Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Cracked rear head pipe (stock)  (Read 9095 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Cracked rear head pipe
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2005, 08:01:09 AM »

Yet another thread gone astray. [smiley=beerchug.gif]

BadAss2

• Senior CVO Member
  • 14 years and still got her
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2005, 11:55:42 AM »

Well guys and gals. Mine just cracked as well. 6000Km(3600miles). My Harley D shop has to order it in. My tech. told me it's common on Dressers if you don't use silicone on the rear rubber mounts on the mufflers. Lubricating these seems to allow for easier expansion movement of everything. Don't know if I agree. These engines do produce a lot of heat and my pipes are quite blue.
FLHTCSE2 Candy Cherry
6 speed tranny,regeared primary and secondary,
SE slip on pipes, K&M Kit, remap ECM
Chrome - inner primary, starter, front calipers, thunderstar sprocket, headlamp and signal light trim, all chrome bolt kits
L

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2005, 07:13:40 PM »

have you ever heard your bike chirp while idling? Thats the floating exhaust rubbing in the rubber block. If you put  your foot on the muffler it stops.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2005, 09:34:51 PM »

OK, I think I know the answer to this one [smiley=dunce2.gif], but here goes . . . . .  Should I be able to feel air moving directly behind the rear cylinder?!?

I got the rear head pipe replaced last week, but there is still hot air coming off that area and it is not just the heat radiating off the pipe.  I don't see any cracks, but it seems as if it may be coming from under the left heat shield which is maybe why.  

« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 09:35:20 PM by 103tHunDer »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2005, 10:06:02 PM »

OK, I think I know the answer to this one [smiley=dunce2.gif], but here goes . . . . .  Should I be able to feel air moving directly behind the rear cylinder?!?

I got the rear head pipe replaced last week, but there is still hot air coming off that area and it is not just the heat radiating off the pipe.  I don't see any cracks, but it seems as if it may be coming from under the left heat shield which is maybe why.  

What are you suspecting Brian.  Replacement with a used pipe that had been previously welded and didn't hold or a new pipe that split so quickly or an exhaust leak at the cylinder that just feels like it's "blowing" down behind the heat shield?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2005, 10:09:13 PM »

103ThunDer........you must have the new, improved header pipe w/ the self-contained rear cylinder cooling option.  Damn, how'd you swing that?  I'm still waiting for my replacement pipe from BUB in California.  Finally got a tracking # and it should be here tomorrow or Sat.  I really don't think you should be feeling any air circulating back there unless you got a leak....it must be too small to hear, but you still feel the air, huh?      [smiley=confused5.gif]    spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2005, 11:04:05 PM »

What are you suspecting Brian.  Replacement with a used pipe that had been previously welded and didn't hold or a new pipe that split so quickly or an exhaust leak at the cylinder that just feels like it's "blowing" down behind the heat shield?

2lane, the pipe was definitely a brand new, unused piece.  Looked like chrome when I picked it up (but has sinced blued somewhat).  I am guessing the POS either cracked already, was defective to begin with, or perhaps (as I think you're eluding to), a poor seat at the head/gasket which is leaking and blowing down the pipe.  Guess I won't know until I take the heat shield off this weekend.  It was on crooked, anyway. [smiley=furious.gif]

Spyder, yep, feels just like what I could feel coming out of the visible crack I previously had, just in a different place.

[smiley=zwtf.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2005, 10:27:38 PM »

103tHunDer.........what's the verdict on your cracked??? rear header pipe?  Is it is or is it ain't?   I just got my new Rienhart pipe on today....it's been that long.....remember it cracked at Myrtle Beach.  A 'screw-up' with the shipping of the replacement from Calif., but finally!  Now, I'm hoping that this one will not crack or at least last for another 26 thousand miles or so before it does.  What a bitch changing that pipe out....dang heat shield just doesn't want to cooperate, huh?  I forgot, Brian, do you have Rienharts or the Freedoms???  [smiley=confused5.gif]    spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2005, 10:30:45 PM »

Hey Spyder

Tried to take off the left side heat sheild on the Freedoms and OMG what a pain. [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]

Finally had to remove to whole pipe to get the heat shield off. [smiley=furious.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2005, 10:48:55 PM »

Hey Spyder

Tried to take off the left side heat sheild on the Freedoms and OMG what a pain. [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]

Finally had to remove to whole pipe to get the heat shield off. [smiley=furious.gif]

Same here.  Ended up scratching the front of the muffler getting the heat shield off..... [smiley=furious.gif]  But at least I'm riding again.  Heading to China Grove tomorrow to pick up a buddy and then on to the Smokies for a weekend of riding!     [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]  Har!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] Har!  [smiley=beerchug.gif] Har!  [smiley=lost.gif]  spyder
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 11:14:10 PM by 103tHunDer »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2005, 11:13:06 PM »

103tHunDer.........what's the verdict on your cracked??? rear header pipe?  Is it is or is it ain't? . . .  I forgot, Brian, do you have Rienharts or the Freedoms???  [smiley=confused5.gif]    spyder

Spyder, I have the stock head pipes and slip-ons.  You know, the good-lookin' slash-up kind. [smiley=laugh.gif]  The y-pipe that comes directly off the rear head was replaced a couple of weeks ago under warranty.  Now there is a leak where the left-side pipes joins that one, I suppose because it was re-used and the heat from the last 8,700 miles had permanently shaped it beyond its ability to form to the virgin head pipe. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Anyway, rather than screw around trying to fix that stock POS setup, I'm strongly considering a Screamin' Eagle Pro 2-into-1 setup.  Stock pipes crack, Rineharts crack, hopefully, 2-into-1 won't crack. [smiley=confused5.gif]

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2005, 11:17:39 PM »

Now 103T

I haven't heard of any Freedoms cracking.

But, alas, they don't offer that slash up option! [smiley=idea2.gif]

Hmmmmm, wonder if there's a reason? [smiley=lipsrsealed2.gif]

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2005, 11:21:43 PM »

Now 103T

I haven't heard of any Freedoms cracking.

But, alas, they don't offer that slash up option! [smiley=idea2.gif]

Hmmmmm, wonder if there's a reason? [smiley=lipsrsealed2.gif]

My Freedom's cracked at the weld for the starter bracket clamp. From the looks of it it was a cold weld. This happened a few weeks ago with only about 1500 miles on the pipe. I found the crack on a Sunday, called them Monday and had a new pipe on my doorstep Tuesday. Great service!

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2005, 11:25:15 PM »

OH yeah, that's right.

[smiley=oops.gif] sorry hd-dude!

I took my pipe off to make that mount a rubber mount.

I see that area as a weak spot in the Rineharts and the Freedom pipes.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 11:32:46 PM by hd2003-se2005 »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2005, 11:25:51 PM »

Chip,  [smiley=sauer019.gif] [smiley=sauer021.gif] [smiley=sauer024.gif]

[smiley=zroflmao.gif]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.