Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Friggin' Gas friggin' Gauge  (Read 3338 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Friggin' Gas friggin' Gauge
« on: May 15, 2007, 11:31:10 PM »

Ran my ass right out of gas today.

Damn gas gauge is worthless and I had such a good ride to work I didn't check it when I got to town, knew I was marginal when I left home for a 63 mile ride to work and just slipped my mind.

Trip odo was 198 when it ran out.

Now for the only good news about it, I was literally turning into the gas station and coasted within 5 feet of the pump island.

But as we have posted here before the fuel warning light on these pigs is worthless.

Oh well, what ends well can't be all bad.

What a great day in the Northwest, 70's and clear.  Rain tomorrow.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
Re: Friggin' Gas friggin' Gauge
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 11:36:24 PM »

Damn gas gauge is worthless and I had such a good ride to work I didn't check it when I got to town, knew I was marginal when I left home for a 63 mile ride to work and just slipped my mind.

Now for the only good news about it, I was literally turning into the gas station and coasted within 5 feet of the pump island.

But as we have posted here before the fuel warning light on these pigs is worthless.

oops!!!!! :nervous:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 11:36:45 PM »

Just out of curiosity how many gallons did you put back in it to fill it up?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 11:37:22 PM »

Great day to ride!

HD gas gauges are a bad joke.  The fuel warning lights are worse than that.

At least you were not stranded.  Had the same thing happen - once - on the RK.  I figure 1/4 of a tank is the same as empty now, even though it's not.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 12:04:41 AM »

I have never relied on the guage, I always use the odometer. Mine takes about 100 miles to get to half tank then falls like a rock for the next 50 or so.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 12:12:09 AM »

Just out of curiosity how many gallons did you put back in it to fill it up?
 :pumpkin:Ride Safe,Fired00d  :fireman:

Gary, I wondered if anyone would ask 5.23 gallons.  I think it was really out.  I may have been able to slosh a couple of blocks out of it but I imagine I would have been walking soon.  It literally died when I pulled the clutch in to down shift while coasting into the left lane and I realized it immediately and just pointed it across the traffic lanes and into the gas station.

Very fortunate to have looked at the trip odo when I fired it up.  These sunny days you never see the reserve light.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 12:14:54 AM »

I have never relied on the guage, I always use the odometer. Mine takes about 100 miles to get to half tank then falls like a rock for the next 50 or so.

My POS gauge is the same way, at least 100 to half and then fall quickly, I think what happens then is I get on it and it's half at home and on the freeway it gets to a quarter or so and hangs there regardless of if you are hauling ass or not.  When you stop and restart it is then pegged on empty.

I haven't usually let it get past 175 miles and then only out of necessity.  I guess in the 190's is pushing it :huepfenjump3:

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 12:26:37 AM »

My POS gauge is the same way, at least 100 to half and then fall quickly, I think what happens then is I get on it and it's half at home and on the freeway it gets to a quarter or so and hangs there regardless of if you are hauling ass or not.  When you stop and restart it is then pegged on empty.

I haven't usually let it get past 175 miles and then only out of necessity.  I guess in the 190's is pushing it :huepfenjump3:

LOL, I am sweating it when I hit 150-160, have never pushed it that far :o. You must have been babying the throttle to get 190 out of it.....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 12:36:15 AM »

Before the engine work and ignition system change I was regularly seeing 40 mpg, sometimes a bit more but almost never less.  So in a pinch knew that 200 mile tanks were realistic if absolutely necessary.  Current mileage is 35-ish.  So allowing for reserve and counting only a five gallon fuel load I start looking at around 125 with plans to fill up anywhere between there and 150.  Cause if I hit 175 I'd be pushing it.  Never use the gauge though. 

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 12:46:50 AM »

LOL, I am sweating it when I hit 150-160, have never pushed it that far :o. You must have been babying the throttle to get 190 out of it.....

Well I wasn't hammering it, but since I had totally forgotten about it on the way into work I was set on the cruise around 78 with occasionally run ups to avoid getting stuck in the slow lane, I love the way our bikes pull and hit 85-90 quickly. 

Anyway, it is about a mile to the gas station from work and that is just what she gave me......minus the five feet.

Just clean livin' I'm sure.  It will be a long time before I test it again, even if by mistake.

Come to think of it though I got some 200 plus runs on it down in Wyoming and Colorado last year on the CC run.  That was darn good gas and the altitude didn't hurt obviously.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 04:04:05 AM »

Come to think of it though I got some 200 plus runs on it down in Wyoming and Colorado last year on the CC run.  That was darn good gas and the altitude didn't hurt obviously.

Rog, I was seeing 50 mpg while we were there.  Ran one tank 236 and still put in just less than 5 gallon.  Filled mine up once to 5.5 so that tank still had a few miles left in it.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 06:46:48 AM »

Roger-

Glad you weren't walking.  My light is normally blocked by the speedo needle and like HD-Dude said, you think you're getting 100 miles to the gallon as it stays on full so long and then drops like a rock from there.  I start looking at 150 miles on the tripmeter if I'm local.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 09:18:14 AM »

Rog, I was seeing 50 mpg while we were there.  Ran one tank 236 and still put in just less than 5 gallon.  Filled mine up once to 5.5 so that tank still had a few miles left in it.

I figured I could slosh it around a bit and get a couple of miles out of it, just happy I didn't need to.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 10:04:34 AM »

The tank slosh thing works sometimes. I'd rather fill up at 1/4 tank or so.

Never got more than 50 mpg on the RK when it was stock.  Best mpg on the SEULTRA was maybe 45 when stock.

Never got 200 miles out of a tank of gas in a Harley. Been told I like the throtttle by more than a couple of people.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 10:05:47 AM »

I've been gone for a while,  and just wanted to pipe in here.........The MoCo has NEVER made a gas gauge worth a sh$t.  I've owned several over the years....and NONE of them have been accurate.  

Lesson here:  Use the Odometer

_Beags

BTW:   Hey fellas,  it's good to be back!!!
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 24 queries.