Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quiz to high uneven rubber wear  (Read 2243 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Quiz to high uneven rubber wear
« on: December 30, 2012, 02:07:40 PM »

Heres a good one to get the gray mas working,

I went over to my lock up to day (bike being stabled for winter) to do some miner checks
            and to be sure shes comfy for the cold to come.

Heres were Quiz kicks in, I did a Tire rubber tread depth check and found on the left side from center
            of the rubber I had a scale reading of 4mm tread.
            I did the same on the right side from center of the rubber I had a scale reading of 3mm tread.
            I rechecked and rechecked came out the same 4mm left 3mm right.

The tires are stock HD rubber with 6000+mi. Can any one come up with as to why the discrepancy
            from one side to the other?

Any thoughts on this welcomed. I'll be doing some digging on this side as well.

Cheers,

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Quiz to high uneven rubber wear
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 04:26:50 PM »

The crown of the road.  You guys drive on the wrong side over there, so the right side of the tire would be on the "uphill" part of the crown.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »

The crown of the road.  You guys drive on the wrong side over there, so the right side of the tire would be on the "uphill" part of the crown.

That was the first thing I thought of also  :2vrolijk_21:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 10:38:28 AM »

The crown of the roads a good thought. The prob. with that is our roads are in part mainly flat, thats why
          when it rains here (and it dose that more often then not) the roads get quit water logged.

But in saying that if it was the crown of the road do you not think it's a bit excessive wear a hole 1mm
         in 6000, and you guys (being on the wrong side of the road HA HA) would yous not have the same on kind
         of wear to the left do to the crowning of your roads.

Has any one done a tread depth check for the difference between the left and right side of the rubber?
        To see how much the crown is a factor on the wear of the wheel, or is there something else at work here?

What are the findings on your depth checks, difference between left and right wear from centre.

I would like to try to identify what the cause of the high wear discrepency is.

Again Thanks for all and any input you may have to try and identify this gremlin reching out of the road. :2vrolijk_21:

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 10:49:23 AM »

Are the tires Cupping?  this was a problem with some of the tires back on the 07's and 09's? think it was model 407's then the 408's then they reversed the tread if memory serves.   Usually you can hear it if you roll the bike on a flat surface while you walk beside it very distinctive sound.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 11:09:34 AM »

What was the tire pressure?   can you feel anything when you run your hand across the tred or front to back?

If there weren't known issues with some of the tires that were out there might consider looking at front forks for uneven wear such as oil / seals etc.    Or do you race it on a oval track going one way only  :huepfenlol2:  :huepfenlol2:
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 11:53:57 AM »

IF you assume it isn't the crown of the road, is there possibly some other reason why your bike could be running down the road slightly off vertical?  Some possibilities off the top of my head; more weight on one side than the other, or the rider isn't centered on the bike, or perhaps the bike itself is out of alignment.

Don't you guys have a lot of those crazy roundabouts over there?  Have you ever gotten stuck in one and just went round and round for a very long time? ;)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 12:13:03 PM »

I had the same problem on an OEM front tire (it was the left side for me) of my SEEG.  Took it to the dealership and the lead Tech. said "oh, that's due to the crown in the roads.....they're building them higher now".

It was a lot more exagerated in my case and a lot less miles.  No cupping just the left side of the tire looked about like the tire I'd taken off a couple thousand miles earlier and the right side still looked new.

I asked him "then why didn't that happen to my last tire(s).....and why doen't my back tire look the same, it rode the same crowns....and why isn't there any other bikes in here that has a front tire looking like mine.

I never took it back to that dealership.....my bike went to Jim's every time, from that point on.

I don't know for sure but I can only assume it was due to a bad batch of rubber compound in the mold....wrong tempreture when it went in the mold or something like that. :nixweiss:

It never did it to any of my tires after that.......not on my SEEG or the SESG or Terrie's SG.  I think when I had the tire replaced they must have flattened all the crowns in the roads.   :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 03:13:38 PM »

IF you assume it isn't the crown of the road, is there possibly some other reason why your bike could be running down the road slightly off vertical?  Some possibilities off the top of my head; more weight on one side than the other, or the rider isn't centered on the bike, or perhaps the bike itself is out of alignment.

Don't you guys have a lot of those crazy roundabouts over there?  Have you ever gotten stuck in one and just went round and round for a very long time? ;)

Jerry

I went to a independent bike tire shop, he informed me it's a common problem that a lot of riders have here
       with there new bikes with stock tires.

Jerry you hit the nail on the head "ROUNDABOUTS" he recommended going with a European brand  
      such as a continental thy are made to compensate for the roundabouts we have for longer life tire.

When the time comes I'll change to the continentals. And  be keeping a watch on the difference in the wear.

I hope this Gremlin has been put to rest.

Thanks to you all for your feed back.   HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR ride safe  :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/motorcycle/themes/downloads/handbuch/technical_manual_en.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:34:59 PM by longlast »

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 02:44:43 PM »

Hey Longlast -- Nice bike! 
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 22 queries.