Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Wobbling at 110mph  (Read 17838 times)

BakedInMN

• Junior CVO Member
    • MN

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE
Re: Wobbling at 110mph
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 04:14:33 PM »

My 2010 FLHTCU handled much better at high speeds than my 2013 FLHTCUSE8. Very stable at 100+. This one makes me go white knuckled over 85. I know this isn't a solution but I am confirming that for some reason the 2013 get's mighty squirrelly compared to my 2010.
My current stable:
1972 FLH Shovelhead
2003 FXSD 100th Anniversary Blue
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
2014 FXSBSE Molten Cobalt

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 06:51:25 PM »

If it starts wobbling at 110 twist the throotle a bit more and maybe it'll clear up at 120 or 125
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 07:22:48 PM »

here is a loaded question what is the proper/recomended tire presue?
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 09:37:11 PM »

My CVO Road Glide doesn't wobble until I hit 225 MPH. :D

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2013, 04:01:10 PM »

Speed wobbles can occur whenever something starts a vibration that matches a resonant frequency of the wheels. A resonant frequency is one at which your motorcycle will vibrate very easily; a particular motorcycle may have multiple resonant frequencies. The starting point may be a bump in the road, a rough patch in the road, or some combination of these factors. Other potential contributing factors include the small torques resulting from wheel rotation and the tiny lateral oscillations that spinning wheels make if they're not aligned with absolute perfection.
Your motorcycle will go through various "zones" of oscillatory stability and instability as it accelerates up to its highest speed. you might even compare this to musical notes or octaves of relative vibrational resonance.

Steering dampners are made to help with this problem as the main dampner ( you ) cannot always handle the correction of the vibrations.
The best advise is to slow down, as this can be a fatal but also unavoidable occurrence and even though the problem may go away with more speed the best way to take the bike out of that particular resonance range is to back off.

The tread of your tires could also be a contributing factor, particularly the front one. different treads have different resonant properties.

In addition to above, get both wheels statically and dynamically balanced. It reduces wobble, increases road holding and reduces tire wear and rider fatigue. Check forks and swing arm for correct operation. A lack of fork oil and too much side play in the swing arm are sources of vibration. Check panier box lids are fitting properly and are locked. Lid 'chatter' in the wind can be one of those resonances mentioned above that sets wobble off.

Hog95023

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2013, 09:22:42 PM »

09 and later touring models can be expected to be rock stable at and over 120 mph - and usually are, that's no exceptional speed on a German Autobahn. If they are not, it's usually a maintenance, mostly tire, pressure or bearing matter. At least H-D Germany will go at any length if after checking those "usual suspects" a bike still is not, as over here the bike has to be safe and stable up to it's mechanical top speed.
I would love being able to ride my bike on that rode.

Rat Patrol

• 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2013, 09:54:36 PM »

Speed wobbles can occur whenever something starts a vibration that matches a resonant frequency of the wheels. A resonant frequency is one at which your motorcycle will vibrate very easily; a particular motorcycle may have multiple resonant frequencies. The starting point may be a bump in the road, a rough patch in the road, or some combination of these factors. Other potential contributing factors include the small torques resulting from wheel rotation and the tiny lateral oscillations that spinning wheels make if they're not aligned with absolute perfection.
Your motorcycle will go through various "zones" of oscillatory stability and instability as it accelerates up to its highest speed. you might even compare this to musical notes or octaves of relative vibrational resonance.

Steering dampners are made to help with this problem as the main dampner ( you ) cannot always handle the correction of the vibrations.
The best advise is to slow down, as this can be a fatal but also unavoidable occurrence and even though the problem may go away with more speed the best way to take the bike out of that particular resonance range is to back off.

The tread of your tires could also be a contributing factor, particularly the front one. different treads have different resonant properties.

In addition to above, get both wheels statically and dynamically balanced. It reduces wobble, increases road holding and reduces tire wear and rider fatigue. Check forks and swing arm for correct operation. A lack of fork oil and too much side play in the swing arm are sources of vibration. Check panier box lids are fitting properly and are locked. Lid 'chatter' in the wind can be one of those resonances mentioned above that sets wobble off.

Very good info Cat eyes, thank you.
Just passing a semi and a couple cars on a Ducati will put you in the 115 to 140 range, with phenomenal handling. I would hope the new "Tractor" (CVO RK) will have some passing power, as I'm not much of a follower. I don't believe Harley has engineered a wobble into their bike, most likely sloppy assembly which can be fixed. I have not had the "Tractor" over the century mark, waiting for the rain to quit.
Sportbike wannabe, is that Australian?
International Heat & Frost Insulators
Working Class: The class that built America

firehog383

• Junior CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2013, 12:12:15 AM »

110 Wobble thats funny stuff!!! You go Girl! I have road that same stretch at a buck twenty when I started to feel the wooble on my 07. My 12 CVO SG is sure footed at 110, I havent been east of the mountains yet to open it up on a long enough stretch to do it safely. :jalapeno:

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2013, 11:05:40 AM »

Had mine to 115 mph once ripping it with my brother after he put cams and heads on his 103". Probably won't do that again but it was pretty stable even with my wife on the back.

Wanna go fast with good handling? Buy a sport bike that's built for those speeds!

Keep the shiny side up!
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2013, 01:10:03 PM »

Interesting comments..........I find that speed  has something to do with the song that is playing at the time.............just want to twist that throttle more!!! Maybe change your music selections if you want to slow down! :D :bananarock:

redrodo

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Limited
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2013, 01:52:23 PM »

Thanks for the explanation Cat Eyes. The change in wheel style in the 2013 might be causing some of the problem.

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2013, 07:37:25 PM »

mine is great with no wobble at 115...but that is why I got the Road Glide!! :2vrolijk_21: :oops:
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2013, 12:47:16 PM »

:nervous:
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2013, 01:01:29 PM »

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2013, 01:48:38 PM »

Is that MPH or KM   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:

I guess that will depend on whether you're bike is RED or one of the other slower colors......   :huepfenjump3:
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.