Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Who makes those hinges?  (Read 2718 times)

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
Re: Who makes those hinges?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 10:44:30 AM »

I don't know if there's any truth to it or not, but a salesman at a local dealer told me that Harley was discontinuing their chrome hinges.  I had shown my hinges to him before Harley came out with theirs.  A few weeks ago, he saw me in the parking lot at the dealer and came out to tell me about Harley coming out with the hinges and that they were discontinuing them already.  He said he thought that they had some problems with them breaking.  They are still on Harley's website, so he may have been wrong.

A friend went to order a set a few months ago and the HD dealer said the part showed "obsolete".  There is now a new part number with the letter "A" added to the year designation indicating some type of production change.  Speculation I have heard was a change in manufacturer, but no one really knows what happened.  The "A" part looks the same as the one it superceded. 
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

Beach Bum

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary Edition
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Road Glide
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 11:39:30 AM »

I do know that the Harley chrome hinges did not fit properly on chopped tour paks.  At first it was not known (or disclosed), but if you read the fine print now it specifically states king tour paks only.  The word I received from the HD Parts guy was that HD wanted to sell all the old hinges before introducing the revised hinge.  That was just speculation on his part though.  It appears that in the link to Dick, his fits chopped tour paks.  Is that correct?

Beach Bum

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary Edition
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Road Glide
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 12:00:02 PM »

Is this what you are looking for? I have them and they look and work great.

Premium Tour-Pak® Hinges
Upgrade the appearance of your King Tour-Pak® with these premium hinges. Stylized to complement the Original Equipment Tour-Pak® latches, these hinges are polished and chrome plated with no exposed hardware. Kit includes two hinges, and all necessary hardware. Drill required to remove the original equipment rivets.
79211-08A
Fits '88-later models equipped with Chopped or King Tour Pak Luggage.
MSRP US $49.95

That is the P/N of the revised hinge (note the "A" at the end).  As of last Friday, the local HD dealer did not show these as available.  At half the price of Dick's hinges, I hope that HD has some parts in stock.  Will check it out today.  Thanks.

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 03:39:32 PM »

It appears that in the link to Dick, his fits chopped tour paks.  Is that correct?

The ones from Dick Pomeroy (mailto:dickelk@aol.com) definitely fit chopped tour paks.  He provided me the fastest service I've ever experienced form a vendor.  It seemed to be within two days from receipt of order from Michigan (I think) to California.  Excellent vendor!
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 04:44:33 PM »

The ones from Dick Pomeroy just plain look nicer than the ones from Harley.  For that alone, they are worth double the price.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 07:48:16 PM »

I do know that the Harley chrome hinges did not fit properly on chopped tour paks.  At first it was not known (or disclosed), but if you read the fine print now it specifically states king tour paks only.  The word I received from the HD Parts guy was that HD wanted to sell all the old hinges before introducing the revised hinge.  That was just speculation on his part though.  It appears that in the link to Dick, his fits chopped tour paks.  Is that correct?

On a chopped pak:

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 12:49:57 PM »

If you can't get the HD hinges from your dealer try phoning other dealers. These hinges should plentiful and in stock at most dealers. And no question the HD hinges look much, much better than the other ones. As you can see from the earier posted photo they are gorgeous!! :) :)  

If you can't get these from a US HD dealer try calling a Canadian dealer and I'm sure they would be glad to send you a set.

You are joking...right?  I think you are the first person that likes the HD hinges better than the group buy hinges.   :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 03:24:30 PM »

These hinges should plentiful and in stock at most dealers.

Why?

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 08:34:23 PM »

I prefer the HD hinges as well.  And as I was going to point out earlier, you know what they say about opinions.
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 08:56:42 PM »

At half the price the other hinges would be 50% to expensive. The HD hinges match the latches on the other side while the other ones look more like a chromed OE hinge.

Well, I guess that's why they make different styles of wheels, and many other items...we have different tastes.  As far as the group buy hinges go, they look nothing like a chromed version of the OE hinge.  I'm getting the impression that you never actually saw them installed on a bike in person when you make that statement.  Fact be told, I've never actually seen the HD hinges mounted on a bike, but I just didn't find them appealing in the pictures or holding one in my hand.  Maybe it's just my way of rationalizing since I already had the other hinges installed when Harley came out with theirs, but I think I would have still gone with the others.  I'm not going to get into a urination match regarding who has better taste.  I'll just agree to disagree and leave it at that. :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 22 queries.