Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: HTCC Heads or Stock ported Heads??  (Read 10103 times)

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
  • Non Riding for the moment!!
HTCC Heads or Stock ported Heads??
« on: September 06, 2007, 11:30:37 PM »

I am going to do the SE-103 kit on the 08 ultra and I was going to go with the SE-HTCC heads, but after doing some checking, I've been told to have the stock heads ported & polished instead!!  :confused5:
  I was told that it would be alot better, what do you guys think?? :nixweiss:

This was the plan-
            SE-103 cylinders
            HTCC heads
            High comp. pistons
            260 cams
            High flow a/c
            SERT
            D & D 2-into-1 Exhaust
            SE clutch

I know that there is probably better choices, but it doesn't have to be radical, just want alittle bit more  :smart: :smart:

So is it worth having my heads done or is the HTCC heads good enough?? :huh2:

MIKE

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: HTCC Heads or Stock ported Heads??
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 12:57:59 AM »

I am going to do the SE-103 kit on the 08 ultra and I was going to go with the SE-HTCC heads, but after doing some checking, I've been told to have the stock heads ported & polished instead!!  :confused5:
  I was told that it would be alot better, what do you guys think?? :nixweiss:

This was the plan-
            SE-103 cylinders
            HTCC heads
            High comp. pistons
            260 cams
            High flow a/c
            SERT
            D & D 2-into-1 Exhaust
            SE clutch

I know that there is probably better choices, but it doesn't have to be radical, just want alittle bit more  :smart: :smart:

So is it worth having my heads done or is the HTCC heads good enough?? :huh2:

MIKE

Mike,

Personally I would not be doing the 260 cam on a 103 in a heavy bike like you have in the ultra.   This cam comes on late and you want to get a heavy bike moving from the start.   I would have your existing heads redone unless you just cant live with the down time to send them out.  Hopefully, this is a winter project for you and the time doesn't really factor in since you have snow on the ground.
On the 103 motor I would tell you to look at a few different cams depending on what your final compression ratio is.
If your out to stay all harley I would say the 251 is a better choice than the 260. 

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 05:59:17 AM »

wut harry said. also consider a set of donor heads that can be worked to match your build. this eliminates down time and is much less expensive than a htcc build.

also remember, the first decision to make is cam selection. the entire build revolves around your cam. and you choose cam according to weight, gearing, riding style, how much power and where, etc:

always good to consult a good head guy before buying any parts. this will keep you from spending lots of money in the WRONG areas.

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 09:19:59 AM »

The 260 cam is what the SE book recommends with the HTCC heads, I had the 255 cam and the 258 cam in my other bike. The 255's pulled nice, the 258's had alittle more top and lost alittle of the bottom end.

Do you think that the 251's would be to mild?? :confused5:

Thanks

MIKE

hogasm

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 09:54:58 AM »

Did that build on a 07 ultra, with the HTCC hesds. That is what the man wanted. Cam comes in too late. He hated it. I tried to convince him to go with 251's and head work to the stock heads....he has 251's, and re worked heads in it now. Pulls great, for using harley parts.Sold his HTCC heads and cams to a guy with soft tail. That build is better suited for that bike.

tommyo

• Throttles on the right!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 05:25:59 PM »

I have 585g cams and HTCC heads and yes it is late. Need to get big bike moving quicker. Looking into 2 into 1 exhaust. It doesn't matter what SirMike103 builds it won't last very long this guy gets bored easy!! :2vrolijk_21:
When in doubt... GAS it!!!

Starting over!!

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 08:26:52 PM »

I am going to switch it around and do the stock heads and the 251 cams, I don't mind  waiting during the down time, even though like TommyO says that I get bored easy  :zzz:
 I will just think of something else to do to it during the time  :idea2: :idea2:

Thanks for the info :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

MIKE

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 08:48:50 PM »

I have 585g cams and HTCC heads and yes it is late. Need to get big bike moving quicker. Looking into 2 into 1 exhaust. It doesn't matter what SirMike103 builds it won't last very long this guy gets bored easy!! :2vrolijk_21:
  Yah, his is way late, when he hits about 4000rpm, it's like turning on a switch :vrolijk_24:

Then when he hits about 120mph, it's like popping another switch when his tour-pack pops open and throws him to the left  :wreck: :wreck:

True story, If it was me, I would of Sh#* my pants  :puke:

Lesson today boys & girls, always make sure your tour-pack is latched before you take off and decide to do 100+ :zstupid: :zstupid:

:stupid:
                                                       MIKE

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 09:43:35 PM »

I am going to switch it around and do the stock heads and the 251 cams, I don't mind  waiting during the down time, even though like TommyO says that I get bored easy  :zzz:
 I will just think of something else to do to it during the time  :idea2: :idea2:

Thanks for the info :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

MIKE

Michael

To answer your original question, my experience has been to get the stock heads redone.
The HTCC are factory heads not race shop heads. They may be fine but to get them to perform like a set of race shop heads you have to send them to that race shop. So I see no sense in spending the same money twice.
Do it once with the stock heads and be done with it!

As for the money you save we will gladly help you spend it on other parts!

S
  /
    B

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 11:12:14 PM »

Michael

To answer your original question, my experience has been to get the stock heads redone.
The HTCC are factory heads not race shop heads. They may be fine but to get them to perform like a set of race shop heads you have to send them to that race shop. So I see no sense in spending the same money twice.

S
  /
    B
  Everyone here seems to do that well, spend my money  :shocked2:  Everytime I am on this sight, I end up spending more money  :confused5: But at least I am smarter about what I spend it on, right  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks
                                                                         MIKE

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 07:38:30 AM »

Michael

S
  /
    B

well said. wish i could communicate as easily.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 10:26:58 AM »

Mike,

Personally I would not be doing the 260 cam on a 103 in a heavy bike like you have in the ultra.   This cam comes on late and you want to get a heavy bike moving from the start.   I would have your existing heads redone unless you just cant live with the down time to send them out.  Hopefully, this is a winter project for you and the time doesn't really factor in since you have snow on the ground.
On the 103 motor I would tell you to look at a few different cams depending on what your final compression ratio is.
If your out to stay all harley I would say the 251 is a better choice than the 260. 

-harry

I agree with Harry, the stock heads can be tailored to the setup you choose at a lower cost. I'm going to have Cycle Rama in Fla do mine. I think they might have done Hoist heads and cams for his new build.
http://www.cycle-rama.com/

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 10:44:35 AM »

I think they might have done Hoist heads and cams for his new build.
http://www.cycle-rama.com/

Talon

Wes is a great designer and builder.
I have and saved a PM that said that Harry designed the heads on Hoist bike.
After I fell out of my chair from that humourous statement, I did check to see what the facts really were.
I really don't understand why people lie about things like this but my suggestion is for you to talk to Wes.
He speaks the truth.

S
  /
    B

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 11:33:54 AM »

Chip,

Lets get some things straight here since I didn't say I designed the heads,  the combination is something I picked out with Wes not Howie and I chose the combination.   I chose to have the cam redone instead of buying a ground cam from Andrews that Wes Designed.   Yes the 255 reground to a 595.   Wes had originally wanted to run a 570 cam, although it was too much compression and I chose to use the 595 with his head work.   Howie got the heads and the information only because I shared it with him.   I was at Wes's and he had the heads there almost ready to go and I passed on them so I could finish paying hospital bills and then called Howie who then changed his build from a 251 and whatever other combination he was doing.   So don't let howie or your mis information stray you from the truth.   The only thing Howie did was pay joe to try combinations the rest was just buying the parts.   As far as designing anything they were all Wes's all I did was put the package together with information given to me by Wes and I proceeded from there.   I left the 255 there for wes to see if he had enough meat on the cam to build it into a 595 so it would look stock.   From there Chuck built the bike and tuned it.

Facts as you put them weren't written by me or said by me so you can get back in your chair and stfu, because about the only thing you enjoy doing is twisting peoples knobs for the sake of being who you are.   

This site needs less of this, but you strive on trying to do public humiliation.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=14707.msg246863#msg246863

Here is a link to exactly what I said.

Chief,   

I just got off the phone with Wes in regards to some transmission warranty work he has in process for me and while on the phone asked him how he wanted this explained since the drama around this package has just gone way to far.   What was supposed to be a quiet non discussed package since it is not a proven combinaton yet has turned into a huge long thread.

This package is infact something I worked out with Wes Brown at Cycle Rama for my 110" Ultra.    I then shared the information with Howie and passed on the headwork due to paying off my remaining hospital bills from my accident.   I called Howie to let him know that I passed on the heads and that since his bike was supposed to be coming apart that he could have them if he wanted them and what throttle body Wes was suggesting and that I would be getting the 2nd set.   

Howie then went with the rest of the package and is now testing some different combinations with throttlebody / air induction / exhaust with his tuner Joe.   I am just waiting on my 58mm throttle body and my blanks to come in.  The cam was installed some weeks ago as the first test.  It works very well but requires more lift than the stock springs have.

The throttlebody suggested by Wes the 58 mm seems to be right on the button with the cam chosen for the 110's based on the preliminary results, but Howie's results may speak contrary to that based on his combination.   

The package that is currently being tested can be had by sending your heads off to Wes or buying heads from him which are 07 blanks, having them shaved a bit to create some compression or going with 10.25 pistons, and then have the heads worked with a change in springs to handle slightly higher lift than they can withstand today.   This should yield an approx compression of 9.6 - 10.0 to 1 with shaved and approx 10.5 - 10.7 with high compression pistons.   You will need a larger throttlebody and injectors 55mm / 58mm depending on the final results.  You could continue to use your flat top pistons, but I would recommend if you decide to go flat tops that you buy forged and new rings and a ball hone.   I would also recommend new lifters, and possibly roller rockers.   

The cam Wes's 595 can be had in 07 chain drive or in gear drive.   They are not on the shelf for the 07's and are ground to order by I believe Andrews for Wes, but you would have to double check that point with Wes.   

Hope this gives you the needed information, for prices and availability please call Wes at Cycle Rama.
www.cycle-rama.com     (727) 546-0889

What is needed:

Heads or Headwork

cylinders honed / new cylinders   I would go with new cylinders or have the dealer get you new cylinders due to the leak problems.   I have yet to hear of anyone having leaking problems once they have been replaced.  Time will tell but ya know better safe than sorry.

flat tops old / flat tops new forged / 10.25 high compression
Cam 595  / 07 chain / Gear Drive version
Gaskets
Rocker Box clearancing
Lifters
Adjustable Push Rods
A good tune

Optional Items:
Roller Rockers
High Flow Oil Filter
upgraded Clutch
VPC

-harry

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 11:48:22 AM »

Change of plans, I decided not to get the 08, I am going to get an 07 instead  :zwtf:
I went back and forth a few times and after talking to someone this weekend, they helped me change my mine back to the 07  :2vrolijk_21:
I can get an 07 for good price now and I can do the motor work whenever I am ready, they won't have any tuners out for awhile on the 08's and who knows how they will be  :nixweiss:

So I will stick to the 07, I will pick it up tomorrow and break it in alittle bit, then go and do the motor in a few weeks.

Motor plan-

SE-103 cylinders  w/ SE flat top forged pistons
    Heads ported & shaved (9.8.1) w/ 50mm t-body matched
    SE 251 cams             
    SERT / high flow A/C
    D & D 2-1 exhaust, w/ dummy pipe
    SE clutch plate kit & spring

Hopefully it should run pretty good, I know there is probably better ways to go, but this is all I need for me :vrolijk_10:

After all this, I'm done   :lolk:

MIKE  :idea3: :idea3: :idea3: :idea3:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 10:55:40 PM by SirMichael103 »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 12:06:21 PM »

SirMichael,

As long as your faster than Tommy it should be ok :)   Good luck with the new ride, and your build.   Let me know how you fair or when you are coming down to see your friends in Edgewater.   Maybe you pry Tommy away to join you for some riding.

-harry

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 12:36:24 PM »

SirMichael,

As long as your faster than Tommy it should be ok :)   Good luck with the new ride, and your build.   Let me know how you fair or when you are coming down to see your friends in Edgewater.   Maybe you pry Tommy away to join you for some riding.

-harry

Hey Harry,
    I will definitly get down there sometime soon, I hope!! If I have to, I will just load up tommys bike and lock it in the trailer, then he will have to come down  :2vrolijk_21:

I will get him down there somehow!! Besides, we both owe you & your wife a nice dinner for all the help you have done for us  :beerchug:

Thanks again,

MIKE
   Yah, thats all I do this for, so I
 can beat tommy :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 12:41:56 PM »

SirMichael,

Yah, thats all I do this for, so I  can beat tommy :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

I know how it is hehe just ask Rhino :)

Look forward to meeting you guys when you finally kidnap him and bring him on down.

tommyo

• Throttles on the right!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 06:51:49 AM »

Don't tell mike but when I'm ready I'll give you a call. Going to build a big bad nasty ride and need your help... LOL! Something that is going to tear the tips off the 'ol Rineharts! Maybe see you in the spring.
When in doubt... GAS it!!!

Starting over!!

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 09:04:53 AM »

Don't tell mike but when I'm ready I'll give you a call. Going to build a big bad nasty ride and need your help... LOL! Something that is going to tear the tips off the 'ol Rineharts! Maybe see you in the spring.
After Tommy calls you, I will give you a call and talk to you about that 124  :o  :o

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 10:25:22 PM »

Got the bike today :bananarock: :bananarock: Put about 60 miles on it. Tommy and I will ride tommorow, about 200 miles probably.
 I will do the motor in about two weeks, can't wait  :bigok: I have most of the stuff for it already, just have to send the heads & throttle body out to be done, then I can do the motor once they come back!!

Will get some pics up soon!!

MIKE :coolblue:

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 11:59:03 PM »

Mikey you knew it was coming and I couldnt disappoint ya 

:worthless:

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 09:12:23 AM »

Yah, I knew it was coming, I'll get them up soon  :huepfenpinkie: :huepfenpinkie:

Going riding with Tommy now, be back later!!

Be nice to me, you know you have to ride the bike before you take pictures of the thing, am I right  :vrolijk_10: :vrolijk_10:

Later
                                                     MIKE

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 11:00:18 PM »

Change of plans, I decided not to get the 08, I am going to get an 07 instead  :zwtf:
I went back and forth a few times and after talking to someone this weekend, they helped me change my mine back to the 07  :2vrolijk_21:
I can get an 07 for good price now and I can do the motor work whenever I am ready, they won't have any tuners out for awhile on the 08's and who knows how they will be  :nixweiss:

So I will stick to the 07, I will pick it up tomorrow and break it in alittle bit, then go and do the motor in a few weeks.

Motor plan-

SE-103 cylinders  w/ SE flat top forged pistons
    Heads ported & shaved (9.8.1) w/ 50mm t-body matched
    SE 251 cams             
    SERT / high flow A/C
    D & D 2-1 exhaust, w/ dummy pipe
    SE clutch plate kit & spring

Hopefully it should run pretty good, I know there is probably better ways to go, but this is all I need for me :vrolijk_10:

After all this, I'm done   :lolk:

MIKE  :idea3: :idea3: :idea3: :idea3:

Harry,
 I am still waiting to get your approval on my motor plan, it goes in next week!!

I know you like to use other products, but this shouldn't be to bad, Huh?? :nixweiss:

Let me know what you think!

Later

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 11:05:55 PM »

Mikey you knew it was coming and I couldnt disappoint ya 

:worthless:

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 03:25:55 PM »

Sir Michael,

Depending on who does the headwork, this combination should yield you in the neighborhood of 100 / 100.
You may get a little more you may get a little less the headwork should determine that as well as the tune.   The 03 anniversary Ultra I did the motor work on was very similiar to this build.   The results on Orlando Harley's dyno for that 103 was 117 / 109 with 251 cam, but that was 10.5 to 1 compression and Al Redman did the headwork.

Personally I would rather see you looking at a cam that has a quicker closing intake like a 570 cam from Wes Brown or any of the other cams like it that are out there.   It will help you get that bagger moving, but I can't knock the combination for reliability or its ability to run decently.   One other thing I say to consider is instead of buying the Harley throttlebody the 50 to look at the horsepower inc 51 mm throttle body it has a much larger intake and air volume flow to it.   Whatever throttlebody you decide on, send it to the person doing your heads so they can match the flow up together with the heads they are doing the work on.

I think it is a safe build that will yield good reliability and decent performance for you until Tommy decides to step up to the plate and spend some money :)

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 11:16:43 PM »

Sir Michael,

Depending on who does the headwork, this combination should yield you in the neighborhood of 100 / 100.
You may get a little more you may get a little less the headwork should determine that as well as the tune.   The 03 anniversary Ultra I did the motor work on was very similiar to this build.   The results on Orlando Harley's dyno for that 103 was 117 / 109 with 251 cam, but that was 10.5 to 1 compression and Al Redman did the headwork.

Personally I would rather see you looking at a cam that has a quicker closing intake like a 570 cam from Wes Brown or any of the other cams like it that are out there.   It will help you get that bagger moving, but I can't knock the combination for reliability or its ability to run decently.   One other thing I say to consider is instead of buying the Harley throttlebody the 50 to look at the horsepower inc 51 mm throttle body it has a much larger intake and air volume flow to it.   Whatever throttlebody you decide on, send it to the person doing your heads so they can match the flow up together with the heads they are doing the work on.

I think it is a safe build that will yield good reliability and decent performance for you until Tommy decides to step up to the plate and spend some money :)

Thanks harry,

I am having them match the 50mm t-body to the heads. I was guessing numbers in about the same range 102/104 maybe more, we'll see!! :nixweiss:

I'll post everything when it gets done!! :2vrolijk_21:

Later
 Tommy spend money  :ROFLOL:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 11:20:17 PM by SirMichael103 »
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 21 queries.