Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Friggin' Gas friggin' Gauge  (Read 3321 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Friggin' Gas friggin' Gauge
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 10:09:22 AM »

I've been gone for a while,  and just wanted to pipe in here.........The MoCo has NEVER made a gas gauge worth a sh$t.  I've owned several over the years....and NONE of them have been accurate.  

Lesson here:  Use the Odometer

_Beags

BTW:   Hey fellas,  it's good to be back!!!
Matt,
Good to see you. Speaking of "back" how's yours doing?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 10:16:05 AM »

I've been gone for a while,  and just wanted to pipe in here.........The MoCo has NEVER made a gas gauge worth a sh$t.  I've owned several over the years....and NONE of them have been accurate.  

Lesson here:  Use the Odometer
_Beags
BTW:   Hey fellas,  it's good to be back!!!

Damn Beags, you have no idea how good it is to see your post.  I know I sure missed seeing them here.  Welcome back, hope all is well.  Rog

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 11:00:41 AM »

Thanks fellas,
   The back is great (and I mean great.....).  I'm walking under my own power these days,  I'm completely off all the narcotics (and that's a big deal since taking them for the last three years).  I feel great!  I'm still takingit easy these days (no lifting etc....kinda makes me feel like a pussy though when I go to Home Depot and have to ask someone to load some bags of topsoil in my car,  but what the hell).  I'm looking forward to a little putt this weekend (BB and I went the week before last...just out to the coast and back...I think I was smiling until Wednesday).  All in all I'm very happy with the outcome of the surgery.  Now maybe I can get some ridin' in.

_Beags
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 11:03:25 AM »

Thanks fellas,
   The back is great (and I mean great.....).  I'm walking under my own power these days,  I'm completely off all the narcotics (and that's a big deal since taking them for the last three years).  I feel great!  I'm still takingit easy these days (no lifting etc....kinda makes me feel like a pussy though when I go to Home Depot and have to ask someone to load some bags of topsoil in my car,  but what the hell).  I'm looking forward to a little putt this weekend (BB and I went the week before last...just out to the coast and back...I think I was smiling until Wednesday).  All in all I'm very happy with the outcome of the surgery.  Now maybe I can get some ridin' in.

_Beags

That's great since the first hours were a bit rocky.  Glad to hear it's going well. :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 11:22:26 AM »

150 miles and my pucker factor starts going up exponentially.  I don't think I've ever put more than 4.7 gallons in the bike at a gas stop, and that was after sweating it trying to find a place off a Toll Road in Florida...thank goodness for the GPS that time.  Pushing one of these things is not an option.

My gauge seems to operate like everyone elses...100+ miles to 1/2, then plummets.  The best I can get out of mine as configured is 37/38 and usually it's around the 35 mark.

Glad you made it to the pump, Rog, even if you had to walk it there.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 11:25:13 AM »

Thanks fellas,

_Beags

Glad to hear you're up and about, Beags.  Let the young bucks load the heavy stuff...it's not worth hurting yourself again.  Keep up the good work, and start enjoying those new cams!!!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 11:26:01 AM »

Thanks fellas,

_Beags
That's great do hear. :2vrolijk_21: I can definitely relate to being off the narcotics can remember in my younger years I would be happy to get some strong prescription narcotics much different when you have to depend on them to be pain free. In regards to the heavy lifting I got the same instructions from my Doc, and I told him as long as I can lift my wife's..... Well you get the picture. ;) I don't let it bother me in the least to tell people that I can't lift heavy things anymore I'm just glad not being in pain anymore. Glad you're able to get back in the wind I know it has definitely helped me. Take care.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 08:05:05 PM »

Thanks fellas,

_Beags
Beags,
Great to hear you're doing so well.  Take it easy and try to do what the doc tells you. 
Be safe,
Tony

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 08:35:04 PM »

I have the skull gauge with the light up teeth. It has 6 choppers 5 blue and 1 red. When I have 2 choppers left I start looking for fuel cuz when they go dark they go quick to red and not much life left with one glowing red chicklet.  :bananarock:  I think I'm a savant or something, maybe just the kid who took the short bus to school. Later,Q :huepfenlol2:
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 08:36:40 PM »

Thanks fellas,

_Beags
I love hearing that Matt. Go out be safe take care of yourself and get some riding in. L&R,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2007, 10:15:12 PM »

Thanks for the capacity test!
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2007, 11:25:44 PM »

Thanks for the capacity test!

No problem Bill, they actually print it right on the Spec sheet.

DIMENSIONS   U.S. UNITS
 Length   96.7 in.

Seat Height   

Laden   28.1 in.

Unladen   29.3 in.

Ground Clearance   6.0 in.

Rake Steering Head/Trail   26.0º / 6.2 in.

Wheelbase   63.5 in.

Fuel Capacity   5.0 gals.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2007, 11:31:21 PM »

Fuel Capacity   5.0 gals.

A long time ago there was a thread in which some asked how much fuel had actually been poured in relative to the stated spec.  I'd run dry once and done (I think) 5.4-something.  Think I remember the largest volume reported as being 5.53. 

Whatever the hundredths might have been the general concensus was that a completely empty tank would take right around 5.5 gallons.  When rolling down the road though I still always count mileage against a five gallon limit.  My idiot light (when you can see it) is pretty consistent coming on with about one real gallon left in the tank also.  So the extra .4-.5 above five gallons is my emergency reserve I try never to actually get down to.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2007, 07:44:33 AM »

I ran out of gas in April of 05, riding with Lugnut (John) from New York, on our way to Patriot HD to meet ThatRhinoGuy and Scrrem.  I tried to push the bike up the off ramp, got back straddle the saddle quickly when I found out just how heavy this bike is, and sloshed it a bit, and was able to get it to start back up and limp into the pumps.  The engine quit on the way to the pump and I coasted up to one.  John put the gas in for me, as I had gotten all flustered over the whole ordeal and didn't know what I was doing for some reason, but he put in a total of 4.473 gallons.  I've actually run out another time leaving the tuner - I had not calculated the amount a gas used up in a dyno tune - and it not adding miles to the odometer.  Ran out on the hiway, and one of those Oh So Nice Motor Assist Policemen, gave me a gallon which helped me get to the next exit and gas. 

Never trust the gas gauge again.  I have gotten mine repaired and it seems to do something, it just doesn't tell you how much gas you have.  Maybe it is a Up Yours HD wave from the MoCo to the customers.   :cherry:

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2007, 09:53:41 AM »

I have gotten mine repaired and it seems to do something, it just doesn't tell you how much gas you have.  Maybe it is a Up Yours HD wave from the MoCo to the customers.   :cherry:

You may be onto something there Candy.  Something like Mr and Mrs MoCo are doing.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 24 queries.