Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Best shocks for CVO Road Glide for comfortable ride  (Read 10676 times)

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
Best shocks for CVO Road Glide for comfortable ride
« on: November 13, 2013, 01:30:05 PM »

I am trying to determine what shocks are going to give me the best ride for two up.I have read much on here but most seems focused on handling or air ride to lower the bike.Not really concerned about handling as I don't do the twisties fast on this toy.my wife is to the point she is finding excuses not to ride because of the harshness over bumps.I had a 2003 Heritage softail with stock suspension that she was fine with but even after adjusting these shocks from softest to firmest she still finds the ride objectionable.If you guys can't help I may be back on a heritage to get her to ride again!Yes I have already tried the second bike thing but that is OUT as I have already had explained to me in no uncertain terms. :o  I understand pipes and performance mods are at your discretion
but didn't expect to go backwards on ride quality at this price point in the Harley lineup!
T-MAN 117 kit

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: Best shocks for CVO Road Glide for comfortable ride
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 02:03:35 PM »

I am trying to determine what shocks are going to give me the best ride for two up.I have read much on here but most seems focused on handling or air ride to lower the bike.Not really concerned about handling as I don't do the twisties fast on this toy.my wife is to the point she is finding excuses not to ride because of the harshness over bumps.I had a 2003 Heritage softail with stock suspension that she was fine with but even after adjusting these shocks from softest to firmest she still finds the ride objectionable.If you guys can't help I may be back on a heritage to get her to ride again!Yes I have already tried the second bike thing but that is OUT as I have already had explained to me in no uncertain terms. :o  I understand pipes and performance mods are at your discretion
but didn't expect to go backwards on ride quality at this price point in the Harley lineup!
I have no idea how your CVO RG can ride harsher then a Heritage softail that makes no sense? Stupid question but you do know you can adjust your rear suspension for the amount of weight with 2 up and gear correct? My wife and I throw on the tour pak and saddlemen bag and weight the bike down, click the rear shocks to about a 12 setting and she rides smooth as a baby's butt?

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 02:21:20 PM »

Part of the problem with the SERG's ride comfort is the lowered rear suspension. The shorter the shock absorber, the less travel it has, and the "stiffer" (harder to compress) the shock has to be to avoid bottoming out (reaching the end of its travel). The stiffness is felt immediately in the harsher ride, and the shock doesn't absorb the larger bumps as well as one with softer springs and more travel.

The second part of the problem is the cheap-azz HD stock shocks; they're the cheapest HD could get that (usually) last just over 2 years and about 5000 miles.

So the starting point is to get longer shocks from a quality company: Progressive Suspension, Works Performance, Ohlins, Bilstein, and so on.  For the front forks, Progressive Suspension and Traxxion Dynamics make quality replacements that ride and handle much better--and really help with the brake dive.

These links are to recent threads about rear air shocks and front monotubes, but they contain other good shock info.  Midnight Rider provides good info about Traxxion Dynamics and the Legend air suspension so check these and his previous posts:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=89426.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=87677.0;all

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=86826.0;all

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=89980.0
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:27:55 PM by DoubleCoppers »
If you want peace, prepare for war.

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 02:38:41 PM »

To Jswerve,yes I have tried the stock setting,in the middle and all the way firm and all seem to transmit a very harsh impulse through the chassis and into our backs on large potholes.To DoubleCoppers,would longer shocks make it sit a lot higher?I really don't want to make it any harder to touch the ground as I am only 5'8".I have a Corbin seat on order with what they call a nose job that is supposed to help with reach.As I said much of the discussion centers on performance,not ride quality and ability to soak up bumps.That is what I am concerned with.Maybe I am expecting too cushy of a ride,Goldwing maybe? :-\
T-MAN 117 kit

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 03:33:01 PM »

I had Ohlins #3-4s on my FLHTK, and I have JRI "B" shocks on my FLHTCUSE7.  Both came from Motorcycle Metal.  Both are fantastic shocks, though the Ohlins seemed a bit more supple ride-wise. 

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
The best you've had is the best you know.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 03:43:25 PM »

Take a look at this thread.....

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=76154.0

I like that the Suspension Technologies USA suspension is set up for your weight and riding style. The front forks should be improved at the same time to get best performance of any suspension setup.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 04:01:59 PM »

To Jswerve,yes I have tried the stock setting,in the middle and all the way firm and all seem to transmit a very harsh impulse through the chassis and into our backs on large potholes.
That's really weird because I came from a FLHX with factory air shocks and we both love the HD adj shocks. They ride great.

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 04:26:06 PM »

To DoubleCoppers,would longer shocks make it sit a lot higher?I really don't want to make it any harder to touch the ground as I am only 5'8".I have a Corbin seat on order with what they call a nose job that is supposed to help with reach.

Yes, longer shocks will do that. That's one of the reasons to go to the adjustable height air suspensions (Legends, Arnott, or even homemade; and yes, there is discussion on this board about homemades). OTOH, many people get by with a larger-heeled boot and narrower/lower seat, and for less money than an air suspension (with the possible exception of a  homemade).
If you want peace, prepare for war.

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 05:03:38 PM »

I am following the home made air suspension thread.I like the idea of air suspension,especially at this price range.Besides,it would be cool to tell my buddies I have Corvette shocks! 8).I am still interested in a simple bolt on shock without going through the hassle of mounting a compressor and all associated hardware.A one inch taller shock on an angle shouldn't make too much difference.I guess it is going to boil down to my Corbin seat getting me low enough to be comfortable.If not I may have to go air ride.Thanks for all the info,you guys are a huge help!
T-MAN 117 kit

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 08:51:02 PM »

Soon after I got the '09 SERG last year (which is factory "lowered" 1" in the rear like yours), I upgraded to the HD Premium shocks (standard on yours). Although the HD P shocks were an improvement over stock, (I, like you, prefer ride quality, although I will scrape the boards once in a while) I was thinking that they should be better, played with adjustments ~ not that much noticeable difference. The left shock blew a seal after only 200+ miles, Dealer replaced both, ride about the same.

The big difference for "The Ball & Chain" and I was when I had the HD Premium Double Cartridge Forks installed and adjusted the shocks to work with the forks and everything settled in.

Now the suspension is everything that I want in a sport touring bike, Great ride quality, smooth, supple, almost no brake dive, great cornering, no wallowing, good firm feel (not harsh,as some other Popular suspensions, just right for me) And (most importantly to us) when the suspension does bottom out on those unavoidable bumps, it doesn't drive our a$$holes to our necks.

Over many years of riding I have learned that when it comes to suspensions,
the front and the rear have to play well together.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 09:44:56 PM »

I find the ride on 13 SERG far better than the 03 Fatboy, as does my BSR when she isn't driving the Fatboy. Recently put on a couple of hundred miles on with a BSR that normally spends her time on the back of 12 RK and she commented on how smooth the bike rides. I would think that something isn't right somewhere, could be you have some chit shocks that got by??? I haven't seen anybody mention tire pressures so just throwing that out there. Hope you find the cure soon and enjoy the bike - let us know what you end up doing.

Snapperkid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »

To Jswerve,yes I have tried the stock setting,in the middle and all the way firm and all seem to transmit a very harsh impulse through the chassis and into our backs on large potholes.To DoubleCoppers,would longer shocks make it sit a lot higher?I really don't want to make it any harder to touch the ground as I am only 5'8".I have a Corbin seat on order with what they call a nose job that is supposed to help with reach.As I said much of the discussion centers on performance,not ride quality and ability to soak up bumps.That is what I am concerned with.Maybe I am expecting too cushy of a ride,Goldwing maybe? :-\

You mention that you have tried setting the shock in the middle and all the way firm. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm 5'9 and 200lbs so I figure to be safe I set the rear shocks for 220 lbs. That is actually only two turns on the shock since it's preloaded to 200lbs. Figures to be one turn per 10 lbs over 200. Are you sure you are going with the recommended setting?
2015 Road Glide Special
2014 Honda Goldwing (When moma rides!)
2013 Breakout CVO (Bar Hopper)
2013 Road King CVO (Sold)
2009 Ultra CVO (Sold)
2011 Road King Custom (Sold)
2012 Road Glide CVO (Sold)
2012 Street Glide CVO (Sold)
2011 Street Glide (Sold)
2009 Street Glide (Sold)
2009 Road Glide (Sold)
2002 Road King (Sold)
1994 Softtail Springer (Sold)
1972 Harley (Can't Remember)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 03:34:27 PM »

You mention that you have tried setting the shock in the middle and all the way firm. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm 5'9 and 200lbs so I figure to be safe I set the rear shocks for 220 lbs. That is actually only two turns on the shock since it's preloaded to 200lbs. Figures to be one turn per 10 lbs over 200. Are you sure you are going with the recommended setting?
I only weigh 160 so I set it at the lowest setting and it still runs firm, my only gripe about the shocks. They ride great 2 up though my wife and I weigh about 285 combined so I run around 10-12 clicks :)

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 04:05:42 PM »

I have never read anything about preload settings,I didn't even know they were adjustable until I took the bags off the first time.I just did a quick adjustment and took it for a short ride and really didn't notice much difference between the lightest and heaviest setting by myself.Where would be a good place to start with approximately 360 pounds two up riding?Guess it's time to break out the owners manual!
T-MAN 117 kit

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 04:41:27 PM »

I have never read anything about preload settings,I didn't even know they were adjustable until I took the bags off the first time.I just did a quick adjustment and took it for a short ride and really didn't notice much difference between the lightest and heaviest setting by myself.Where would be a good place to start with approximately 360 pounds two up riding?Guess it's time to break out the owners manual!
There is a chart in your owners manual stating what setting to ride on dependent on rider weight and load. I don't know how you couldn't feel a huge difference between the low setting and high it should have been stiff as hell on the max setting!

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 07:44:44 PM »

Just dug up the owners manual section on the adjustable shocks,no wonder my wife hates them.With our combined weight I should have them set on 14!Glad she doesn't read here,I would never hear the end of it! :o. Next she is gonna make me stop and ask directions!Guess what I will be doing tomorrow at work,yep,reading my owners manual!
T-MAN 117 kit

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 10:01:04 PM »

Just dug up the owners manual section on the adjustable shocks,no wonder my wife hates them.With our combined weight I should have them set on 14!Glad she doesn't read here,I would never hear the end of it! :o. Next she is gonna make me stop and ask directions!Guess what I will be doing tomorrow at work,yep,reading my owners manual!
:D :coolblue:

steve047

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 07:17:04 AM »

I sure like my Ohlins

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 08:08:47 AM »

Ride Technologies, Great shocks, Great Company!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 07:24:06 AM »

Ohlins here.

YB
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »

Well current ride is a 09 SERG and I have been thru 2 set of high end shocks and they really helped in the handling department. On the comfort side maybe a little (not as abrupt). I will tell you most of my riding is 2 up and wife is small but I'm not. I just put a homemade aire ride system with the vette shocks. Even with the gauge, and remotes and having someone else do the work I still spent less than $500. I'm really happy. I can drop it down when we park and wife can get on and off with ease and I can adjust the ride while moving down the road. It rides great!

BigLew

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 02:18:54 PM »

Well current ride is a 09 SERG and I have been thru 2 set of high end shocks and they really helped in the handling department. On the comfort side maybe a little (not as abrupt). I will tell you most of my riding is 2 up and wife is small but I'm not. I just put a homemade aire ride system with the vette shocks. Even with the gauge, and remotes and having someone else do the work I still spent less than $500. I'm really happy. I can drop it down when we park and wife can get on and off with ease and I can adjust the ride while moving down the road. It rides great!

BigLew
Thinking of doing this. Thanks for sharing. I rode 2up about 80% of the time.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 04:38:37 PM »

The harsh ride was likely the shock bottoming out...that will jar your fillings out.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »

The harsh ride was likely the shock bottoming out...that will jar your fillings out.
Yep,now I can tell the wife she has ridden on a rigid! :huepfenlol2:BigLew,if not too much trouble could you give us a breakdown of what you used and how it was installed?Thanks for everything!
T-MAN 117 kit
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 21 queries.