not reach the saddle back or tour pak, but we now have a new cable that can be purchased separately for that installation."
Hawg

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2012, 09:58:17 AM »

Well, I guess I will mount it in the (locking) Lowers. That was my second choice. I'll have to ty-wrap the cord to the engine guard  ???
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

gabhart

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2012, 10:07:11 AM »

I inquired and this is what I received...
"The software and operation is the same for the HDPDPLUS and the new HDPSPLUS II.  The difference is the elimination of the gernder changer box needed for bikes with a CB, XM, or Nav.  The new one will make it easier to install for those bikes.  The other differences are the reverse polarity protecton, that protects the unit if the power and ground are connected backwards, and continuous charging when iPod is not selected.  The new cord will be shorter, and will not reach the saddle back or tour pak, but we now have a new cable that can be purchased separately for that installation."

Sounds like they are taking the same marketing courses as HD. Now we will need to spend more money to get a cord long enough for the tour pak/saddle bag!

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2012, 10:10:18 AM »

I sure hope it reachs the Lowers.. or I'm gonna be ticked!!
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2012, 10:18:49 PM »

I hope it at least reaches the lowers or I'd stick with the first gen. I don't mind taking the tank off to run the main cable for the initial install and then running the second cable from the seat location to the TP or saddlebag. That should make the first cable long enough to reach the lockable lowers. I just don't want to have to remove the tank more than once for that particular installation. We're all just guessing at this point in time but I hope we get some info soon. As long as a satisfactory option is available by mid August is my goal.
2007 Softail Custom

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2012, 06:56:44 PM »

Jim,

Are you ready to start the "Group Buy" thread or have I missed it?

Bob~
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2012, 07:52:41 PM »

Jim,

Are you ready to start the "Group Buy" thread or have I missed it?

Bob~

Didn't miss it and have not started it...Give me a call if interested @ 510-885-9471 and we'll get you set up with a deal.

gabhart

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2012, 10:00:48 PM »

Comes with a 3 1/2 foot cable. The extension cable to make it to the saddle bags is another $70! Ouch.

RGLIDE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »

Has anyone else been having problems out of the HDPLUS system. I purchased 2 systems in 2011 for both of our 2009 SERG and hooked them up per instructions. The problem is that it skips songs,changes playlist while playing another songlist. Repeats like 4 song over and over. The switch on the handlebar will not work  all the time like scrolling music. I've played both Ipods in our car and they both work fine. So I know its not the Ipods themselves. I even switched the wiring on the 32 bit connector per instruction. I don't know what to do next to fix them we liked them when that work right!

RGLIDE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2013, 11:16:42 AM »

Both systems are doing the same thing !!

Ultrablue

« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2013, 12:16:44 PM »

I'm sure you know this, but a standard iPod won't work on a bike since it uses a "hard drive" and the vibrations make it skip.  I tried my original iPod and had the same problem.  I switched to a nano and the problem was solved.  My standard iPod (the one from the bike) worked fine in my car as well.

RGLIDE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2013, 12:33:51 PM »

Yes both of or IPods are Nano's. When we changed to Nanos the skipping issue was solved now we have all these other issues!!!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2013, 02:04:43 PM »

Hey HD Dude, I finally learned how to use all the buttons on the HD Plus unit and I love it. Works great and sounds so much better than the sd card tunes coming out of my Gps.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2013, 07:44:01 PM »

I've had mine for a year with no issues, three of my buds also have one and no issues. Since you are having the same issue on both bikes I wouls only assume its the ipod.
Hawg
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 21 queries.